New Member looking for advice about parts for 05 GT

angeloz

Sep 16, 2024
Fountain Hills Arizona
I currently own a 05 GT and I am in the process of giving it to my son. I am located in Fountain Hills AZ and I want to change the following parts before I gift the car to him.... RS Headlight system, Silver Seat Inserts, Steering Wheel Horn Emblem and a replacement windshield. I am unable to find these parts. None of the items are "broken or non functioning" but have blemishes or minor chips that I want to replace. Any ideas would help tremendously and I want to take care of these things that bother me ASAP before I give him the car. Thanks for all your help in advance.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Hell, if you're giving him a Ford GT, tell him he can change those himself!

RS headlight system: I don't know what that is.
Seat inserts: Pop those in yourself by hand. Follow the instructions.
Horn emblem: Again, if you have one, do it yourself. It's stick-on
Windshield: This is not a minor replacement. To do it right, you have to remove the front fenders. Unless the windshield has a crack or major divot in it, I'd advise you to leave this alone. You may end up making more work than you planned. Otherwise, you'll want to take it to a shop that has done this before.

Ask for a good shop recommendation for a FGT windshield replacement in/near Scottsdale.

angeloz

Sep 16, 2024
Fountain Hills Arizona
Thanks Pete. I agree with the sentiment, but I want to give it to him pristine (my OCD kicking in lol)! BTW, he's an awesome kid!
Anyways, I understand I can replace the items, just don't know where to buy them. Ford has been no help or I am talking to the wrong people.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
As far headlights, good luck. They have reached the unobtainable stage I think. There are posts here about some repair places in CA I think. Same thing for everything you want done. Search here on the Forum. Windshield may be pretty hard to get.

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I had my windshield replaced by the GT Guy and I was concerned that a new one couldn't be found. Rich said he has a source that makes them on demand, if I remember correctly. The windshield may be easier to source than the headlight.

Reactions: 2112 and extrap

angeloz

Sep 16, 2024
Fountain Hills Arizona
Damn. Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I been running into these issues. How about the steering wheel emblem? That's the most obvious and obnoxious!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Damn. Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I been running into these issues. How about the steering wheel emblem? That's the most obvious and obnoxious!
Search can be your friend

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Rich can do them, just fixed mine without a “sticker”

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I still don't know what the "RS headlight system" is. The Ford GT OE headlights? Something else?

IIRC, BMF (Doug Schoenek) was working on an LED upgrade to the stock lights, no?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
"RS": Right Side?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
RS Headlight system, Silver Seat Inserts, Steering Wheel Horn Emblem and a replacement windshield.
Right Side Headlight - Good luck. Best to keep watching this forum to seen when and if replacements become available.
Silver Seat Inserts - Originally made by Exoticare in Canada. Allegedly he is contemplating another run. Again, watch this space.
Steering Wheel Emblem - Yours can be sent out and repaired to as-new. Not inexpensive (about $500) but it comes back perfect.
Windshield - Available through Ford. We just replaced one in July.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I currently own a 05 GT and I am in the process of giving it to my son. I am located in Fountain Hills AZ and I want to change the following parts before I gift the car to him.... RS Headlight system, Silver Seat Inserts, Steering Wheel Horn Emblem and a replacement windshield. I am unable to find these parts. None of the items are "broken or non functioning" but have blemishes or minor chips that I want to replace. Any ideas would help tremendously and I want to take care of these things that bother me ASAP before I give him the car. Thanks for all your help in advance.
RS Headlight system - (assuming you mean Right Side) Last I heard, no longer available from Ford. Also, last I heard someone out there has 2 new-in-box headlights but dunno if they really wanna sell 'em. A couple forum members have posted about creating new ones, but I haven't heard anything firm yet. If yours is bad enough, I think Rich Brooks / GT Garage (thegtgaragellc@gmail.com) may have a stash that could at least improve yours, or maybe even make it appear new again. Otherwise, maybe someone can advise re refurbing yours.

Silver Seat Inserts - Not sure if you're needing a whole set or just 1 or 2, but they're sold as a set by ExotiCARe, and they just pop right in / out (https://exoticare.ca/ford-gt-accessories) ... I've heard / read that they're not always available, so you'll need to check.

Steering Wheel Horn Emblem - This post advises: https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/...inal-logo-needs-replacement.39176/post-542104 ... and I think Rich Brooks / GT Garage (thegtgaragellc@gmail.com) does them too (plus a forum member posted recently selling an aluminum stick-on cover on eBay for $200 if you want a quickie band-aid 'fix', although I know nothing about 'em besides what the eBay listing states)

Windshield - I too just had my windshield replaced by the GT Garage (thegtgaragellc@gmail.com). It looks great.

Good luck! 🍻

angeloz

Sep 16, 2024
Fountain Hills Arizona
UPDATE!
Thanks for all your help guys. It is very much appreciated.
I ordered a horn emblem from ebay (link Below)
05-06 Ford GT Horn Emblem
The item and the guy seem legit. I will post pictures and any additional info in about a week if anyone else is interested. I am also knee deep in researching all of these items and will post my findings. Thanks a ton guys!

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think the removal of the fenders is overkill. Indeed you need to get access to the bottom of the windshield but in looking at it a long time ago my feeling was that you'd loosen the fender from the car but might not need to fully disconnect all the electrical and other attachments. The idea is to get it "out of the way" that doesn't necesssarily mean full R&R. Then the trick is to get it back to correct panel alignment!!! The reason I looked was that the plastic piece they put along the bottom got loose and started flapping in the wind. I found I could get a "hook" on it to pull it up on the glass and that a few drops of superglue held it in place.

The whole process is not something I'd take the car to Safelight for...

Chip Beck should be able to point you to the dealer he uses for his GT services...

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Be careful with that horn emblem.After reading the ad it is a piece of aluminum that mounts over the existing emblem. Will it turn into a projectile in the event of an accident(God forbid)?I had my horn emblem restored by a former forum member here and the outcome was perfect.You will have to remove the airbag and send it to him.PM me for contact as im not sure on the rules of the site recommendations for not site supporters

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Ooof, good point ☝️

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
I currently have a couple Right Side headlights new in box... Throw a number at me and see where it lands. My cell is 403 318 4812

Last edited:

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
If preferred dealer GT Tech here in Phoenix AZ, use Sanderson Ford, Brian Naylor. Independent GT Tech Rich Robach also available when scheduled in advance.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
I think the removal of the fenders is overkill. Indeed you need to get access to the bottom of the windshield but in looking at it a long time ago my feeling was that you'd loosen the fender from the car but might not need to fully disconnect all the electrical and other attachments. The idea is to get it "out of the way" that doesn't necesssarily mean full R&R. Then the trick is to get it back to correct panel alignment!!! The reason I looked was that the plastic piece they put along the bottom got loose and started flapping in the wind. I found I could get a "hook" on it to pull it up on the glass and that a few drops of superglue held it in place.

The whole process is not something I'd take the car to Safelight for...

Chip Beck should be able to point you to the dealer he uses for his GT services...
I replaced 2 windshields and took nothing apart. Crystal Glass in Edmonton did both. Took about 4 hrs as they were careful..

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If by "Right Side" You mean passenger side headlight, there are lot more of those out there than Driver's sides.

They pop on on eBay occasionally.