Suspension rattle 2018 GT

Rd1986

Jun 24, 2024
Hello , I am new here on this forum and was looking for some info regarding a problem with our clients GT .
Whe are located in Europe and have a rattling noise coming from the suspension on the inside from the car . There is a TSB available for checking if the suspension rocker arm nuts are loose and that there are newer redesigned nuts available . There seems to be already been worked on these nuts on this car in the past . Our client had bought this car second hand with very low millage . When trying to tighten these nuts to the specific torque needed to do this TSB the nut will not move neither tight or loose and seems to be seized . Are there here also owners or mechanics that encountered this issue with the rocker arm nuts being stuck ?
Kind regards

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
GT expert Joe Sicoli at Milliken Ford has experience with this … and a myriad of other GT issues.
Andy (ajb)

Reactions: Rd1986

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ugh! Seized nuts are the worst! Probably not telling you anything you already don't know, but I would try to apply heat to the nut in hopes that it will expand/loosen. Not sure of the accessibility you have, or the proximity of any kind of rubber bushings, but if possible I would try to use an induction heater made for this purpose. Generally speaking they work very well, but unfortunately not 100%.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hello , I am new here on this forum and was looking for some info regarding a problem with our clients GT .
Whe are located in Europe and have a rattling noise coming from the suspension on the inside from the car . There is a TSB available for checking if the suspension rocker arm nuts are loose and that there are newer redesigned nuts available . There seems to be already been worked on these nuts on this car in the past . Our client had bought this car second hand with very low millage . When trying to tighten these nuts to the specific torque needed to do this TSB the nut will not move neither tight or loose and seems to be seized . Are there here also owners or mechanics that encountered this issue with the rocker arm nuts being stuck ?
Kind regards
This new style nut has a special set screw and locking ball installed at one of the corners. Are you sure you found the set screw and removed it ? I'm very familiar with repair .my car was worked on multiple times and my car was the first one to receive the new nut set up.. My car was at the dealer for about 16 weeks I said what's the hold up they said you're getting some new proto type parts.. I'm very hands-on and spent a lot of time with the techs. This is a difficult area to reach and a 2 inch crow's foot was the best for tightening the nut..
If it's the original nut it's a split nut with a set screw which can be difficult to access depending on the orientation

Attachments

• 20191030_113149.jpg
    20191030_113149.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191030_113028.jpg
    20191030_113028.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Brian - does the new design use the set screws or another means of locking? I can see where the ball bearing is intended to mitigate thread damage from the set screw - but admittedly not ideal.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian - does the new design use the set screws or another means of locking? I can see where the ball bearing is intended to mitigate thread damage from the set screw - but admittedly not ideal.
You put the brass ball into one of the corner holes first and then the set screw behind it . The set screw drives the brass ball into the threads. The brass being softer will deform into the threads of the stainless steel shaft .. It seems to do the trick. I put a lot of miles since the repair and it's been quiet as a mouse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris A.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Brian ,
Thanks for your experienced advice.!
Andy (ajb)

STORMCAT