splash shield - &!!#!!@

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
What a pain the front splash shield is. Next step for me is a sawz-all unless someone can give me the hot tip to coax it out. Thanks. :willy

And yes every fastener within a 100 miles is out. And I just lit a cigar with that page of the manual.

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
Sorry to hear that. You might try to pm shelbyelite.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you are talking about the front fender liners.

Take all of the push and screw pins off.
Then loosen the front section of side skirt so that it can hang down a few inches.
Punch the insides of the fender liner to loosen it from the fender's lip.
Next curl up the fender liner making it smaller in diameter while rotating it so that the trailing edge comes out of the lowered side skirt.

Remember to use ample blue tape on the fenders!

I found it not too hard if you have a lift and position the wheel well so that you can get good leverage on the liner while standing.

These tips were provided to me by the Shadowman and work very well.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Call my guy Eric. Ph# 8703517008. He will walk you through it

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Note: There are 4 of the christmas tree connectors on the top row. The one closest to the fender lip is almost invisible. I got caught with this exact thing.

Then you have to pull the liner in the area of the coil springs in towards the outside, and physically deform it at the top. Then the liner will be able to rotate within the well. It's easy after you do it the first time.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
best way to ease the pain is with a portable space heater to soften it. Made my life much easier.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
We need an apprenticeship program. All mechanical things are really easy after you've done them once, and a piece of cake after 10, but it's the 1st time that is the drag :)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We need an apprenticeship program. All mechanical things are really easy after you've done them once, and a piece of cake after 10, but it's the 1st time that is the drag :)

Boy howdy! Ryan never bats an eye and has these liners out and in before you even realize it. First couple were learning the technique, second couple perfecting it... and now just routine. Same with transaxle removals, engine removals, etc. Just more steps.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Boy howdy! Ryan never bats an eye and has these liners out and in before you even realize it. First couple were learning the technique, second couple perfecting it... and now just routine. Same with transaxle removals, engine removals, etc. Just more steps.

And learning the shortcuts

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
that bastards' coming out ...... tomorrow. Thanks for the tips.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Be very careful NOT to bend the fender. Remember, it is aluminum. +1 on heating it. I used a hair dryer to massage it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Be very careful NOT to bend the fender. Remember, it is aluminum. +1 on heating it. I used a hair dryer to massage it.

And blue tape everywhere!!! Especially around the edges of the fender itself. You might also want to loosen the "splitter" that runs along the side under the doors right at the wheel well for a few bolts back. This made it a little easier to disengage the liner at that seam, then it will "roll" under the car.

I tried a hair dryer and it didn't move enough air or heat to make the whole unit supple. I was working on mine in the summer so it was easier. When it came back to reinstall I put it out in the sun. I also ended up with a few dimples that wouldn't come out, even with heat and trying to pop them back into place. I'm not sure if they were there before or not but they are behind the tires so who cares.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
It would be great if someone with experience doing the r & r of the liner would make a video the next time they do it.

AJK

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just hope I never have to do it again. Rich warned me the R&R would take 1/2 the whole time of the project and it did. Might go faster the next time though. It would perhaps be that two sets of hands might help but there isn't room for two people to stand there...

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I appreciate all the advice and support. Right on about Al fender, tape, etc. Warming it sounds interesting. I complicated matters a bit today by thinking I was going to be a hero and drop the strut out of the way completely. Well, I have butterfly doors and the lift strut for the door is tied in with the top of the strut, so man, that's a bad idea. But Shelby's guy Eric saved me and I'm back on track, just a day behind. Having a scotch. Back on it tomorrow. All I'm trying to do is get at the fuel filler assy so I can replace the fuel door cover. I've got a nice custom door, but maybe there's an easier way (?)

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ
Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun putting it back too!

+1 on the video if anyone is up for it.