stalling again...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have it on good authority that Shell will be starting to put 10% ethanol in their petrol/gas in Europe any day now - if not already. They're not going to advertise this fact either. For those with classic cars or cars not driven that often, ethanol is not an attractive additive - particularly given it's propensity to mix with water so well.

Probably nothing to do with your stalling problem, but I thought I'd post up as it may be of interest to the GT posse!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
the info below is from my gt tech

"Code P0455 on a GT, if the fuel filler “flapper” is good then I would be looking at the VMV (vapor management valve)

The fuel filler pipe will never cause a drivability problem but a sticking VMV can cause all kinds of low speed & intermittent drivability problems including a P0455, P0456 & P0457.

Item 1D in the PDF file"

i don't know how to attach a pdf. send me a pm with your email and i will send to you.

It seems the stalling and ideling problems sound like a vacuum leak. Would the flapper valve cause that or just cause a failure of the evap test cycle?

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Had my first stalling while under way. Half a tank (not Shell) of city driving, moderate accelleration for a very short stretch, then off the gas to go 35 mph for 1/2 mile. Acted as if fuel or air starved, gasping, stalled. 3-4 restarts finally caught on revving it up. No engine codes. Can not reproduce it. 25k miles. Guess I'll have to just keep driving it to see if it happens again.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Had my first stalling while under way. Half a tank (not Shell) of city driving, moderate accelleration for a very short stretch, then off the gas to go 35 mph for 1/2 mile. Acted as if fuel or air starved, gasping, stalled. 3-4 restarts finally caught on revving it up. No engine codes. Can not reproduce it. 25k miles. Guess I'll have to just keep driving it to see if it happens again.
Could be the bypass valve hung up. During the decelleration it should open and relieve back pressure. The description I heard of when this happens is a sputtering of the engine.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
As an update..

i've filled and run through perhaps 3 tanks of fuel since my last stall. I'm beginning to suspect it had to do with my aggressive overfilling of the tank. That's speculative of course. Last time the filler valve was a problem, the vehicle stalled 3-4x/day.