Ford GT National Rally III!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Question for all you veterans of former Rallys... looking at the cost to ship my car of about $3200, does it make any sense to plan on coming to the rally but leave the gal home? I have never been to one and really would hate to miss it, but money is tight now and "it wouldn't be prudent" spend that shipping money right now. Decisions decisions!

Is that $3,200 one way or round trip?

A fellow Fla. resident of yours is about to have a white/blue shipped from the NW corner of Wash. St. TO Fla via Hog Haulers for $2,600. That's why I ask. (One way from Fla. to 'VEGAS thru them should be MUCHO less than that one would think...)

Re: bringing the car...I know of several owers who (for various reasons) left their cars at home and had a total BLAST anyway. So, it's yur call on that'n...:biggrin

Last edited:

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
That's round trip for 3200

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That's round trip for 3200

Aaaaaaaaaaaah. That sounds about right then - :thumbsup

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Is the hotel full?

I'm wondering the same thing. Just used the link on the first page of this thread and I get a "no rooms match your dates." Are the blocked rooms gone?

I can always try Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I left my GT home last year, FL to CA was a LONG way.
I still had a great time, yes, that was me racing the Hummer around the track, WooHoo.

Not sure if I'll bring my GT to vegas or not, nice to take it out on the track, at least once, but it's a very long trip just for a few laps.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Ford GT, don't leave home without it!

Question for all you veterans of former Rallys... looking at the cost to ship my car of about $3200, does it make any sense to plan on coming to the rally but leave the gal home? I have never been to one and really would hate to miss it, but money is tight now and "it wouldn't be prudent" spend that shipping money right now. Decisions decisions!

Andy,

I have been to every single rally. I live in Arizona and during the months leading up to Rally I, I tried for two months to organize a transport that several of us could share to get our GTs to Detroit. The cost would have been about $3000 round-trip per car if several of us shared the transport which was fine with me. To ship my car solo would have cost me about $7,000 round-trip. I knew it would be a mistake to go to that rally without my yellow GT. My fellow Arizona GT owners did not share my view on this and they all decided to go without their cars to save the $3000. $7,000 was a bit beyond me so we all ended up going without our cars. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!! We weren't at the rally 30 minutes when we knew we had made a huge error. When you see and hear 200 Ford GTs light up all at once and head for the freeway and you're in a four-door Chevrolet rental car, it's AGONIZING. Every one of my fellow owners who came without their car readily admitted they made a big mistake.

We all felt like we had gone to a swingers convention without our girlfriends! :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :frown

Trust me on this one. When you're in your Ford GT hurtling down the freeway at speed in the middle of dozens of other GTs, you feel like you're in contention at LeMans. The sound, the smell, and the entire scene is surreal.

I don't care what it costs, you will regret it if you come without your GT. After that first experience in Detroit, where I did have fun but spent the entire time wishing my car was there, I have never again attended a GT function without my GT. Take it from someone who's been there, done that, and I still have the "Rally I" T-shirt to prove it. Bring your car!!!

Chip

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm wondering the same thing. Just used the link on the first page of this thread and I get a "no rooms match your dates." Are the blocked rooms gone?

I can always try Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

Just looked and our block is not full. Will try and get ahold of someone tomorrow.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
does it make any sense to plan on coming to the rally but leave the gal home?

That would be like flying to Sturgis and renting a bicycle to ride around.:frown Like Chip said, you'd feel badly out of place and you'd miss most of the fun.

You only live once and how often will you get a chance to experience something like this again?

This would be worth taking out a loan for.:thumbsup

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
<<I left my GT home last year, FL to CA was a LONG way.
I still had a great time

Not sure if I'll bring my GT to vegas or not, nice to take it out on the track, at least once, but it's a very long trip just for a few laps.>>

Agreed. I went to Rally 1 without the GT, went to Rally 2 with the GT. Had fun at both Rallies. Sure, it's better to have the car, but if it means staying home otherwise, definitely come without the GT and rent something in Vegas for a lot less!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Andy, I drove to Rally I from St. Louis, so not so bad, plus the Texas and Oklahoma boys came here and we really got to know each other well (that's why I won't talk to them ever again). For Rally II, I had business in LA and talked another company into paying for my flight, so I went sans car. Did have a rental Lincoln MKZ. Besides the hootin and hollerin from the faithful, I still had a great time without the car. If you can't do it, it's more important to be there than not.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Thanks for the input guys...I think Chip really has a point. I would really like to avoid the swingers convention problem!!! I'll talk to the misses, but I agree it is a once in a lifetime opportunity esp with Shelby there (who knows if he'll make another one).

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
If you are in Fla. I can recommend going to a Chin Motorsport event at one of the Fla tracks. I have been to Sebring twice with the GT and it was great. Happy to chat with you sometime if you are interested.

Last edited:

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I wouldn't compare being GT less at a Rally to being Girl less at a swingers convention. I've been to both, and girl less is much worse, they won't even let you in! :wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:lol

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Andymlow-
I have been to both rallys with my GT and fully endorse Chip's thoughts. Driving around town in our cars is fun. Not many vehicles around us in day to day traffic than can even try to match the performance of our cars. Change the scenerio to 10 GT's in front and 10 in your rear view along with 4 in each adjacent lane and it really is surreal! Now you are surrounded by (mostly) equally performing vehicles and the experience will be with you a lifetime. It is hard to appreciate the beautiful look of a GT traveling down the road. As a driver you just do not have the perspective.
With GT's all around you in ever color and being driven by your now acquainted best friends....it is simply unbelieveable and HAS to be experienced!
If at all possible do try to bring your car. The assemblage of all the cars during fireup alone is worth the price of admission.

(And note, Frank IS bringing his car to Vegas this year!!)

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I mentioned this on the NY/NJ/PA Rally III thread, but I'll mention it again here. The right seat in my GT is currently empty. If there's somebody who is not bringing their car and wants to ride shotgun, let me know.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas

Maybe I missed a post..........DRIVE IT.....cheaper and caravan with other GT"s. Is not airfare about equivalent to gas expense? Save rental while your there too. Too many trailer queens here. Leave the Q-tips and Armorall at home.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Is there a deadline to register for the rally?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

The key word is bringing!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

The key word is bringing!

Is Bony bringing the "For Sale" sign?