Looking for power steering hose 05/06 GT

Zefpashko

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 26, 2017
Miami, FL
Checking in with @B.M.F. or any other member who has a lead on an OEM or upgraded power steering hose. Car’s been in the shop about a month waiting on one 😢

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Boy, at point I would make one

Reactions: white out

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
@Zefpashko I believe the GT Garage (thegtgaragellc@gmail.com) is now using a pipe in place of the hose.

Reactions: Zefpashko

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
@Zefpashko I believe the GT Garage (thegtgaragellc@gmail.com) is now using a pipe in place of the hose.
This is correct. I’ll get a photo of mine this weekend for you. Contact Rich, he has the solution.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Straight hose from NAPA with a wrap up to frame clampIMG_20240526_105154416~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240526_105142733~2.jpg
    IMG_20240526_105142733~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17

Zefpashko

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 26, 2017
Miami, FL
Thank you. I just emailed him.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We've been using a 2-piece design with both components power-steering rated hose. Perfect fitment.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
We've been using a 2-piece design with both components power-steering rated hose. Perfect fitment.

‘something you might be adding to your store?

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
IMG_5227.jpegIMG_5230.jpeg

Zefpashko

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 26, 2017
Miami, FL
Thanks so much for the photos! Still waiting to hear back from Rich to see if he can send me the parts.

Kendall, if you have another option that may be faster, I’d be happy to look into it!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kendall, if you have another option that may be faster, I’d be happy to look into it!
Sure. PM me your address. I can send one to you either today or at the latest, tomorrow.

Submoose - thanks to post pictures. I'd recommend that you change out that clamp when you have the opportunity. See how the slots in the clamp band are biting into the hose? Over time, that may be a failure point. You want to source that same style clamp but in s "extended tail" version. Essentially it is a clamp with an extra wrap of SMOOTH clamp squeezing against the hose in order to mitigate any damage to the hose.

This is an example of what the extended-tail clamp looks like. CLAMP

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
They are in our store now.

Next batch will be ready in about 2 weeks.

We have changed the clamp, since we did the Submoose car. These were our first ones. The new clamps are smooth edged. If you have worm style clamp we will be sending you the updated clamps. The worm style is perfectly fine and will work but the updated smooth edeged clamp is better.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
They are in our store now.

Next batch will be ready in about 2 weeks.

We have changed the clamp, since we did the Submoose car. These were our first ones. The new clamps are smooth edged. If you have worm style clamp we will be sending you the updated clamps. The worm style is perfectly fine and will work but the updated smooth edeged clamp is better.
Save one for my GTX1 please

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Good to know. My OE one is still holding up, but I'll keep it in mind.

Zefpashko

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 26, 2017
Miami, FL
Sure. PM me your address. I can send one to you either today or at the latest, tomorrow.

Submoose - thanks to post pictures. I'd recommend that you change out that clamp when you have the opportunity. See how the slots in the clamp band are biting into the hose? Over time, that may be a failure point. You want to source that same style clamp but in s "extended tail" version. Essentially it is a clamp with an extra wrap of SMOOTH clamp squeezing against the hose in order to mitigate any damage to the hose.

Thank you, Kendall. I heard back from Rich regarding the hardline option and have one on order, hopefully in stock in a couple weeks.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO

All good here, this was 2 weeks ago and clamp in route.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
something you might be adding to your store?
Yes, we'll have them available on the web page before the end of the week. As mentioned, we have been installing on local cars when needed. Nearly all of the GT's that we see will show signs of this stock line deteriorating (from the inside). Typical first symptoms is that the line becomes sticky/gooey. Eventually it becomes more and more porous and there may be some minor drips that develop. Keep in mind that this is a no-pressure return line. Replacement has only been elusive because of the quest to preserve OEM routing and avoidance of heat sources. This is why it is routed on the outside of the oil reservoir before ducking down to the power steering pump at the front passenger-side of the engine. Like the OEM solution that has lasted ~20 years, all that is needed is a 5/8" power-steering rated hose that can accommodate the unique routing. Our solution does exactly that. Pics and ordering within the next couple of days.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OK, so below you can see a couple of pictures of the replacement power steering line return hose. This is the hose that after almost 20 years exposed to power steering fluid, it is deteriorating from the inside out. Fortunately, the pressure line in our experience shows absolutely no signs of wear. This return line IS NOT rock science. This replacement hose can and should be routed the exact same way as the original line which means that there is no proximity to heat sources. You can see that our replacement hose is pretty much identical to the OEM hose which it replaces. We'd recommend doing this at your next oil change interval. Just remove the clamp at the pump and let the power steering fluid drain. After it is has drained, remove the clamp from the reservoir (up top on passenger side.) Then install this new line. You are welcome to use the OEM clamps but if you prefer a better hose clamp, we have included (2) stainless steel extended tail camps that will not bite into the hose. Frankly, as there is no pressure, not a lot of clamping force is needed.

Hose kit are available for shipping... we have a few on-hand but we can make more to keep up with demand.

Kits are $95 with the clamps and can be ordered HERE.

Below is a picture of the replacement hose followed by a picture of the replacement hose with an OEM hose so you can see that it is a near-exact replacement.

Hose.jpg

BothHoses.jpg

Reactions: GT@50

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
OK, so below you can see a couple of pictures of the replacement power steering line return hose. This is the hose that after almost 20 years exposed to power steering fluid, it is deteriorating from the inside out. Fortunately, the pressure line in our experience shows absolutely no signs of wear. This return line IS NOT rock science. This replacement hose can and should be routed the exact same way as the original line which means that there is no proximity to heat sources. You can see that our replacement hose is pretty much identical to the OEM hose which it replaces. We'd recommend doing this at your next oil change interval. Just remove the clamp at the pump and let the power steering fluid drain. After it is has drained, remove the clamp from the reservoir (up top on passenger side.) Then install this new line. You are welcome to use the OEM clamps but if you prefer a better hose clamp, we have included (2) stainless steel extended tail camps that will not bite into the hose. Frankly, as there is no pressure, not a lot of clamping force is needed.

Hose kit are available for shipping... we have a few on-hand but we can make more to keep up with demand.

Kits are $95 with the clamps and can be ordered HERE.

Below is a picture of the replacement hose followed by a picture of the replacement hose with an OEM hose so you can see that it is a near-exact replacement.

View attachment 70348

View attachment 70349
Kendal, so is this a different type of hose than the original that will not weep after time? I have already replaced mine with another one that was sold earlier on the forum as a replacement but unfortunately that one is weeping after only 2 years.