Getting a PPF tmr. What cautions should Technician take?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Hi wonderful people of FGT forum.

I have my car ppf at a local shop and need to let the technician show gt specific features to prevent him from doing any wrongdoings.

I know a few

1. Dont open the door while gas lever/frunk lever is open

2. Do not lean on the panel since it will cause damage

3. Use correct lift points

What else should I let these guys know?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Clearplex the windshield too.

Reactions: drilling and PeteK

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yes, what Rob said. Do the windshield.

Reactions: drilling

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have had 2 different installers refuse to do a windshield for another vehicle of mine. Both cited a similar storyline about liability regarding distorted vision (which I barely notice in the FGT). kind of like there was a lawsuit and they have been warned by their insurance carrier.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I have had 2 different installers refuse to do a windshield for another vehicle of mine. Both cited a similar storyline about liability regarding distorted vision (which I barely notice in the FGT). kind of like there was a lawsuit and they have been warned by their insurance carrier.
I have been told this as recently as May 2023. The installer advised me not to, nobody is happy with the results after a year or two.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have had it on my FGT for a couple years now and tho not perfect, I am pretty happy with it.

I have a spare windshield but the thought of swapping them make living with the PPF imperfections totally doable for me.

Last edited:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
One year of ownership and 3 rock chips. Installed Clearplex and 4 years later I haven't had any more. There is one goofy spot in the plex but if you didn't know it you probably wouldn't notice. Visibility has not been altered.

Having had Clearplex on my windshield for at least 8 years, I can state categorically that it saved my windshield at least twice! I can strongly agree - have it done! Any visual imperfections are insignificant if the film is properly applied. As far as I know, windshields are no longer available from Ford, so any protection you can have is a good thing.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have windshield film on the NGT that I got from Stormcat. My PPF guy, who is excellent by the way, asked me what product it was because it was the best he had ever seen. He told me they have had no luck with any of the products on the market. I’m not sure what material Brian used, but it’s been perfect on my car since 2019.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It is Clearplex. Getting it for the NGT is easy. The older cars is very, very difficult. None of the window tint shops will stock it due to expense. A roll costs several thousand dollars.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think that someone organized group purchases of precut clearplex. Maybe a couple of times actually.

Maybe it's time to do another if someone has the ability (connections).

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have tried to no avail.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I had one on my daily. Protects small rock chips. Huge ones. No way.

MR. 5 MPG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 14, 2024
SoCal
I have Clearplex, as well as full PPF on my '06. My windshield took a hit from a smallish piece of gravel, on the freeway, and I thought for sure there'd be a nick, but nope. Money well spent!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ditto what the others have said. I've been using Clearplex for 5 years and it has saved many nicks, and probably a crack or two. I have to look really closely to see that it's there. It has held up to windshield wipers too,

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
I had the windshield done & like it,i also had 100 % of the car covered in PPF & they removed the side stripes & reapplied a new set on top of the PPF for a cleaner job & don't forget to make sure they do full paint correction on the whole car before the PPf install to remove all the fine scratches ,& then Ceramic coat the PPF even though the new PPf's have ceramic on them ,my car looks like glass the paint is so deep & shiny & flawless.

Reactions: drilling

JamesOlivas

Jul 24, 2024
Hi wonderful people of FGT forum.

I have my car ppf at a local shop and need to let the technician show gt specific features to prevent him from doing any wrongdoings.

I know a few

1. Dont open the door while gas lever/frunk lever is open

2. Do not lean on the panel since it will cause damage

3. Use correct lift points

What else should I let these guys know?
Any update?

Edit: Seems no

Last edited:

BasillioG

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2019
Phoenix
I had the windshield done & like it,i also had 100 % of the car covered in PPF & they removed the side stripes & reapplied a new set on top of the PPF for a cleaner job & don't forget to make sure they do full paint correction on the whole car before the PPf install to remove all the fine scratches ,& then Ceramic coat the PPF even though the new PPf's have ceramic on them ,my car looks like glass the paint is so deep & shiny & flawless.
Curious to know what the job set you back. I'm due for the same process with someone I trust and need to know how much I need to budget. -Thanks

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Curious to know what the job set you back. I'm due for the same process with someone I trust and need to know how much I need to budget. -Thanks
I paid 10k it was 8k for the PPF & 2k to the detail guy for the paint correction & ceramic coat .I did get a quote from one of the other top PPF SoCal shops & it was in the same range, of course we pay more for everything in SoCal so I'm sure there's better deals depending were your located .

Last edited:
Reactions: BasillioG

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Rich is doing my car after a complete repaint. I’m picking it up for Woodward and happy to share numbers once I have them.