N00bie here with questions...

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Hello all, Happy Holidays to all. Some of you may recognize my screen name from the Viper forums where I am active but sold my Viper. Most of you don't know me from a hole in the wall but I hope to change that. I am an avid road racer and have had Podiums in the Viperdays Nationals and the FGT looks like a good track/street car. I would like your opinions on 2 FGTs I am considering.

A local collector 2005 Red w/white stripes with 32 miles and all 4 options for $150K.

And a new dealer 2006 red w/white stripes with 67 miles all 4 options for $159K.

I will probably do the pulley, pipes, ignition ect. Anybody know anyone in SoCal that does this? As far as road racing what kinds of upgrades are recommended. I'm fairly new to this car but quite a few of my Viper buddies have upgraded to the FGT and did everything from pulleys to turbos. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanx, Ron

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ron,
Either car looks good. I'd say tolerances and gaps etc may be marginally tighter on the 06's, but a good day 05 is still better than a bad day 06 on any handbuilt car. If the 06 looks good, you could probably get it pretty close to the 05 price if you hammer them.

Upgrades - 2.7" pulley, tune and exhaust will take the car from a 125-127mph quarter miles car to a 134-136mph car. Easy to steer the car with the wheel or the throttle post-pulley. Racing = must get a trans cooler, and you can get bigger brakes, oil breather...Hoosier makes a road race tire already.

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Ron,
Either car looks good. I'd say tolerances and gaps etc may be marginally tighter on the 06's, but a good day 05 is still better than a bad day 06 on any handbuilt car. If the 06 looks good, you could probably get it pretty close to the 05 price if you hammer them.

Upgrades - 2.7" pulley, tune and exhaust will take the car from a 125-127mph quarter miles car to a 134-136mph car. Easy to steer the car with the wheel or the throttle post-pulley. Racing = must get a trans cooler, and you can get bigger brakes, oil breather...Hoosier makes a road race tire already.

Haha, running into old friends already, thanks for the info :cheers

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Welcome to a great site. Not trying to be rude just helpful.The search feature on this site is very helpful for doing research on your own. I've found it for helpful to do that and take some notes and that ask some specific questions about various set ups. There are lots of options my friend. We'll hope to see you here as an owner !!!

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's my job as resident internet Ford GT guy...:lol

Haha, running into old friends already, thanks for the info :cheers

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Welcome Ron!
If you plan to keep it a while, I say the 06, because you would be the first owner. As Dave said, you can probably get a better price, but in So Cal, it's hard.
Muscle Motorsports is in So Cal, and they are used by many guys here.:thumbsup
There's a wealth of info here, and a lot of great guys. Looking forward to seeing your new car!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've got an '05 and an '06 and there's not a nickels worth of difference between them. Since you're going to modify it anyway, buy the one you can get the best deal on. $9000 will buy a lot of mods.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The way things are going, you're going to have to buy both of them if you want to fit in around here. The single GT guys are quickly becoming the minority.:willy

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Welcome aboard; I am familiar with your moniker and look forward to your contributions to this forum.

Given $9 large difference, I'd go for the new car. You'll have a A title and the car's experiences and treatment (good and bad) will be 100% yours.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Ron, go for the newer one - the '06. An '06 will be a tighter car. Drive it for 5k miles first. Get all the kinks out of it - then MOD!

I love the car but under warranty have had the oil pump changed, the half shaft bolts and the "main seal":eek Now I'm ready to cross the line..... and the car runs great now.

What is probably more important than the year is the service department where you plan to take the car- I've been fortunate - many have not.....

Have fun, good luck.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Look at delivery date of the 05. If it is really recent, may be OK. For the dollar difference, I'd go new so as to have a full 3 year warranty.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome! I would buy the 05 unless you could push down the price of the '06.
I would also check out Acufab who is a top tuner of the Modular motors. Contact the GT GUYS for shock upgrades, rollbars, lowering kits.

red rocker

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
nashville tennessee
First of all, this is my first post on the board. I have owned vipers since 1994, 8 in all. I have also ran viper days many times. Sold my viper and purchased my 2006 GT 3 months ago and absolutely -Love it-crazy about it-can't get enough of it. One awesome vehicle. I still miss my viper (only a little) and plan on buying a new coupe with the 600+ hp next year. BUY THE CAR!!!!
Norm

M

Mark O

Hello all, Happy Holidays to all. Some of you may recognize my screen name from the Viper forums where I am active but sold my Viper. Most of you don't know me from a hole in the wall but I hope to change that.
Thanx, Ron

The jig is up Ron.

7653.jpg

:biggrin

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Look at delivery date of the 05. If it is really recent, may be OK. For the dollar difference, I'd go new so as to have a full 3 year warranty.

I though ford switched to a 5 year warrany??

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The jig is up Ron.

7653.jpg

first time I have seen Ron with a shirt on... welcome Ron :thumbsup

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
The jig is up Ron.

7653.jpg

Oh MarkO, you didn't :lol

Am I gonna have to spend a year here now explaining I'm not RJ :frown

Nice purchase Mark, the piggy bank needs to be fed, more thenanything it was yours and Krazy's buying a GT that gave me the push I needed.

Last edited:

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.

Shouldn't this post be under what you do for a living tread?
And Ron post pictures lots of pictures:banana :banana :banana

M

Mark O

Am I gonna have to spend a year here now explaining I'm not RJ :frown

Big Carrot sent me your picture & bet me $20.00 that I wouldn't post it. :biggrin

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Big Carrot sent me your picture & bet me $20.00 that I wouldn't post it. :biggrin

BC must not of gotten my mistletoe belt buckle yet :lol