5.8 Liter 2013 Shelby GT-500 Confirmed

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
For $55LARGE that's got to be the performance deal of all time. I'd love to have a new B2 in the driveway, but for not a lot more coin, you get the absolute monster. BTW, it took a lot of stones for Ford to admit to a 200mph pony car.
I bet the @$$hats at the EPA loved that one.
Kinda like old times. Remember, you coulda had a GT, a Mach 1, a Boss 302, or a Boss 429, or the Shelby GT350 or 500 route. Today its like, "Hmm, let's see. Do I start with a 420 horse GT, move up to a 444 horse Boss 302, or go crazy with a 650 horsepower KILLER?"
Decisions, decisions....

H

HHGT

And the wars of words, tit-for-tat begins. Camaro now playing the safety message.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...o-receive-perfect-2011-nhtsa-score-40382.html

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dave, what are the details you found most "shocking" (from your post a day or 2 ago)? I doubt it was the "pony" lighting from the morrors......

200 mph. That's a quantum leap for Mustang or any other muscle car. How many cars even go 200 mph period? Not many. C6 Z06, GT-R, 911 Turbo, SLS AMG all have top speeds below 200 mph. It's a great source of pride that our $160k midengine sports car goes 200 and this is a $60k pony car that has already done it at Nardo with miles per hour to spare.

The other was 650 hp. I think the majority of people were looking for 600 hp. Not many cars make a 100 hp jump on an all new vehicle let alone a refresh.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Damn, I have got to start making some money!!

Chip

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Impressive for Sure!! Be an interesting winter spring / summer as the mags start to think about the comps between the 2. For sure the review test drive cars will have FULL cages.....

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Ford Racing Crate 5.8 available soon?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
And the wars of words, tit-for-tat begins. Camaro now playing the safety message.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...o-receive-perfect-2011-nhtsa-score-40382.html

Great . . . the Camaro is now taking on Volvo. They are boxy but they are safe.

H

HHGT

Video Footage..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2U0rqwDrM&feature=player_embedded#!

I'm thinking Blk with flat Black stripes...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The heart of the new Ford stunner is a 5.8-liter, aluminum-block V8, complete with a larger, more efficient supercharger. Nearly the entire powertrain has been upgraded for 2013, including a new cross-drilled block and heads, updated camshaft profiles, a carbon fiber driveshaft and upgraded clutch, transmission and axle. The cooling system has also been upgraded, and the new six-speed manual transmission now has a final drive ratio of 3.31-to-1 – optimized to handle the massive amounts of torque put down by the new engine.

13-2013-ford-shelby-gt500-1321234115.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/15/2013-ford-shelby-gt500-delivers-650-hp-and-200-mph-straight-from/

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I'm telling you now that the GT500 will go 125+ in the quarter without much hassle, and that's on 285 tires with an unprepared surface. Stick tires on the GT500 and I'll bet you $50 Evan Smith runs a 10 in a stock GT500 at E-town.
QUOTE]

Evan is and has always been a BAD MOFO behind the wheel of any stick car. I've know him since I was like 16years old, an Icon in MM&FF magazine and a great racer. It will be interesting to see what he does when he gets his hands on one.

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Does anyone know when one could order and hope to receive the new GT500?

They will be on the street late spring early summer. Not sure when they'll be taking orders.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Ok I know this is heresy but that thing could go 250 MPH and it is still a Mustang. I am old enough to remember when the Mustang first came out and as a Ford lover I have spent decades trying to "get into " Mustangs but cannot do it.

My Vipers won't do 200 but I would rather drive a Viper, or even a plain old $40k Vette coupe than be seen in a Stang. Every time I pass one there is a chick driving it with an 80s hairdo.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Ok I know this is heresy but that thing could go 250 MPH and it is still a Mustang. I am old enough to remember when the Mustang first came out and as a Ford lover I have spent decades trying to "get into " Mustangs but cannot do it.

My Vipers won't do 200 but I would rather drive a Viper, or even a plain old $40k Vette coupe than be seen in a Stang. Every time I pass one there is a chick driving it with an 80s hairdo.

It would take a very LONG road todo that, but I can't imagine at 650hp it would even do it, but who knows.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

You are a good guy and a fellow attorney (albeit a defense attorney) so I'll cut you some slack :) I know that deep down you really don't want to compare the stereotypical Corvette owner with a Mustang owner. Besides, you have nothing in your stable that would pass MY Mustang (although I do have an 80s hairdo).

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would rather drive a Viper, or even a plain old $40k Vette coupe than be seen in a Stang.

I feel exactly the opposite.

H

HHGT

Corvette guys are middle aged and wear gold chains tangled in chest hair.
Mustang guys are younger guys that wear jeans and In-N-Out T-shirts.
Viper guys have fat wallets and a "My-Shit-Don't-Stink" attitude

Only Kingman here on the forum could belong to all three groups....:willy:willy

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Yeah..............so?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
A point I had not thought about, "most powerful V-8" in a production car. I guess I had only in my mind thought about the Zl-1, not the broader horizon.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/2013-ford-mustang-gallops-up-to-650-horsepower.html

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
You are a good guy and a fellow attorney (albeit a defense attorney) so I'll cut you some slack :) I know that deep down you really don't want to compare the stereotypical Corvette owner with a Mustang owner. Besides, you have nothing in your stable that would pass MY Mustang (although I do have an 80s hairdo).

I knew this and the others were coming. Yes, Vette owners have more than their share of problems (although they have no backseats and there was never a Vette 2 or Viper 2)

My post deserves all the incoming and I am sure your stang can play havoc with anything I own.

One thing we may all agree on is that Ford will likely never produce a better over all car than the GT which I would take over my Vipers, ZR 1 s or Caddies.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm just giving you some (deserved) crap. I am amazed at how many people who are otherwise adverse to Ford products are really into the Ford GT. It speaks volumes about the car. Perhaps GM will someday make a modern masterpiece like the GT which will win over the Blue Oval faithful too.

Nah, I don't think so.