Voodoo Parts

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
All I will say is "performance" modifications by hot rod shops on this car will be interesting to watch.:biggrin

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You must be busy, took you a long time to chime in on this one (humor intended)...

You guys are just way too ahead of the game.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
You must be busy, took you a long time to chime in on this one (humor intended)...

I was at Disney World, between time slots reading these posts wondering if you guys were just bored and needed to pass time or what! Even Indy came out of the woodwork! ;-)))

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.

Looks like they didn't retain the stock dampeners. Interesting.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Looks like they didn't retain the stock dampeners. Interesting.

Uh, CH53, THAT'S the whole point of the earlier comments.

Keep it coming Rex! Andy and I welcome your candor.

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Uh, CH53, THAT'S the whole point of the earlier comments.

Keep it coming Rex! Andy and I welcome your candor.

I completely understand your sentiments and coming from a rotary wing aviation background I completely understand the importance of vibration dampening. My comment wasn't directed at anything or anyone in this thread. I'm also a member of SVT so I could certainly have posted my comment over there. I was just wondering out loud why they would not keep the dampeners as obviously the engineering team at Ford put them there for a reason. I could understand their (LethalPerformance) desire to go with an off-road mid-pipe for sound and possible power gains but why drop the dampeners? Seems like they could have retained those with negligible weight gain. I'm certainly curious to see how it works out for them. Aftermarket support for this car should be an interesting evolution as pointed out the engine/drivetrain/chassis in this car is an "integral unit" and not a "plug and play".

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's more than dampeners. The lack of cats also affects the entire downstream mass distribution. So instead of putting on dampeners of some unknown mass and dimension (and beyond their ability to determine) they just left them off. I expect there will be some issues. We'll see.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
They are NVH dampers and their absence won't cause the power train to grenade. Owners who are modifying brand new cars like this probably won't care about some high frequency buzzing or vibration. The prior gen GT500 had axle dampers. I've removed them all on my cars without any issues.

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Good points. I guess I'm looking at it from a rotary wing aviation background where any kind of high frequency buzzing or vibration in the flight components/airframe would be immediate cause for concern and an emergency landing in someone's yard. lol

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Good points CH53 and being a rotary wing pilot you are very familiar with vibration characteristics. After all a helicopter is nothing but a flying fatigue machine...:biggrin

My points are, and Tony points this out as well, these modifiers do not have a clue how their modifications may effect the overall NVH system design. I have it on good authority there was a significant (shall I say that again....significant) amount of engineering that went into marrying the FPC engine into the GT350 vehicle. Numerous "Oh Crap!!! Why did that part fail???"

They did get it all sorted out (we hope) as this is certainly new technology that no one has introduced this large an engine with the FPC configuration.

But it will be interesting to see how these non OE modifications turn out.

And Paul does have a valid point as to acceptance levels, "Owners who are modifying brand new cars like this probably won't care about some high frequency buzzing or vibration." I agree. But (potentially) if things start falling off the engine or car while in motion....I think even the hardest gearhead might start bitching.

Again, it will be interesting to watch how this develops. Hopefully our Forum members are ahead of the curve from the info here.

Mar 15, 2006
I bought a new GT350 a few days ago. Love the car in its bone stock form.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
And Paul does have a valid point as to acceptance levels, "Owners who are modifying brand new cars like this probably won't care about some high frequency buzzing or vibration." I agree. But (potentially) if things start falling off the engine or car while in motion....I think even the hardest gearhead might start bitching.

First, quoted for posterity since you acknowledged I made a valid point. Second, if 50 cent weights hanging off the exhaust are preventing things from falling off the engine, I'm not so sure I want a car with that engine. :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Anything special about Voodoo engine mounts (e.g., dynamic; active)? Any sense that the flywheel has more mass (I hope not)?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
First, quoted for posterity since you acknowledged I made a valid point. Second, if 50 cent weights hanging off the exhaust are preventing things from falling off the engine, I'm not so sure I want a car with that engine. :lol

Paul, I acknowledge your technical acumen quite frequently.:thumbsup The Forum welcomes your posts (and sharp-shooter eyes). Guess you will have to chronicle for posterity post #10 then as well! Now let's just get you one of these cutting edge vehicles to play with.:lol (back at cha)

And removal of "one" 50 cent weight will probably not cause things to start falling off the engine. Likely some features are more important than others. But the cumulative effect on the system NVH by a complete disregard (or lack of understanding) of the complementary nature of how all the 50 cent features act collectively, moves the system more toward an unfavorable region of stability.

I feel we have detailed this topic enough now. :dead: And at least the readers of this post have been appraised of these NVH issues.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Good point Bill. Remember, Avalanche R, no stripes, electronic package. : )

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
10-4
Got it...

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Here's a couple of R's from this morning. Subtle difference in low light/fog, but both colors are awesome on the car. Both are recent deliveries; one from Friday the other delivered today, for a couple of lucky new owners. ;-)).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 935
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
One of those yours Rex?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
No, they belong to Ford Design Team members. Both cars are of the 1 of 37 2015MY R's that were built.

Wishing them all the fun in the world, tough going home in the Edge today. :-((

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Anything special about Voodoo engine mounts (e.g., dynamic; active)? Any sense that the flywheel has more mass (I hope not)?

Gary, to answer your questions the engine mounts are conventional rubber mounts.

The dual-mass flywheel and dual clutch disc package does have quite a bit of polar moment of inertia.