5.8 Liter 2013 Shelby GT-500 Confirmed

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Meh, color me unimpressed. From the company that still makes a living selling 7 liter and blown 6.2 liter engines, mocking "no replacement for displacement" seems comical. Especially given that the chief engineer making the comments is in charge of a project that makes way less horsepower with very little wiggle room out of one of said 6.2L engines. No forged rotating assembly = no more power under warranty in that thing and they aren't dumping another 10k into the car with an LS9.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
As you have pointed out, from a product positioning perspective GM has a huge problem, and have painted themselves into a corner with the Camaro and Vette offerings. Worse, they can't seem to look into the marketplace and position w/respect to their competition either. But, I have to give the guy credit, a response of some sort was necessary, and he did a fair job of 'spinning' the facts.

Agree with all said. It makes Camaro Nation feel better so good for them.

I'm grateful Ford and Chevrolet are banging heads on this. The enthusiast consumer wins.

These are good days. Don't know how long they'll last so let's all enjoy!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Where is my Hitler buys a ZL! It should be out by now. I give it two weeks then I'll do it myself.

I guess chevy didn't see the videos of the base GT besting the SS, the boss 302 killing it in the mile, the boss 302 outhandling it. I think we need to answer the no replacement for displacement. Add another 100 horsepower with an ecoboost 5.0 and slide it into a smaller lighter 2014 1/2 GT500 and forget the slomaro aim for the ZR1 and be done with this crap.

I have never been so much as challenged on the street with any camaro or challenger when I'm in my 11 5.0 GTCS. 400 more pounds with probably less real power. The 5.0 was popped out of a crate and placed on a dyno last year on horsepower TV. Guess what 450HP.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm embarassed to admit that I find the thread on the Camaro5 forum very entertaining. I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that so many GM fans are hysterical about something that really has no impact on their lives. If they were this excited about the national debt we would have the problem solved already. I love cars as much as anyone and understand brand loyalty, but give me a break. I suspect there are many, many NFL face painters in that group.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I suspect there are many, many NFL face painters in that group.

:lol :lol :lol

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Interesting comments in this thread regarding the GT500 and it's performance on the track. What Indy wrote mirrors what KP and a few others have said... I got to take the Boss 302 LS on the track and enjoyed just about everything about it. I looked at a few, but each one I looked at was around $50-$55K, which I thought was high. Although I'm not a Corvette fan, I took the Corvette on the track (base model - nothing fancy) and it handled quite well. I'm looking at the GT500's but haven't taken one on the track - just talked with people about it's handling. Clearly I have much less track experience and skill than many of you, but if you were looking for a track car, would 650 hp on a Mustang be too dangerous given it's limitations?

A used C5/Z06 is a far more cost effective track car than ANY new Mustang. Lighter, better balanced, wider track, and they can be had for $23k or less.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
A used C5/Z06 is a far more cost effective track car than ANY new Mustang. Lighter, better balanced, wider track, and they can be had for $23k or less.

THERE'S the truth. Love the 2013 GT500 Mustang, and in 5 years, it's gonna be a hella cheap bargain, but right now (and for the past little while), a used Corvette is the bargain to have (assuming you don't embody the 'reverse cactus' jokes).

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm embarassed to admit that I find the thread on the Camaro5 forum very entertaining. I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that so many GM fans are hysterical about something that really has no impact on their lives. If they were this excited about the national debt we would have the problem solved already. I love cars as much as anyone and understand brand loyalty, but give me a break. I suspect there are many, many NFL face painters in that group.

+1!

(I'd still say I'd like to see Mopar get into the fray. I'd be just like the good ole days!)

Last edited:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Does anyone know when performance numbers will be published. The local bowtie boys are quoting insane numbers that don't make any sense. I think they are comparing an 07 GT500 to their new baby. Has the car run the ring yet?

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Not sure. GM says the 6-speed version of their car will do 12.1@119 mph. I can tell you for a fact that a GT500 on launch control (i.e on a setting anyone can replicate) will best that without a problem. Obviously the big problem for the GT500 is the tires. If you slap drag radials on both cars, the GT500 will murder ZL1. Much higher mph, as one would expect from a car with more hp and less weight.

You can never account for outliers. Evan Smith will likely run an 11.50 or better at over 125 mph when he gets his hands on one. I expect a very competent driver in a 6-speed Camaro will manage 11.80s at some sticky track with good DA.

I don't know what GT500 will end up doing on the Ring because the car is geared to avoid gas guzzler and not burn the tires. When it comes to road course driving, it'll depend on the track layout and who is driving as to which is faster. Gene drove 2:58 at VIR in the old GT500 and C&D could only come up with 3:04. Gene also drove VIR in a Ford GT at 2:57. Gene in a 2013 GT500 will whip Gene in a Ford GT's ass at VIR. Take that for what it's worth.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Thanks Dave. Maybe things will calm down when both cars are compared in the dependable mags.

H

HHGT

So for those of you that own the GTR, how many of you will trade it in for the new GT500 and save a lot of coin in the process. It seems to me that the GT500 is better positioned against the GTR with better lines.

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
So for those of you that own the GTR, how many of you will trade it in for the new GT500 and save a lot of coin in the process. It seems to me that the GT500 is better positioned against the GTR with better lines.

A GT-R will absolutely tear a 2013 GT500 a new ass. Anyone can hop in a GT-R and run an 11.2 on stock tires. GT500 stands no chance against that. Road course, not sure. Last lightning lap I could find was 2008, and GT500 looks good versus that, but GT-R has improved even further since the 09 model.

GT-R isn't for me from a looks standpoint, but it's a psycho on the street.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Just by mentioning the BOSS got me banned forever on Camaro5.com :rofl:rofl:rofl

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
A GT-R will absolutely tear a 2013 GT500 a new ass. Anyone can hop in a GT-R and run an 11.2 on stock tires. GT500 stands no chance against that. Road course, not sure. Last lightning lap I could find was 2008, and GT500 looks good versus that, but GT-R has improved even further since the 09 model.

This past August I ran Watkins Glen track days..........there was a GT-R that was placed in beginners group for one session.....then Intermediate....then Expert........all in the same day....The car was passing everything and anything on track..........I did notice he was catching most in the corners...then leaving them dead on the straights.............The handling with that all wheel drive must of made the difference........

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ron should let us all know the pros and cons between the GT-R and Boss LS. He should know best.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just by mentioning the BOSS got me banned forever on Camaro5.com :rofl:rofl:rofl

'Shows ya how pathetic can some people's kids can get...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here's Ford Racing's blurb on the '500. 'Quite a bit of info:

http://racing.ford.com/more-racing/news/articles/13-shelby-gt500-debuts-1293054018030/

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
DBK: What is involved in "cross drill(ing) block and heads?" I've never heard that term used for anything other than brake rotors. Sounds leaky to me. ;-)

Is this like the windows cast in the LS motors' blocks between cylinders allowing bay to bay breathing?

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

I have to say that the few times I ran my GT-R at the track it was awesomely fast! I ran the car mostly in the rain, any weather, any conditions, you could just step on the gas and let the car do all the work. I passed full-blown race cars like they were standing still. However, that said, I don't enjoy that kind of mindless driving. I have much, much more fun in my 640 HP Viper ACR-X with RWD and NO traction control. I LIKE TO DRIVE, NOT RIDE! I do love the GT-R on the street, its a rocket-ship! (Oh, BTW, I DO plan to buy the new GT500!)