GT hit with major BoP adjustment by IMSA

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Remember that the 7 liter V8 was banned after the Gurney/Foyt win in 1967. Unlike 1968 when an entire, essential component of the GT40 was banned, race organizers will simply choke the new GT via weight increases, boost reduction, etc. until they are satisfied there is sufficient parity. So no, the GT won't be banned.

Ford has already established the racing reputation of the new GT. Poor finishes going forward will probably be perceived by the public as the result of punitive BoP adjustments. It's a win-win for Ford.

I think you are right on point here. :thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As Dave points out, its all about the balancing act, of Costs. If there was no threat of the BoP, costs could run out of control for the manufacturer that wanted to "win" that year, and the others would run from the series. With the BoP there is effort to have parity. To have this many manufactures involved, is great for the sport. And BTW, the M6 shares little with the street version, and in early press releases, is is stated to weigh less than 1300Kg which is 2866 lbs. It aint no GT, but isnt the turd we make it out to be.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
I'm just guessing but is it possible for the teams to compensate by sandbagging races just to get control over which races they really want? Like the 24h races hold most value for PR and points.

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
^absolutely

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
I also wonder if Corvette might see a redesign in the near future based on the DP, inboards, CF cockpit, mid engine.

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Ford drivers will just push a little harder on the long pedal next time

Mar 15, 2006
We all knew that this was coming.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Corvette corral was sold out.

I'm very happy to hear that so many Corvette owners were there to bear witness to Ford GT domination. :lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
This thread has served to stir up the competition and awaken a couple of Motorsport giants.

First the new Porsche "ACOspecialwaiver" edition and then a subsequent response from BMW to criticism about their car being bloated; their answer founded in in form of their heritage: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/classic/listen-these-bmw-m1-procars

Just a mid-engine Corvette away from a BoP meltdown. Breakout the red wine, were gonna' need a full case or two. ;-))

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I'm very happy to hear that so many Corvette owners were there to bear witness to Ford GT domination. :lol

A loyal bunch they are too. Last Saturday at our Cars & Coffee, Mark Reuss brought his '63 Corvette split window, but wouldn't park near my GT, and wouldn't look me in the eye. But he did mention about being constrained in power (BoP) as a rationalization for their showing in France. It's going to be in an interesting summer.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A loyal bunch they are too. Last Saturday at our Cars & Coffee, Mark Reuss brought his '63 Corvette split window, but wouldn't park near my GT, and wouldn't look me in the eye. But he did mention about being constrained in power (BoP) as a rationalization for their showing in France. It's going to be in an interesting summer.

I understand the frustration, but as a Ford guy I'm not very sympathetic. The GT is in a small group of limited production cars which were homologated specifically to race. As built, it's objectively superior to any of the other cars in the class. It tough to compete against a car like that when race organizers are still trying to understand the full capabilities of the car.

Ford did an admirable thing by commiting to four years of factory support for the race program. The GT has essentially started at the top of the mountain. Commiting to a four year program, with all of the expected BoP adjustments down the road, shows that Ford wasn't merely interested in savaging the field and getting out.

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I pretty much concur. You never know, but depending on how punitive future adjustments are, we could look back on this time as the halcyon days of the program. Plus you'll have a new 911 supposedly sporting turbos and a mid-engine layout, a mid-engine Vette, etc. Things get harder, not easier.

That said, the GT is always going to have unmatched aerodynamic efficiency, it's always going to be easier on tires, and by all accounts it's always going to be one of the most stress-free, pleasing cars to be behind the wheel of. And eventually you'll hear about some of the unique chassis elements that make the car so well suited to the track that competitors are unlikely to ever counter. So I'm pretty hopeful the entirety of the run is going to be a good one.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I would love to be a fly on the wall at IMSA and the FIA when the topic of the GT comes up. I understand that many competitors are apoplectic over the GT's performance.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
At this rate the street car will be faster than the race car::lol

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^ Entirely possible, in a straight line acceleration. Top end, no doubt, more gears, and can get wing out of the air (in addition to more power on street car).

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I understand the frustration, but as a Ford guy I'm not very sympathetic. The GT is in a small group of limited production cars which were homologated specifically to race.

I don't understand how the Corvette is even able to race in GTLM. It's not a "production" car as I understand since none of the "production" Corvettes are running a flatplane engine like the race car. Talk about breaking the rules.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The racing Corvettes use a cross plane crank.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Still not production.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
When is the next race?

EDIT: Just looked it up. Too bad I'll be out of the country for the Road America appearance!

Anyone have plans to attend Austin on 9/18? I'd love to go.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Rumor has it Rally XI will be in Austin during the COTA race, but nothing definite except the dates from DBK. Hope we know soon about hotel reservations, etc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk