gt smog legal in ca?

jamoffroad

Oct 25, 2008
having trouble smogging my gt . reset computer back to stock setting but will not reset to pass smog. the tech said he has had trouble with every gt hes seen they never pass pre test? any help?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Every GT sold from an out of state dealer had to pass a smog test, I passed without an issue. Where are you located, what mods have been done? Do you have cats? I assume your an owner? Please clarify.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
having trouble smogging my gt . reset computer back to stock setting but will not reset to pass smog. the tech said he has had trouble with every gt hes seen they never pass pre test? any help?

When I 1st imported the car into CA, I had to pass the most stringent smog test in the country, with the rollers. It passed without any issues. What exactly is failing on your car?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
the tech said he has had trouble with every gt hes seen they never pass pre test?

Strange. Our collective knowledge is that the GT is not prone to smog failures. As BONY says, let us know what mods you had/have and we can for sure help you to sort out. Assuming you're an owner, welcome aboard. This is a great place to hang out with a lot of people who are always willing to help.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Maybe not enough mileage has accumulated after the reset to be in the "test ready" mode. Need about 40 miles, I think. I have failed in other cars for my impatience, only to subsequently pass after the appropriate mileage.

Howard

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Passed when new, haven't had to go back yet.

tcm668

Oct 10, 2006
Either the dealer will have to do a full reset on the computer to fully clear the codes, or you'll have to complete a ODBII drive cycle.

It is a royal pain in the real to do, so taking it to the dealer may be the easiest.

Click here for the complete Ford ODBII drive cycle......

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

-------

If you are our of parameters on the drive cycle by only a few points, it will not reset properly...... It took me 2 weeks of trying to get mine cleared on my Cobra R.... I It was fun trying, but quite a hassle....

Good Luck....

fordgtforsale.com

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2007
Just drive it 20-30 miles and you should be good to go. We have smogged lots of GTs and if a battery went dead, we had to do this procedure. We just take it on the highway and cruise for a little bit and then come back. Another excuse to drive the GT!!

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Just drive it 20-30 miles and you should be good to go. We have smogged lots of GTs and if a battery went dead, we had to do this procedure. We just take it on the highway and cruise for a little bit and then come back. Another excuse to drive the GT!!

When my car was new, we had to drive it over 70 miles to get the thing to pass the smog. We kept driving it 5-10 miles at a time and it kept failing, then took in on a 50 mile straight ride at constant highway speeds, then it passed easily.