Pix from my motorcycle wreck last month

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
On 6-10-24 i hit a semi-truck at 40 mph while riding my 2009 STAR Vmax motorcycle in Avondale, Arizona. He turned in front of me as he did not see me and i was going to fast to get stopped in time. As you can see the shoei helmet saved my life. Unfortunately I have 3 broken bones in my left hand and 1 in my left wrist. The doc wanted to put 3 metal rods into my metacarpal bones but I told him no. When he told me this 8 days ago I could only make 25% of a fist. I can now make 75%. I think I can get to 90% soon and the last 10% is up to god. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to ever hit a heavy bag again (my heart is broken).

Bull riders don't ride bulls forever and so my days of riding motorcycles has come to an end. I drag raced motorcycles for 15 years and have lots of trophies and pay checks. I just want to buy a used corvette now and get another dog and travel. You are safer racing motorcycles on a dragstrip than you are riding them in large cities...

20240611_101909.jpg20240613_103526.jpg20240613_103330.jpg20240611_125822.jpg20240611_125720.jpg

Attachments

• 20240611_125720.jpg
    20240611_125720.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: viva gt

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ouch! Glad it wasn't worse!

Reactions: Fast Freddy
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Thank freakin god you had a helmet on. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a biker riding without a helmet and all I can think is "one small accident and your done."

Glad you're on the mend.

QSS

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I sold my truck back on 12-6-2023 and started riding my 2 motorcycles 5 Days a week to save money, etc. As a result of how hot it is here I stopped wearing my track gear and was only wearing a pair of shorts, running shoes and a long sleeved t-shirt with back pack on and some too thin leather gloves and a helmet. I should have kept my Dodge Ram TRX and sold my motorcycles instead...

Last edited:

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Glad you're going to be okay.

I have six very cool motorcycles, I don't ride any of them any longer.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sorry to hear about this. Years ago I used to drag race (and foolishly, street race) my motorcycles until I too had an accident. My girlfriend (now wife) and parents convinced me to give them up and stick to cars, which is what I did. Still miss them, but I value my life now more than I used to. Hope you continue to heal up quickly.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yeeeeoouchdamn! Man, that reeeally sucks. I'm heading to the NC mountains in Sept with 2 buds to ride all the awesome roads up there again, and I'm always aware of the crash risk. Have never gone down, knock on wood, and of course sure hope I never do, especially since my 55 year old body already has aches and pains even without a crash. I do wear "all the gear all the time", always, but I have no doubt that any crash is gonna hurt anyway, a lot.

Hope you heal up fully. Maybe you'll end up riding again at some point after all.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
As a result of living my life like a daredevil since the day I was born I have accumulated the following injuries in my body over 57 years of time...

1 - broke left elbow 3 times
2 - broke left wrist 3 times
3 - broke 3 bones left hand
4 - broke left index finger
5 - broke right elbow
6 - broke right wrist
7 - had stage 3 radial nerve compression in right arm for 4 years. Was instantly healed by oral roberts son richard roberts in 2018.
8 - broke right thumb
9 - broke rib on right side
10 - broke right foot
11 - 60 % sensory nerve damage in right hand pinky finger and 30% sensory nerve damage in right hand ring finger. Also a small part of my palm has sensory nerve damage.
12 - fractured vertebrae in neck in 2015 Never had surgery.
13- 2 herniated disc's in lower back. imaging has confirmed after 34 years one of the dics has has healed...

nunchucks, pushups, bruce lee hand and forearm exercise devices + heavy bag and speed bag workouts have healed my arms and hands more than weight lifting ever has. I will continue to practice and develop my jeet kune do with the goal of trying to hit a heavy bag again someday. 16 ounce gloves with hand wraps may be possible in 2 or 3 years but bare knuckles I will never do again....

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I got a painful paper cut yesterday.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I got a painful paper cut yesterday.
Post photos

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Good and speedy recovery.

I sold my truck back on 12-6-2023 and started riding my 2 motorcycles 5 Days a week to save money, etc. As a result of how hot it is here I stopped wearing my track gear and was only wearing a pair of shorts, running shoes and a long sleeved t-shirt with back pack on and some too thin leather gloves and a helmet. I should have kept my Dodge Ram TRX and sold my motorcycles instead...
Glad you're going to be OK! Nevertheless, ATGATT wins every time. I've been riding for 60 years and never doubt that every cager wants to kill me ...

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
These videos are very inspiring to me. I am determined to hit the heavy bag like Mike Tyson and George Foreman again...

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Freddy, it doesnt look like you came out too badly, all things considered.

I sympathize with ya on giving up two wheels. I’m still riding an Electraglide and several KLR 650’s. I know my riding days will end sometime, but i hope I can eke out another decade. There are still bucket list rides i want to do, but the Trans-America Trail probably is beyond my capability now.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office. Nothing has ever made me feel more free in my life than riding them. I am gonna miss them as i have owned 13 motorcycles since I started riding them at the age of 6. My year 2000 Honda CR-500 two stroke dirt bike was my favorite of all. I had a 10 paddle skat-track tire for the sand dunes in Glamis, California and jumped it 89 feet. I hit 87 mph on GPS with the stock gearing and pulled a 1/4 mile power wheelie on the beach at that speed in Rocky point, Mexico. My year 2000 Turbocharged Kawasaki ZRX-1100 was my favorite street bike. I cut a .000 light at the dragstrip on it and would pull 3rd gear power wheelies on the street at 115 mph. Riding my year 2001 Honda CBR-929 rr I blew the motor at 178 mph on GPS spraying a 40 shot of nitrous in 6th gear with taller rear gearing. I was geared to go 185 mph. I had taken the muffler off and when the motor blew it oiled down the rear tire and at 100 mph I almost wrecked from the fishtail trying to get it stopped.

Martial Arts are more important to me now then motorcycles. I put alot of time and effort into becoming a black belt with nunchucks and I never want to jeopardize my ability to do them again. I will have to wear gloves with padding on the back of them from now on as i perform 5th degree kata at the same speed Bruce Lee did with the heavier nunchucks that I use. Of course if I can ever make enough money to start racing cars again I will 🏁

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Oh, my, that's some serious road rash right there. Hope you heal quickly and well, so you're back to 100 percent again. I broke my foot in April, I'm out of my cast and into a shoe now, but it still hurts to walk on it. I was told it will take a full year before all the discomfort goes away. Hope they are wrong. I also sold my motorcycle years go after a few close calls - luckily never had an accident, but close. I loved motocross racing. Best wishes.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I took the pic of my hand the day after the accident and the road rash pix a couple of days later. They put 33 stitches in my hand as the skin was ripped off to the bones and hanging by one finger. I could literally see my knuckles, tendons and bones 😇

I hit the semi-trucks trailer at approximately a 45 degree angle and the height of my handle bar was the same as the leading bottom edge of the trailer. This was like an AXE to my hand at 40 mph. It is a miracle that my knuckles did not get crushed as my forearm is literally bent from getting steam rolled between the two. my handle bar is bent too from my bullrider like death grip as I knew I was gonna collide with the trailer. All I could think about was do not get run over by the trailers back wheels so my upper body and head bounced off the trailer and I hit the pavement at 35 mph and my leg got trapped between a 680 pound motorcycle and the pavement 🔥 We flipped and rolled into the dirt. My ribs were pretty bruised and i got some small areas of road rash on the back of my left shoulder, left knee and right elbow too. Two minutes after the accident I could feel my body starting to swell up and I passed out from the pain in my hand 🙏

Last edited:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Now that you've had a minute to think about it, anything you could've done differently? Or was it just unavoidable?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
If I was riding a motocross bike I could have avoided it by turning out of the way. The STAR Vmax is 680 lbs with shaft drive and it does not lean into turns quickly as it is hard to flick. My bike was made worse by the fact that I had the optional wider rear wheel and 240 mm wide rear tire. Turns the bike into a dragster. The Vmax does have abs but you forget that you have that in a wreck because only two motorcycles I have ever owned have abs. In retrospect i should have braked harder but i was trying to avoid colliding with the back wheels of the trailer and if I would have laid the bike down I would have got run over....

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
20240707_070540.jpg