Road Trip Essentials

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Getting ready to do about 2000 miles in my GT. I’ll have my usual tool roll which hasn’t let me down yet, but wondering if there are GT specific things the GT may need?

An example is on my 2004 Cobra when road tripping I always had an extra Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. They were known to go bad at random times.

Any parts or unique tool suggestions? Things to service or replace right before?

Thanks!

Reactions: Twturbo

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I'm watching for replies: Trailering mine this week from FL to the Tail of the Dragon and other eastern TN / western NC mountain roads. Nowhere near a 2,000-mile drive, but some replies might apply.

Good luck on your drive! 👍 ... oh, and from / to where?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Hockey puck, tow hook, fix a flat

Reactions: PeteK and Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Good luck & have fun!

Ed

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Spare fuel pump relays

Reactions: 2112

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
AAA card

Reactions: PeteK

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Does anyone have a good suggestion for jacking the car up (portable bottle jack, etc.)?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
When I go on a road trip in the GT, I also bring a small aluminum "race jack". It sits in the bottom of the frunk liner, and the handle comes apart in two parts to fit in there too. I use the jack at the back of the doors, at the reinforced seam where the firewall joins the frame rails. That is a good and solid place to lift, and you can lift up one side of the car--both front and rear wheels.

Like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/15-to...-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-64545.html

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I would pack a tire plug kit (I have a kit in ours). While I would not consider an externally applied plug an acceptable long term repair, it could save you. You can have access to the fronts, by turning the steering wheel to lock, and there is plenty of access to the rears with the clam shell open. Dont forget to have wire cutters or something to be able to pull out the screw to be able to plug. You already have a compressor on board.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I agree with Specracer
A tire plug kit and air moto inflator
Having driven my GT cross country. I would say the only issue is when you stop for gas! You will become very popular

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
10mm wrench incase ur battery ground needs adjustment.

Reactions: Johntpr

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
In 2020 I picked up a GT500 in South Carolina, drove to Idaho via Texas. I drove tail of the dragon. I have not been so disappointed, passed three State Police in the 11 or so miles. The drive to and from I had a much better time. Twisty roads, no traffic, and best no cops. I would love to travel in mine, just not sure where to put a weeks worth of clothing let alone a jack. I guess buy as you go. Would be fun to someday do a adventure like that. Have fun. Take credit card and be willing to buy whatever you need. Peaches in Georgia were great.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Clearplex on the windshield... Drove our ~3300 from Denver to Anchorage, summer in Alaska and then back to Denver in the fall. Fantastic road trip and not a single hiccup...

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Many of us have traveled in our FGTs without a jack. I too carry a plug kit, pump, and fix a flat. Never had a problem.

Even with a passenger you can store a lot of stuff behind the seats with no problem. If you are without a passenger its a breeze to pack a week of clothes.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Johntpr

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you use the car cover bags .You find they fit perfectly in the trunk. They also fit nicely in the foot well DO MOT PUT ANY LIQUIDS IN THE TRUNK!! The truck heats up to 150 degrees! I used suction sups with hooks on the rear glass behind the seats to hang certain clothes. (Actually Mark McGowan’s idea)

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6981.jpeg
    IMG_6981.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

BasillioG

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2019
Phoenix
If you use the car cover bags .You find they fit perfectly in the trunk. They also fit nicely in the foot well DO MOT PUT ANY LIQUIDS IN THE TRUNK!! The truck heats up to 150 degrees! I used suction sups with hooks on the rear glass behind the seats to hang certain clothes. (Actually Mark McGowan’s idea)
Your wife is a Saint! Hang on to her...I can almost hear my wife's comments coming from your pic's.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Been together 34 years!
So I asked her the other day. Am I the only one you have ever been with?
She said actually honey you are!
All the others were nines and tens!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Presuming you know where you are going and the route, if you have a flat you can check where you might have a tire overnighted to you; BUT where can they mount it? A little research ahead of time can save you days of waiting.

Reactions: Redfire03

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Gotta love a woman with a sense of humor. :LOL:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I use large garment bags behind seats, can hold allot and seatbacks keep them in place. Suction cups on glass worries me since reports of glass breakage ( at altitude?).
Passenger foot well also. Wife ‘s shoes get shipped ahead of time if going to reunion!!!

Reactions: Redfire03