Texas World Speedway Information

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just a few things for Texas World Speedway.

Thus far here are our confirmed Ford GT Experts for the track day (using the magic of iPhoto's faces function):

Ron "Roketman" Savenor

roketman.jpg

Andy "Specracer" Bentinck-Smith

specracer.jpg

"Mean" Gene Martindale

gene.jpg

Mark "211 mph" McGowan

mcgowan.jpg

Alex "T&A" Szilagyi

alex.jpg

Jamal Hameedi

jamal.jpg

Tom Reichenbach is currently figuring out if he can get free to come to the Rally as well, so let's cross our fingers. Mean Gene is actually going to be in San Antonio supporting the SVT Raptor program at the Texas Rodeo the bulk of the weekend, but he is going to be with us at TWS and at our dinners, which is great news. Ask Gene to take you for a ride and hang on. All these people really know what they are doing behind the wheel of a Ford GT, so be prepared to utilize them while keeping in mind we're out to have a safe, fun and relaxed day at the track.

A big thanks to Roketman and Specracer for helping out with instruction at the track and preparing the event.

Here is a map of the 2.9 mile configuration we'll be running.

tws2pt9.jpg

Here is a quick video of the configuration we'll be running.

Attached here is a Tech Sheet in Word format for you to look over. Please be prepared to have your vehicle ready to go at TWS if you plan on tracking your car. Remember to wear long pants and closed toe shoes, and please bring a Snell SA helmet if you have one. Mentally prepare yourself to have a be safe, be courteous, follow the rules, and have a great time.

:cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBK, I just had my car at the dealership and had all fluids changed and the car checked out. If I bring a copy of the receipt, will this be good enough for tech? (with helmet and belts as stated) Is there a garage area like we had at Vegas? Any place to eat or get non-alcoholic drinks? What about clothing - standard long sleeve shirts and pants with leather topped, lacing shoes? What about gas availability?

Thanks Frank

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Frank - tech is up to the driver of the car. Signing off on the waiver indicates you've taken responsibility to make sure the car is ready to go. There is a large amount of covered areas at the track because it is the infield of what was a NASCAR/IRL track. Lunch will be served at the track and we'll have plenty of water. Clothing is long pants and closed toe shoes. Gas is available at the track, and there are plenty of gas stations nearby.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Now, do we have scantilly clad women available for winners circle pictures? (Nardo, this should be your job)

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Anyone who does not change their oil and brake fluid before attending this type of event is putting themselves at risk and others who will be on the track at the same time. Also watch your temp gauge carefully as depending upon mods you will be prone to overheating. Those that will be using a Speed Lingerie Bra, cut the screening off that covers your grill. It greatly reduces air flow through the intercooler (heat exchanger) and radiator if left intact. If you doubt this ask Roketman based on his recent time at Watkins Glen in 98 degree weather.

Check torque on your wheel after each session and watch your air pressures. Drink copious amounts of fluids to stay hydrated.

A spare set of front and rear brakes pads and rotors is not unreasonable to have with you.

A full face helmet is much better with the visor as strange things sometimes fly through your open windows.

:cheers

Have fun and don't take crazy chances.

Dave

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, and don't race with a trailer hooked to the back of your car, either.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Wow.

This looks really fun. I promise to keep my car pointed forward at all times this year! :eek

Chip

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Looks like there's some opportunities for high speeds on that course! I think I'll be waiving by a few GT's! Still will be fun.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Question on helmet requirements. I know it's been covered a couple times, but I keep seeing different answers.

In the tech sheet above, a SA2000 is mentioned.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11405&d=1253060542

In an earlier thread, it was mentioned a M2000/SA2000 could be used.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15634&highlight=helmet

I was due for new motorcycle hemets anyway, so I bought a pair after seeing the second thread when it posted.

Now I'm wondering if I need to buy the SA rated as well?

I don't track the car that often, and do understand the differences in the 2 ratings.

I guess the real question is: Can a M2005 or M2010 be used for either track day? (TWS & the Mile)

Jeff

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ghost, it will depend on the "officials" at the track, but usually an M helmet will not pass muster. NASA will be running the Texas Mile as I understand it, and I know they won't let you get away with it.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Will we have apex cones out on the course? Breaking zones? I guess that is what I am used to with the few tracks that I have gone to.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Now, do we have scantilly clad women available for winners circle pictures? (Nardo, this should be your job)

Also wondering about Franks question as well.:eek

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Yes, and don't race with a trailer hooked to the back of your car, either.

The car doesn't even know that the trailer is there. The torsion bar suspension makes it go through corners great. Maybe I can get some scaled down Penske shocks.

Dave

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Ghost, it will depend on the "officials" at the track, but usually an M helmet will not pass muster. NASA will be running the Texas Mile as I understand it, and I know they won't let you get away with it.

Thanks for the info Frank.
I was reading the automobile rules on the Mile site and maybe I'm misinterpreting what I see, but on page 3 it mentions the following:

2. HELMET: Proper fitting helmet that meets SNELL Foundation 2000(M2000/SA2000) or newer -(M2005/SA2005).

http://www.texasmile.net/pdf/automobile_rules.pdf

With this being my first round at this, there are definitely people here with more experience and knowledge.
I'm certainly not trying to second guess anybody, just wanting to make sure I'm covered.

Jeff

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Jeff, I was unaware that the M helmets were acceptable. Any NASA event I participated in always said the helmet had to be auto specific. Thanks for bringing it up. Just make sure you fit in the car with the helmet on. Frank

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
track questions

Will we have apex cones out on the course? Breaking zones? I guess that is what I am used to with the few tracks that I have gone to.

Yes to the above.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Yes to the above.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
If someone can arrange the track babes they can ride to the track with me in limo. I'll keep them company until we get there. And free drinks on the way back to the hotel :thumbsup

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Gene Martindale is in charge of getting the track babes !!You should see what he snagged in Vegas !!!
OK seriously ,Long trouser's, Thin soled sneakers or racing shoes,long sleeve shirt.And most importantly a good nights sleep!!!
For you newbies to the track ,Get ready to have the most fun you can have with your clothes on ,or off!!
Nothing better than getting to know your gal!!Drive her !She will love you!!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Helmet Confusion

Texas World Speedway's website states SA95 or better. DBK post with tech sheet says SA-2000 or newer.

I have an SA95, and dont track much any more, hence the older helmet. Must I purchase an SA-2000 to be able to get on the track?

Jack