Strange case of the tics

Cobraguy

GT Owner
So this is a brain scratcher. My ‘05 recently and suddenly developed a “ticking“ sound that appears to originate behind the dash panel. Ticks are about 2/second and don’t appear to vary with RPM. At speeds of around 10-15 MPH the tic becomes audible. It may be present at higher speeds as well but the road noise and exhaust likely overwhelm it. When I depress the clutch and just freely coast, the tics continue at the same frequency however if I ever so slightly depress the brake pedal (only enough to excite the brake lights) the ticking stops immediately…….foot off the brake and the ticking starts again.
Has this been anyone else’s experience?

So this is a brain scratcher. My ‘05 recently and suddenly developed a “ticking“ sound that appears to originate behind the dash panel. Ticks are about 2/second and don’t appear to vary with RPM. At speeds of around 10-15 MPH the tic becomes audible. It may be present at higher speeds as well but the road noise and exhaust likely overwhelm it. When I depress the clutch and just freely coast, the tics continue at the same frequency however if I ever so slightly depress the brake pedal (only enough to excite the brake lights) the ticking stops immediately…….foot off the brake and the ticking starts again.
Does this occur with the A/C on or off? I have noticed a similar noise in my car sometimes when the A/C is on - I've always assumed it's contraction of cold metal ducting.

Reactions: Roadtrip

Cobraguy

GT Owner
I’ll have to check that out although I can’t imagine it has anything to do with it. I’ve got over 25,000 miles on it and the ticking just started. The fact that depressing the brake pedal slightly stops the noise should hopefully be a clue!?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I sometimes hear a faint electronic beeping.

Last edited:

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Wheel bearing?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I sometimes hear a feint electronic beeping.
And ALL GT's have that faint beeping when the turn signals are on...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
And it increases or decreases with engine RPM. Wish they were a bit louder. I hate driving along for miles with my turn signal on...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
And ALL GT's have that faint beeping when the turn signals are on...

Hah, yes, there is that faint beeping but the one I am talking about is independent of that.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Hah, yes, there is that faint beeping but the one I am talking about is independent of that.
If you hear a faint beeping in your cat and muffler delete car, it's not faint. lol

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have mufflers.

’Ford” mufflers as a matter of fact.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Do you have the original gauges, or Speedhuts or other replacements? Some of them use a stepper motor which makes little ticking sounds.

BasillioG

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2019
Phoenix
Are you sure it's coming from the dash? I recently diagnosed a clicking that sounds similar to what you described, and it was coming from driver rear axle shaft nut. Pulled the rim/tire and the nut was not torqued to spec. Removed it to inspect, ordered a new OEM and replaced, torqued to spec... no more ticking.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
will it tick with the car at a standstill without the engine running and the key in the on position?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sounds like a bad case of luna-tic owner.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
if it ticks with the key on, could be some bleed from a relay

rnkma4

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2014
Santa Clarita
I had a clicking coming from behind the dash in my F-150 (2014), it was the A/C blend door actuator.

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
Applying brake pedal should narrow down random things. Either a brake master cylinder vacuum check valve or a brake light switch. Being that this happens above 10-15 mph I would look at front brakes. Could be a brake pad or rotating assembly in front.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Thanks for the responses. I will dive a little deeper into this. Unfortunately I think Frank has likely got it nailed😂