Maintenance issues - Any ideas?

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
I took my '05 GT to the local Ford dealer for a couple of problems and they were unable to diagnose the causes;

1. The a/c had gradually stopped putting out cold air over about a two to four -week period. The dealer said that the charge was low and they refilled it, including the dye, but were unable to spot a leak anywhere. They want me to drive it for 500 miles or so and bring it back in for a no-cost re-inspection.

2. I had the hand brake adjusted about a month ago because I was able to pull it to the stop without a great deal of effort. Now, after driving about a hundred miles or so, I am again able to pull it to the stop. The dealer thinks the problem may in a caliper. Same advice: drive it a while and bring it back for no-cost re-inspection.

I have gotten very good service from the dealer for almost 5 years and the same mechanic worked on it that has done all of my work before, including installing an Accufab exhaust and pulley.

Does anyone have any ideas about what may be wrong or how to go about pinning down the problems? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As to the A/C: I'm betting you most likely have an O-ring seal or two in the system that have developed cracks. 'Either that, or a hose/fitting has come loose or developed a crack. ('Compressor, etc., leaking at THIS EARLY point in time wouldn't seem too likely.)

I can't understand how the dye hasn't shown up anywhere though.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Why isn't a halon leak detector being used? :confused

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Why isn't a halon leak detector being used? :confused

I don't understand. Is halon the refrigerant?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Yes. probably HFC 134

Something like this tool.

HBF-TP9360.jpg

http://www.etoolcart.com/pro-alertand153portablerefrigerantleakdetectorhbf-tp9360.aspx

I am not recommending this one, never used it. It was just the 1st one a search found.

Aug 25, 2006

Most leak detectors used for A/C also work for Halon; it is my best guess that BlackICE was just wondering why a more state of the art detection system is not used.

Takes care

Shadowman

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Most leak detectors used for A/C also work for Halon; it is my best guess that BlackICE was just wondering why a more state of the art detection system is not used.

Thanks BlackIce and Shadowman. I'll ask the dealer.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have my own suggestion on where to look for a leak. Below are pics from a car we have in the shop this week for routine maintenance/inspection. The AC lines in the area depicted should be a normal part of routine inspection, IMO.

To get to this area, you need to first remove the front diffuser and then the black metal cross plate. On the passenger side, you will see the two AC lines pass over this aluminum member. Me belief is that the lines sag over time with their weight and vibration. Eventually they will rest/rub on this sharp edge. To fix, we bend them up slightly to eliminate the contact and then cover them with a section of hose to prevent any further contact.

Attachments

• BadLine.jpg
    BadLine.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 678
  • FixLine.jpg
    FixLine.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 684

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Thanks, Kendall. I'll ask them to check the hoses in that area.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Oh my goodness!!! These are pictures of my gal withpout her clothes on

I have my own suggestion on where to look for a leak. Below are pics from a car we have in the shop this week for routine maintenance/inspection. The AC lines in the area depicted should be a normal part of routine inspection, IMO.

To get to this area, you need to first remove the front diffuser and then the black metal cross plate. On the passenger side, you will see the two AC lines pass over this aluminum member. Me belief is that the lines sag over time with their weight and vibration. Eventually they will rest/rub on this sharp edge. To fix, we bend them up slightly to eliminate the contact and then cover them with a section of hose to prevent any further contact.
OH MY GOODNESS!!! THESE ARE PICTURES OF MY GAL WITHOUT HER CLOTHES ON BEING SPREAD ALL OVER THE INTERNET...:willy:eek:willy:eek
Pretty sexy - wouldn't ya say?
I was having her checked out this week before we head out to the Mojave and Texas mile events and wanted Kendall to really give her a good look over. It sure is wonderful to have great people like Kendall - thanks Kendall.
Dave, hopefully this will solve your issue!

Dave I hope this leads to a solution for you.

Last edited:

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Thanks, Apollo.

Have fun.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Purchased my ’05 in July of ’08 with 1,200 miles from a guy in cool Wisconsin. Drove it home to hot Alabama, A/C did not work very well. I initially thought there was a leak, but after a re-charge, 2 years, and 8,000 miles it remains very cold. I discussed this with the previous owner, he mentioned that he count on one hand the times he used the A/C. Point being; if you don’t use it, you may lose it (freon that is).

Probably not the issue in Hawaii, but for those folks who live/drive in seasonal locales it may not be a bad idea to run the A/C a little every time you roll, even if it is chilly.

PS. Recommend checking/replacing the service ports valve cores, this is a common place for a leak & is sometimes overlooked because dye found there may be dismissed as resultant from the charge process (lesson learned from another vehicle). Aside from the compressor, it is the only other part in the closed system that moves.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Thanks, FENZO. I use the a/c almost every time I drive it. I will ask the mechanic to check the ports. That sound like a good possible solution.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
After 3 months and 800 miles my a/c was putting out noticeably less cold air so I returned my GT for a re-test of the system. I forwarded the suggestions provided here by several Forum members to the service rep. He told me that he and the mechanic reviewed them all and checked the appropriate items on the car - to no avail. They recharged the system twice and still were not able to find a problem - no detectable dye leaks. He said that they got a faint "whiff" with the gas sensor at "the evaporator coil behind the dash" (I think I am quoting him correctly) but it was not conclusive.

They again recharged the system, gave the car back to me (no cost) and said to bring it back in two weeks and they will try again.

I don't know if the rate of leakage is related to time only or miles driven with the a/c running or a combination of both. If it is time only, I can have the system recharged before I leave for the Rally, drive 5,000 miles to and from, and have plenty of time before it needs recharging again. If it is related to mileage I am screwed.

So, I am asking (begging) again for any ideas about what to do next. Has anyone had to replace their evaporator coil?

Aug 25, 2006
After 3 months and 800 miles my a/c was putting out noticeably less cold air so I returned my GT for a re-test of the system. I forwarded the suggestions provided here by several Forum members to the service rep. He told me that he and the mechanic reviewed them all and checked the appropriate items on the car - to no avail. They recharged the system twice and still were not able to find a problem - no detectable dye leaks. He said that they got a faint "whiff" with the gas sensor at "the evaporator coil behind the dash" (I think I am quoting him correctly) but it was not conclusive.

They again recharged the system, gave the car back to me (no cost) and said to bring it back in two weeks and they will try again.

I don't know if the rate of leakage is related to time only or miles driven with the a/c running or a combination of both. If it is time only, I can have the system recharged before I leave for the Rally, drive 5,000 miles to and from, and have plenty of time before it needs recharging again. If it is related to mileage I am screwed.

So, I am asking (begging) again for any ideas about what to do next. Has anyone had to replace their evaporator coil?

Hi Dave

I will not speculate on the issue however if the evap needs to be replaced the dash must be removed as it mounted to the dash and then installed as an assembly.

Takes care

Shadowman

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Hi Dave

I will not speculate on the issue however if the evap needs to be replaced the dash must be removed as it mounted to the dash and then installed as an assembly.

Takes care

Shadowman

Thanks for the info, Shadowman. Its not exactly good news but I'd rather hear it from you than from the dealer.

DataDale

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2007
Dearborn Hgts.
Have any of you guys contacted Vintage Air. To see if they have any history on these issuses. Or reccomendations for the system with the useage patterns you guys have.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dale, A/C hasn't seemed to be that much of a problem compared to others.

Aug 25, 2006
Dale, A/C hasn't seemed to be that much of a problem compared to others.

Agreed; very minor

Shadowman

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Have any of you guys contacted Vintage Air. To see if they have any history on these issuses. Or reccomendations for the system with the useage patterns you guys have.

Good idea, DD. I just sent an e-mail to their tech support.