Status
Not open for further replies.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Guys had a similar situstion this Saturday. Was posted originally under "help". Stormcat came to the rescue with the explanation.
I was on the dyno with the car. Tried a second pull, put it in gear and nothing happened. Revs went up but no wheels turning. Shut her down and inspected. The right rear axle has came out of the transaxle. Rolled her off the dyno up on to the hoist for a better look. Couldn't see anything. The 6 main bolts that you can see from the outside were all intact and in place. No noise, no broken bolts within sight but No Go.
The axle could be slipped in back and forth like butter. Obviously the axle would not stay in. Flat bedded to Polito Ford in Lindasy for repairs this week.
Seems the Canadian cars are now experiencing the same problem even though they were close to the end of the total production.
Got one dyno pull in. 530 rwhp and 475#s of torque- stock except for tranny cooler and rubber intake support.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Guys had a similar situstion this Saturday. Was posted originally under "help". Stormcat came to the rescue with the explanation.
I was on the dyno with the car. Tried a second pull, put it in gear and nothing happened. Revs went up but no wheels turning. Shut her down and inspected. The right rear axle has came out of the transaxle. Rolled her off the dyno up on to the hoist for a better look. Couldn't see anything. The 6 main bolts that you can see from the outside were all intact and in place. No noise, no broken bolts within sight but No Go.
The axle could be slipped in back and forth like butter. Obviously the axle would not stay in. Flat bedded to Polito Ford in Lindasy for repairs this week.
Seems the Canadian cars are now experiencing the same problem even though they were close to the end of the total production.
Got one dyno pull in. 530 rwhp and 475#s of torque- stock except for tranny cooler and rubber intake support.

It was pointed out somewhere in this thread that the "lateness" of production makes no diff, '06, as there evidently were TWO batches of bolts - one "good", one "bad" - that were all dumped into the same bin B4 the pblm was discovered. Therefore, it was a matter of random chance which bolts any particular car got.

Half Shaft Advice

I have only had my 2005 GT for 3 weeks. I just read every post about the half-shaft problems. My car is Vin#0374 with only 2,300 miles on it. I am going in to Galpin Ford to get warranty work done on a recurring "Secondary Fuel Pump Off-Line" code problem. I would also like to have the Acufab bolts installed as a precaution. Is the dealer able to get the Accufab kit? If not, what is the best way to get the kit in a hurry?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Call Galpin and ask, if not, Accufab can ship same day and is in Socal.
Did you register on AwsumGT's California registry?
Welcome to the fold.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
The bolts have been fixed. Accufab all the way!!! :thumbsup The mechanic had a hell of a time getting the sheared bolts out of the car. Both sides were broken even though at first it looked like only one side was toast. He also advised me that this car had the so called newer bolts from Ford supposedly installed on the later productoion cars.
Guys I had been waiting for the fix hoping it wouldn't happen to me. :ack
No such luck. As many have experienced and said here-- Do not screw around just get them changed asap.:thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
GT374

I have an extra Accufab kit that I could probably get to Galpin for you by tomorrow. Let me know. (My wife could drop them by on the way to work - I'm traveling this week.)

He also advised me that this car had the so called newer bolts from Ford supposedly installed on the later productoion cars.

The bolts are all the same. The later cars had a newer, hardened washer which is black and noticably different than the previous (softer) silver washers. Most likely, this is what he meant.

Last edited:

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I already had it happen to me. Had the Ford replacements put in, but just had the Acufabs put in. Much better than Fords fix forsure. I am hoping that will solve it. I think it will ARP bolts look much stronger than stock.

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
Hello GT374,

Jack at Muscle Motors installed the accufab bolts for me. I trust jack more than Galpin ford, I live two miles from Galpin.

Hello note4re,

I just got back and read your message. It is very nice of you to offer to have the bolts delivered to Galpin. I have an appointment at Galpin tomorrow, Wednesday at 10:00am. You probably will not get this message in time, but I just wanted to thank you, anyway for your offer. I got another post that recommended an install at Muscle Motors as a better option so, If I don't get it done at Galpin, I will take it to Muscle Motors. Thanks again Tim Howard Cell # 310-874-0648

Last edited:
Hi Edson:

Do you have an address or phone number for Muscle Motors? I will be at Galpin on Wednesday 10/3. If you call me on my cell (310) 874-0648 I can contact them before I return home. Thanks, Tim Howard GT374

Hi bony,

Let me know where to go to sign the registry and I wil be glad to. Thanks for the welcome, Tim Howard GT374

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
There is our general registry on this site, see controls above and then send an email with your info on the car and yourself to : JAD@BRENTWOODHOMES.COM
Welcome again!!

bob700

Jul 13, 2007
Letter From Ford?

Has any owner received the letter from Ford that was supposed to authorize the repair work to be done on the half shaft coming loose issue? I read somewhere on this site that those letters were to be sent out in the fall. With November approaching I was wondering if there had been some change in Ford's plans on this.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
No one has posted any updated info on the subject that I'm aware of myself.

But, it undoubtedly WILL be posted before too long.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
I'm curious how many of us have had the half shaft bolts replaced.
I for one have had the bolts replaced.

How many of us have?

----

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I will be moving this thread shortly to the half shaft thread.
Pls move discussion to that thread.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Half shaft bolt fix

Question. Should I allow the GT guys to do the accufab bolt fix or take it back to a dealer?????

Thanks.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I don't think Ford has released their newest fix so you may have to wait awhile. The Accufab bolt kits are first rate and the outer six bolts are reusable with the Accufab kit. The GT guys are first rate. I'm not sure about your dealer , you'll have to make that call...

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Evan -

Have the GT Guys do the axle-bolt fix with the Accufab kit - nobody knows when Ford will have their upgraded kit ready - the peace of mind will be worth it.

BTW, mod that baby up the way you'd like - they built 4,000 of these things - let somebody else save the bone stockers for the future. Fix it up the way you'd like, and enjoy it while you can!

regards,

Jeff

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
BTW, mod that baby up the way you'd like - they built 4,000 of these things - let somebody else save the bone stockers for the future. Fix it up the way you'd like, and enjoy it while you can!

regards,

Jeff

+1

:thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.