Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
are you sure we should allow these viper guys on the site ? :lol :lol

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Either one sounds like a good deal. The red ones are getting hard to find- jump on one of them! $150K is about as low as one could possibly be found with next-to-no miles- I'd take the '05 !

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
Mad in NC,
You are one loyal FGT owner. You have replaced under warranty on a brand new car ,the oil pump, main seal and half shaft bolts and you still own and recommend the car? Wow! Ford is very lucky to have you as an owner, I hope they appreciate your loyalty, but somehow I doubt it?

So. Cal Rebell
As a current FGT and Viper owner and also someone who has previously raced in the Viper Days series which is a fantastic and safe place to enjoy your Viper I would pass on the FGT and wait for the new 2008/600 HP Viper or even buy an 06 Viper which are easily bought brand new in the mid 70s and are fully sorted out from the factory. Fully half the price of a new or apparently even a used FGT.

Overall as the owner of both cars IMHO the Viper is a far superior car to the FGT in every way except looks with a much stronger dealer support system, with Viper techs readily available. The Viper has benefited immensely from 15 years of real world experience as well as a factory support system in place that has listened to Viper owners and has also created an inexpensive and sorted out factory race car which is doing incredibly well in many different race series icluding the world Challenge Series.

The FGT in my opinion has a weak dealer support system, and the car is in essence a two year Ford marketing exercise to celebrate it's 100th year of doing business. With many FGT owners doing the real world testing and development for Ford.

Quite frankly in stock configuration right from the dealer I think the Viper is quicker around any road circuit than the FGT. The FGT in stock configuration is something of a disappointment. Ford has acknowledged the FGT's it supplied to the press were tuned differently than the FGTs we received as consumers and until you mod the FGT it is no faster than a 06 Viper for double the price.

However after having driven a modded 06 FGT with 7K in modifications and 625 to 650 HP at the rear wheels the FGT once modified is an absolute rocket ship with timeless and iconic styling. The FGT may go down in automotive history as one of the best looking performance cars ever built and Ford must be given it's due for even building such a car!

The sound of a FGT with aftermarket exhaust rivals a Carrera GT or Enzo, quite obviously for much less cost. It is amazing how good the car sounds once fitted with aftermarket exhaust.

As a collector of all things Ford I place the FGT next to my 70 Boss 429 , all timeless styling for show and from the factory no go in regard to performance.
The FGT as far as I am aware has no race or driving school series like Viper days and as a two year only car will probably will never have such a series.

Read and research carefully on this forum for all the problems FGT owners are having with Fords brand new car such as oil pumps, leaky main seals, half shaft bolts. etc. etc. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the track which it sounds like you are, the new Viper or new 600 HP vette may be a better car?
Yes you can mod your new FGT to 650 HP quite easily, but the factory will void your warranty just as easily in the event of a catastrophic malfunction. The new Viper and vette will be at 600 HP or more from the factory and still under warranty albeit with half the styling.

My two cents.

M

Mark O

are you sure we should allow these viper guys on the site ? :lol :lol

At least we're not like those Vette guys. :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Mad in NC,
You are one loyal FGT owner. You have replaced under warranty on a brand new car ,the oil pump, main seal and half shaft bolts and you still own and recommend the car? Wow! Ford is very lucky to have you as an owner, I hope they appreciate your loyalty, but somehow I doubt it?

So. Cal Rebell
As a current FGT and Viper owner and also someone who has previously raced in the Viper Days series which is a fantastic and safe place to enjoy your Viper I would pass on the FGT and wait for the new 2008/600 HP Viper or even buy an 06 Viper which are easily bought brand new in the mid 70s and are fully sorted out from the factory. Fully half the price of a new or apparently even a used FGT.

Overall as the owner of both cars IMHO the Viper is a far superior car to the FGT in every way except looks with a much stronger dealer support system, with Viper techs readily available. The Viper has benefited immensely from 15 years of real world experience as well as a factory support system in place that has listened to Viper owners and has also created an inexpensive and sorted out factory race car which is doing incredibly well in many different race series icluding the world Challenge Series.

The FGT in my opinion has a weak dealer support system, and the car is in essence a two year Ford marketing exercise to celebrate it's 100th year of doing business. With many FGT owners doing the real world testing and development for Ford.

Quite frankly in stock configuration right from the dealer I think the Viper is quicker around any road circuit than the FGT. The FGT in stock configuration is something of a disappointment. Ford has acknowledged the FGT's it supplied to the press were tuned differently than the FGTs we received as consumers and until you mod the FGT it is no faster than a 06 Viper for double the price.

However after having driven a modded 06 FGT with 7K in modifications and 625 to 650 HP at the rear wheels the FGT once modified is an absolute rocket ship with timeless and iconic styling. The FGT may go down in automotive history as one of the best looking performance cars ever built and Ford must be given it's due for even building such a car!

The sound of a FGT with aftermarket exhaust rivals a Carrera GT or Enzo, quite obviously for much less cost. It is amazing how good the car sounds once fitted with aftermarket exhaust.

As a collector of all things Ford I place the FGT next to my 70 Boss 429 , all timeless styling for show and from the factory no go in regard to performance.
The FGT as far as I am aware has no race or driving school series like Viper days and as a two year only car will probably will never have such a series.

Read and research carefully on this forum for all the problems FGT owners are having with Fords brand new car such as oil pumps, leaky main seals, half shaft bolts. etc. etc. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the track which it sounds like you are, the new Viper or new 600 HP vette may be a better car?
Yes you can mod your new FGT to 650 HP quite easily, but the factory will void your warranty just as easily in the event of a catastrophic malfunction. The new Viper and vette will be at 600 HP or more from the factory and still under warranty albeit with half the styling.

My two cents.

It is amazing to see you back, didn't you sell that lemon of yours because Edsel Ford refused to come out and turn off your fan??:bored :rofl :bored
If anybody takes a look at your 22 posts they can only conclude that the GT ownership experience was is/not for you.

Didn't you coin the term 'coldline' for the 'hotline' because they were closed on Veteran's Day:ack

I can understand if you can't deal with a blower motor, how the half shaft issue would be overwhelming to you. I acknowledge the issue with the half shaft bolts, however, if you do a search on this site looking for defective oil pumps you will find that to be a non issue.:bs

Most of us understand that the GT is a hand built car and may have issues, it appears that the Ford has been honorable in standing behind the car.

It appears more Viper owners than any other marque have elected to add GT's to their stables. They seem to be proud of both their Viper's and GT's.

I thought my stock Gt was pretty amazing as it left the factory, now with over 750rwhp it continues to amaze me. Oh by the way, my car has never returned to any dealer.

Anyone interested in the GT can draw their own conclusions, they are on the right site to get all the information, anyone who reads your past posts will have to discount your comments.

Hope your Christmas was great!:wink

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA

Are you serious?:bs
It's considered one of the best performing stock cars made.
Yes, the Z is a slightly better competitor, but the current Viper is not.
The GT came out before the Z, and obviously before the upcoming Viper.
Usually, newer competitors are better preforming as they evolve.
If you guage the overall satisfaction of the car with all the owners on the site, you would see a totally different opinion.
Obviously, this is my opinion, and opinions are like .....
You know the saying.:wink :biggrin

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
Originally Posted by CSX 2104

I own a GT and a 69 Boss 429 so I do agree with that part of the comment. Only problem with the Boss 429 is I am afraid to drive it cause parts are so hard to get when you break somthing. IMO The problem with the Viper is they are everwhere like Vettes, Dodge should have pulled the program like Ford did after 3 or 4 years like Shelby suggested to them. Now the resale is poor.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35231&postcount=18

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Mad in NC,

I've been extremely happy with the car. The service department and Ford takes great care of me. The simplae facts aer:
1/ The oil pump was for the cure of the rattlesnake noise. Service Tech found the noise came from the bypass valve in the oil pump. Ford allowed replacement even though they did'nt have to.
2/ Main seal - well it is a hand built car and a hand built engine. Sometimes one gets an issue. Ford stepped up immediately and fixed it correctly!
3/ Half shaft work was initiated by me. I bought the parts - dealer did the work. Peace of mind insurance.

Summary - limited production car and handbuilt. Every one has it's own personality -just like us. Ford has stepped up to insure that I am happy. Great car. Great Forum and new friends. Great times. Ford did a great job for the Rally attendees. Great people built this car - the passion of the owners and builders is what brought us together. No remorse.

I don't want a garage queen so I just drive it - and hard! There is no comparison at all between the FGT and a 70 Boss 429. The GT is made to drive hard with no worries. I've a 69 Mach1 going through a resto and even then when it is completed - I'll drive it like it was meant to be driven - and fix it every time I take it out. That's me and my 2 cents.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Mad in NC,

So. Cal Rebell

My two cents.
Are you sure you own a gt? 99.9% of the owners think its the best car on the road today. And where did you get this crap about the press cars being tuned differant? I have nothing but praise for Ford for building the car.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ditto on what Bony said.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Well, since we have all these "Eye openers" on the site now, I guess I will jump on the bandwagon.

I hate my GT. It sucks! I have to push way too hard on the gas pedal to go fast! I even have to take my foot off the brake to hit triple digits! Argh!!!

What kind of car is this? I paid $160K for a car that I have to insert a key into! Why aren't there any back seats? My F150 will run circles around this hunk of junk! I can prove it, the GT has an F150's motor in it!:wink
Clarkson said so, so it has to be true!

Why don't the air conditioners in my seats work? Hell, I'm gonna buy a Viper and a Z06, sell my GT and be better off.
So, who wants my GT. I'll let the first one over $250K have it!:biggrin :banana

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Ditto on what Bony said.

YA, well..... Ditto on what Frank said

Well, since we have all these "Eye openers" on the site now, I guess I will jump on the bandwagon.

I hate my GT. It sucks! I have to push way too hard on the gas pedal to go fast! I even have to take my foot off the brake to hit triple digits! Argh!!!

What kind of car is this? I paid $160K for a car that I have to insert a key into! Why aren't there any back seats? My F150 will run circles around this hunk of junk! I can prove it, the GT has an F150's motor in it!:wink
Clarkson said so, so it has to be true!

Why don't the air conditioners in my seats work? Hell, I'm gonna buy a Viper and a Z06, sell my GT and be better off.
So, who wants my GT. I'll let the first one over $250K have it!:biggrin :banana

Rocman - buy a volvo (just kidding:rofl )

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Rocman - buy a volvo (just kidding:rofl )[/QUOTE]

I like Volvo's.:biggrin

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
My local Ford dealer has treated me like royalty. Prior to track events, I have taken it there to have a "tech spec" and 1 oil filter change. Great people. The treatment has been better than the local Porsche dealership for my Cayenne Turbo. Early on I had an issue with my airconditioning...what did Ford do?...they replaced the entire unit. Wow. I have never owned anything high performance in which I did not have some small issue early on. I cannot comment on the Viper as I have never driven one...but there are numerous comparisons of these cars including the Z06 from a variety of car mags. There are also, as expected, various owners of both who can provide some insight. I certainly have no regrets.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Rocman - buy a volvo (just kidding:rofl )

I like Volvo's.:biggrin[/QUOTE]

I see a green 240 station wagon in your past. Just kidding -again they are nice cars. My good friend had one but the green machine had a case of bad karma about it. It was attacked by deer where they hit him. Not once but three times in a two month span. The same cop shopped up on two of the calls. While the cop was stating there were'nt any deer on this road, sure enough 4 ran right past him. Accident report filed - no quesitons. He sold it for a suburban and never has been attacked again...:lol

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
You guys remind me of the Corvette ZR1 owners a few years back who went around calling the ZR1 the supercar to end all supercars until they moved on and bought Vipers. Now many of the ZR1/Viper guys have moved on to the FGT with a few stopping back at the Chevy store for a Z06 or two.

Not surprisingly one finds new FGT owners on a FGT websight in a narcotic state of rapture lacking a real degree of objectivity gushing about their respective ownership experiences despite having repeatedly to spend unwanted amounts of time at the Ford dealership. IMHO most of the current FGT owners who frequent this sight will have moved on to the next thing in a few short years despite all present denials to the contrary. With the possible exception of those who paid 100K over MSRP and who are now lifetime FGT owners.

Two FGT engineers including the former head of the FGT program who also supplied the press cars have been quoted as stating to automotive writers for a major auto mag. that the FGT press cars were "supertuned" for the media which included increased boost. Furthermore every FGT owner who I know and also trust to be objective who has had their stock FGT tested on a chassis dyno are seeing between 445 and 465HP HP at the rear wheels in stock configuration equating to an average of about 500HP. I can't imagine anyone who owns a stock FGT getting on average 12.5 pounds of boost realisticlly thinks their FGTs are turning mid 11s in the quarter mile like many of the press cars did and still do.

Yes Bony, I am the guy who was and still is disappointed with my FGT, and Fords dealer support network for the car as well as the so called hotline which was closed on the next working day after most of the country celebrated Veterans day and whom never did return any of my calls for support. When I finally did reach them the highly trained tech referred to my car as a GT 40 and told me to call a tow truck. Wow I wonder how much training Ford invested in her? I can't sell the car until I resolve all the issues with it and I am certain the next owner will purchase a trouble free car. Or at least a car that will make it home to the new owners garage? I am not dumping my FGT headaches with this car on to the next guy.

So. Cal. Rebell is obvioulsy a hard core very experienced road race enthusiast and surfed over to this sight looking for objective opinions on a prospective purchase. Having started racing in Karts as a kid and having continued to road race for most of my life I gave him my opinion based on my ownership experience of a stock FGT and my driving experiences of a modified FGT.

I think everyone can agree the FGT has electric and timeless looks and was a great marketing success for Ford. I think we all agree that the FGT once modified with all the inherent quality control problems worked out one would expect with a brand new two year only car is a super car in every sense of the word. But IMHO one must be willing to be patient like the NC guy and a prospective FGT owner like So. Cal. Rebell cannot expect the FGT to have the quality control of a conventional or normal 160K car. The price tag and the quality control along with in most cases a startling lack of factory and dealer support are not equal to 160K. Ford earns it's living selling to the masses not typically selling to customers able to write checks for a 160K car.

IMHO So. Cal. Rebel being a hardcore former Viperdays guy would not be happy seriously road racing the FGT. As an example I still haven't heard anyone recommend him a tuner in Southern cal. to modify his FGT for road racing? Yet several exist in his area for the Viper and Vette. Of course Vettes are a dime a dozen and the Viper pales in comparison to the FGT in terms of looks but they are both IMHO more suited to what So. Cal. Rebel seems to be considering.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
every FGT owner who I know and also trust to be objective who has had their stock FGT tested on a chassis dyno are seeing between 445 and 465HP HP at the rear wheels in stock configuration equating to an average of about 500HP.
I dont remember seeing that. I remember most people having between 520 & 550 RWHP. Can anyone confirm this? I also doubt the car would be able to go 205 MPH if it were only 445RWHP.

As an example I still haven't heard anyone recommend him a tuner in Southern cal. to modify his FGT for road racing?
As a matter of fact, I did. Read post #6.:biggrin

A lot of what you have been quoted saying is a little inaccurate. I am sure I am not the only one that thinks this.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
...cannot expect the FGT to have the quality control of a conventional or normal 160K car. The price tag and the quality control along with in most cases a startling lack of factory and dealer support are not equal to 160K. Ford earns it's living selling to the masses not typically selling to customers able to write checks for a 160K car. .....

What other $160K car do you have experience with to base this conclusion on? I'm not suggesting that you don't, I'd just like to know what your reference vehicle(s) is/are. My F430 has had two service letter "recalls" since I bought it a little over a year ago. Waited for parts, and even worse waited a couple weeks for an appointment to have it serviced. One service required a tow truck which the dealer suggested that I arrange. At least he was kind enough to give me a phone number for the towing company.

Want to talk about problems with my SL65 AMG? I'd need a whole page on that. My experience with the local MB dealer is worse than the F-car dealer.

I can tell you that I have spoken personally with the engineers that designed my Ford GT, and the Ford managers that were responsible for it's manufacture. Hell, I've had dinner with a few of them. I even turned a few wrenches with the guys on the assembly line that built one of mine. How many F-car, Porsche or Lambo customers can say the same?

The majority of the owners on this site do not have problems with their cars. I would wager that most of the owners on this site have been treated like royalty by the dealers that have serviced or sold their cars. I for one would put my Ford dealer (Wynne Ford in Hampton VA) up against ANY exotic dealership.

I obviously have a different opinion than you have. My experience has been that the Ford folks involved with this car are passionate and accessible.

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
LMAO at this thread.

If you can't turn an 11 in your GT, you just can't drive it well enough. :lol

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
P.S, stock GT's put down way more than 445 rwhp stock. Way more. It's not conjecture, it's a fact. Even a cursory glance through the search engine reveals it.

Tiger 6 - 504rwhp
californiacuda-535rwhp
davisp - 499rwhp
fubar-515rwhp
632C2-511rwhp

And all it took was a thousand bucks to make my car hit 135 through the traps. Ask Jason Heffner how you too can have this magic horsepower.