Turbo size

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Anyone go whipple 4.0 / TT setup? Any gains from a lower air temps charge from a more efficient blower.

This and other combinations have been tried. The turbos can generate all of the boost/power thats needed say, minimally, above 4000 rpm. The role/benefit of a SC in a TT/SC set-up is to fill the gap below this RPM. The trade-off with the bigger, higher-volume SC's is that they take a LOT of HP to drive - especially at the high-end of the RPM range. As such, I believe that what folks have found is that the OEM SC works well in filling the lower-RPM void and consumes less HP at the higher end than does the Whipple. The Whipple doesn't fill the lower rpm void much better than the OEM SC - and it consumes a lot more horsies at the higher RPMs.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Anyone go whipple / TT setup? Any gains from a lower air temps charge from a more efficient blower.

I did that once, End results were not what you would have expected.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Someone has to try a stock blower with a ECU controlled bypass and maybe even a clutch to decouple the blower at higher RPMs. :biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I thought that with blowers, size matters (assuming various Lysholm blowers have similar efficiency).

Yet Chevy is apparently getting more and quicker boost from a 1.7L twin screw than the old 2.3L. Spins 33% faster.

IDK how much boost they push into 10.0:1 CR. EDIT: max 9.5 psi.

Impressive...variable everything, direct injection, cylinder deactivation, blower deactivation, a single fuel pump...and pushrods!

Last edited:

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
op,

Here is a graph of a well-developed TT system on a FGT running 16 psi of boost on 91 octane. Using an in-car electronic boost controller, the driver can dial this up to 26psi (1017 RWHP) - although at this level we would recommend C16 fuel. You can reasonable call this a pinnacle FGT TT set-up as you'd be hard pressed to find any TT that brings on boost this low in the RPM range. Ball bearing, oil-lubed GT35 turbos. Turbos as close as possible to exhaust manifolds. Optimized exhaust tubing size between manifolds and turbos. (Note: At 4000rpm, there is a 240HP difference in RWHP!)

This isn't intended to discourage you - just the opposite. I hope it shows what is possible and that it is worthwhile to get there!

View attachment 34077

This looks like the hot setup. Smaller turbos turned up to make 20 psi . Who does this or do I need to custom build it. Torrie will I be happier with this setup over the whipple 4 ? . I am not to empressed yet with the whipple. Fun but not at all the numbers I thought it would make.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
This is Heffner's "V2" kit. Loaded question, " will I be happier with this set-up over the 4.0L whipple?" Many on this board REALLY like to low-rpm pull of a SC. We did many of the Heffner TT (V2's) and most of these owners came from big SC's..... and none have expressed any desire to go back! In fairness, there's also a pretty big price difference too.... so the TT's had better be good.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Depends on where you want the power bottom / middle or up high. I have had all of the configurations and in the end TT was it for me.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I need a ride in your car. When can we make that happen ? I know your car is tuned right. Do you have any kits for sale I can install ?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
My car was done way back in 2006 and I no longer own it.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
SMOKDU, You're in WI, right? Check out the GT Guys website.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Just send it to Kevin at M2K and do the SC/TT. You will be happy with that at 1000+ hp. When you want 1200++ then have them take the SC off and crank it up.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Have to agree with Mullet on this one. Send to Kevin at M2K. Call the office 281-346-8114 or email him at Kevin@m2kmotorsports.com.... You will not be disappointed. He has a TT/SC in there right now, a car getting a build together for a whipple plus 2 cars that are just twin turboed!!

Mark H