Oil pressure problem after oil change

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
so where did the dam thing go,and who was the wing ding that broke it! holy cow!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Also goes to show how so many people are not very observant. Why didn't the trained mechanic notice the difference between the old filter and the new filter? No attention to detail, just get the job done as fast as possible.

The part looks like a black plastic teepee. Mine stayed attached to the metal outer cap and the filter slid off it. The plastic slides inside the filter and when the filter is slid over it, you should feel it click twice into position.

In the cars I have seen the outer cap is plastic too. My teepee has aways stayed with the cap when it was removed.

This thread highlights why I avoid taking my car to a dealer unless I have to. If you can't do a oil change correctly, what happens when a more difficult service is required? :ack

I have only brought my FGT to a dealer once when my cars trunk key latch never worked and will have to again for the air bags. I won't expect the service for the NFGT to be any better at your local dealers.

Justin

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Massachusetts
The only dealer I trust local to me is Tasca in RI but they are over 100 miles away and their mod shop is always busy. In hindsght I shouldve done the change myself. I called and spoke to the service dept at my local dealer on multiple occassions confirming they could do the oil change on the FGT, and they told me to bring it in. I have an F150 platinum, and and F350 super duty diesel that i bought there and figured they would be straight with me. I figured its an oil change! Who could mess it up? But yeah, lesson learned. Now we'll see if the dealer steps up and helps cover expenses on this. The service manager was in complete dbag mode via phone today. Should be an interesting situation moving forward.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Thanks!!!

I'm not an expert on the GT oiling system, just applying knowledge from other cars. I change my own oil, but have slept since then, so I'm not positive about exactly what it looks like. I'll be changing my oil before the rally so if I think of it I'll snap some photos (again, I will have slept so no promises). There are two pieces in addition to the cap (I don't know if they are removable or not), one that is a cylinder matching the ID of the filter presumably to keep it in place and from collapsing and the other is to let the oil drain to the sump when taking off the cap.

Looks something like this.. although I believe there is only one o-ring on the stem.

cap.jpg

From the parts site looks like only the ID tube is removable (see 6890). What exactly are you missing?

RenderIllustration.ashx.jpg

Justin

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Massachusetts
i am missing the stem apparently.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I'm not an expert on the GT oiling system, just applying knowledge from other cars. I change my own oil, but have slept since then, so I'm not positive about exactly what it looks like. I'll be changing my oil before the rally so if I think of it I'll snap some photos (again, I will have slept so no promises). There are two pieces in addition to the cap (I don't know if they are removable or not), one that is a cylinder matching the ID of the filter presumably to keep it in place and from collapsing and the other is to let the oil drain to the sump when taking off the cap.

Looks something like this.. although I believe there is only one o-ring on the stem.

View attachment 43800

From the parts site looks like only the ID tube is removable (see 6890). What exactly are you missing?

View attachment 43801

Funny how your memory serves you. That's the black plastic filter insert I was remembering. For some reason, I remembered the tubular grated part tapering towards the pointed tip therefore my teepee comment. The cap may have been black plastic. LOL

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
So here it is... wondering now if I am missing an o-ring.

IMG_6292.jpg

Got to hand it to these guys... as the oil is pouring out of the car I can see that it is still amber, after ~3K miles, 1 year, including a track day. Even with a pulley/tune this engine isn't being taxed. Or my oil isn't flowing. :biggrin

Were they doctors? WTF does this say?

IMG_6297.jpg

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
OH... and what is "ROMEO NICHE-LINE"?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
These signatures are from the team of 2 people who built your engine. A 2 person team build each Ford GT engine and they also built the Shelby GT 500 engines as a team.
The Romeo Niche line is a dedicated engine build line at the Ford Romeo Engine plant in Romeo Michigan..
But now you guys have me worried... I have had At least twelve oil Changes done on my 2006 Ford GT to date with no issue.
A question... are the Shelby GT350 Flat Planes built at Romeo. ? and signed ?

andy (ajb)

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I think that little stem with o-ring plugs a hole that allows the oil that is in the filter housing to drain when you are removing the cap.

Does that mean by unscrewing the cap past a certain point and letting it sit to drain, it is possible to then remove the filter without oil pouring all over the engine bay and onto the belly pans? That would definitely make my next oil change less of a hassle.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Does that mean by unscrewing the cap past a certain point and letting it sit to drain, it is possible to then remove the filter without oil pouring all over the engine bay and onto the belly pans? That would definitely make my next oil change less of a hassle.
Yes, the oil will not spill out of the filter onto your engine. I use a rag to grab the bottom of the filter so it doesn't brush up against the hoses. Once removed, separate the filter from the housing to let the filter drain. The only O-ring that needs replacing is the large one around the housing. Don't use the copper washer that comes with the new filter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I use kids. My hands stay clean. :thumbsup

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6314.jpg

IMG_6313.jpg

IMG_6316.jpg

IMG_6318.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They deserve it wearing Cubs clothing. There's nothing better than using Cubs stuff to change oil.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Harsh….

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
They deserve it wearing Cubs clothing. There's nothing better than using Cubs stuff to change oil.

Illinois cardinal fans, I hate Illinois cardinal fans. :wink

kHZn5WG.gif