Maintenance issues - Any ideas?

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Apparently Vintage Air offers tech support if someone is having trouble installing one of their systems. Otherwise, they don't want to hear about problems.

(I sent an e-mail a week ago and have had no reply. Also, the phone answering machine advises the caller to furnish all of the purchase information relating to a new installation and they will call back.)

Does anyone know a Vintage Air employee that might be willing to help?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Does anyone know a Vintage Air employee that might be willing to help?

Try to contact Rick Love @ 210-654-7171.

Been quite a while since I have talked to him, don't know if he is still there or not, but worth a try.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Try to contact Rick Love @ 210-654-7171.

Been quite a while since I have talked to him, don't know if he is still there or not, but worth a try.

Thanks, Spirit. I'll try him on Monday.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Maybe Tuesday....

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Just 2 cents here. I am in Texas and HAVE to have cold a/c. No a/c problems yet, but please remember freon is cheap (about $4.00 per can) and 2 cans with make it work great no matter how low. So bearing that in mind and being out of warranty, I would refill every 3 mos (8 cans per yr =$32.00). You can do it yourself easily. Much less expensive than being a guinea pig for a possible evap. Shadowman is right...dash removal and quite costly. If it is an evap, it would have to be leaking down weekly for me to consider it. Most likely the problem will slowly get worse and you can get an easier, more accurate diagnosis with a bad leak. Kendall's suggestion of wrapping/slighly bending the lines up front to protect them is great preventive maintenance. Looks like a great place for a "rub through" over time.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Nardo, thanks for the suggestion. I think doing my own recharges until the leak can be positively identified sounds like a great idea. I'm going to find out how to do it (anybody know offhand?) and buy a couple of cans of refrigerant.

I agree with Kendall that I would probably have better luck talking to people at Vintage Air on the day AFTER Memorial Day.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Nardo, thanks for the suggestion. I think doing my own recharges until the leak can be positively identified sounds like a great idea. I'm going to find out how to do it (anybody know offhand?) and buy a couple of cans of refrigerant.

I agree with Kendall that I would probably have better luck talking to people at Vintage Air on the day AFTER Memorial Day.

You may want to invest in a vacuum pump and charging manifold, makes charging and diagnosing a little easier and complete.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
This is a good suggestion, assuming you never opened the system you can recharge (or top off) the refrigerent without using a vacuum pump. I would be a good backup to carry and use to and from the Rally.

Of course you use the proper equipement have EPA certification . :biggrin

http://www.harborfreight.com/a-c-manifold-gauge-set-92649.html

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
You can get a refill hose at WalMart for about $10.
You can tell when it starts cooling less just add a can. A case of 134 freon (12cans) is about $50.00 at Sams club. WalMart sells individual cans $5-$6.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Thanks Nardo and Black Ice. I fell like I can manage the problem now.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
After the third try, my dealer has diagnosed my a/c leak as coming from the evaporator. (It began putting out considerably less cold air after about 600 miles/3 months.) Following Nardo GT's and BlackICE's advice, I plan to wait until at least after Rally V to plunge into a $6,000+ repair. I will be topping off the system as necessary on the road (after I figure out how to do it) with a refill hose and a can or two of freon.

Anybody else have more ideas?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
After the third try, my dealer has diagnosed my a/c leak as coming from the evaporator. (It began putting out considerably less cold air after about 600 miles/3 months.) Following Nardo GT's and BlackICE's advice, I plan to wait until at least after Rally V to plunge into a $6,000+ repair. I will be topping off the system as necessary on the road (after I figure out how to do it) with a refill hose and a can or two of freon.

Anybody else have more ideas?

:confusedDidn't know the GT had A/C! (Just kidding).

Talk to Rich/Dennis at the Rally.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
:confusedDidn't know the GT had A/C! (Just kidding).

I know what you mean, Jeff. I didn't realize that GT's had heaters until the last Rally.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I know what you mean, Jeff. I didn't realize that GT's had heaters until the last Rally.

And like the wipers and defrosters - they work well.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I wouldn't spend $6K until it started leaking daily. Freon is cheap. Prolly wil leak the same driving as sitting... more of a time issue. I would ad a can every 3 mos. or whenever needed.... forever.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I wouldn't spend $6K until it started leaking daily. Freon is cheap. Prolly wil leak the same driving as sitting... more of a time issue. I would ad a can every 3 mos. or whenever needed.... forever.

You have a point there. However the eco police would disagree. BTW it is R134 nowadays, not Freon.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
You have a point there. However the eco police would disagree. BTW it is R134 nowadays, not Freon.
Actually Ice, I think the correct terminolgy is "refrigerant". And screw those treehugging, greenies.