IMSA Balance of Performance Changes

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ok, now that you're done, you can come do my place tomorrow!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
This reminds me of western society in general. Such as...Every athlete gets a medal, if you participate you get a ribbon even for last place, don't allow playground games of "tag" anymore since it is too dangerous and you hurt the feelings of the fat , slow kids,....
Lowest grade a teacher can now give is a 61%. It is still failing, but lower grades demoralize the student....:(:(:(
We don't know how to work and win anymore.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
How about 10 lbs of dry ice in a vented container? I'm sure there's a rule there too (like the weight has to be there at the end of the race!).

Howard

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
How about 10 lbs of dry ice in a vented container? I'm sure there's a rule there too (like the weight has to be there at the end of the race!).

Howard

I have one word for that - Penske.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Or Smokey Yunick.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ok, now that you're done, you can come do my place tomorrow!

Today's program was a volunteer project for a (GT application process) decision maker at Ford. In return for my participation, I was promised a 2000 point improvement in my application score, and a commensurate 2000 scoring point decrease, that I could selectively apply to a person, or persons of my choosing. Now, I could really use someone's assistance to help get that salt residue off my GT from yesterdays drive. :biggrin:wink

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Just silly. Insulting to the fans as well. Apparently we will not watch or support unless everyone's car is equal. Fortune and luck fall on those that prepared the best. Let them race straight up.

Vince H

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
CobraR I will gladly help out, just here in Texas.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Just silly. Insulting to the fans as well. Apparently we will not watch or support unless everyone's car is equal. Fortune and luck fall on those that prepared the best. Let them race straight up.

Vince H

I get having different class specs and requirements but IMO make it be a production car, enforce safety regs, give a Max HP, minimum weight, and wheelbase requirement then let them race!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I get having different class specs and requirements but IMO make it be a production car, enforce safety regs, give a Max HP, minimum weight, and wheelbase requirement then let them race!

Totally agree,,,

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I've got no problem with the whole BOP thing. When you have all of the different cars, body sizes and motor configurations you have to do something. That's the whole idea of this class. to Create interest and competition between brands of road cars.
We are a little biased here but really Ford Is bringing in a " ringer " to that class .. I guess the GT showed a lot of Promise and they are getting penalized early before showing the real ability or placing high in the finishing order.

When I saw the GT next to the BMW M-6 on track the M-6 was a massive aero brick compared to the low slung sveltely GT. Sebring here we come.. Let's get the debugging done and get to Le Mans !!

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I agree, BOP is important to create competition. Anyone remember 1997 trans am season where tony Kendall won 11 races? As it was a Ford, didn't break my heart. But if it was a vette, I'd feel differently. Competition builds the fields, a manufacturer isn't going to allocate millions to run DFL

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I agree, BOP is important to create competition. Anyone remember 1997 trans am season where tony Kendall won 11 races? As it was a Ford, didn't break my heart. But if it was a vette, I'd feel differently. Competition builds the fields, a manufacturer isn't going to allocate millions to run DFL

I also remember 1988 when Audi came to Trans Am and absolutely killed the competition. But, I don't recall anyone doing anything about it until after the year end.

And as a Ford guy, it may have stung a bit, but you had to appreciate Audi bringing that thing into the series. Was it ever quick through the corners.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Disagree with most everything but "Ford bringing a ringer". Of course they are and the price Ford will pay for this shouldn't be on the track but in the market place. BMW, Corvette even P are targeting sales of thousand and thousands of units and is why they are bringing cars with areo packages of bricks but will seat the wife, hold golf clubs and a jump seat for in the back FiFi. Ford has designed a car that probably is closer in cockpit size to the original GT 40, my guess is it will be hard to see out of and probably wont be as comfy as a new Astin, M6 etc. They are hand building 200 units a year to sell and even at $400k probably wont be a money maker. What the 12th floor has signed off on is truly remarkable in this day and age and they shouldn't be penalized out of reaching their goal of trying to replicate 1966. IMO, follow the guidelines set forth by the sanctioning body before a season begins and then to quote the France family "Boys have at it". :cool

I'm old school, not everyone has "earned" a trophy.

Last edited:

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
I just recently got into the whole GTE racing series because of the new GT, but you can sure tell from some of the positive point in the daytona race that there's some definite advantages the GT will have. Like stormcat mentioned, that the frontal surface area and channeling aero had a huge impact on those high banks. Up until the very end when the vettes had set the lap record, the GT had it for almost the whole race. They never did get a chance to see how much the mpg will play a part to the vettes.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California

This summed my sentiment in a concise way. Thanks.

Vince H

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/imsa-sets-sebring-test-bop/

GT adds 10kg and gets a boost decrease
C7R adds 10kg and a 0.4 mm smaller air restrictor
911 RSR loses 10kg
M6 GTLM gets a boost increase

:bored
Easy fix: Just have the drivers lose 15kg! Let the racing begin!