Ford GT-esque Vehicles recommendation

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I am looking at some other cars now and wonder if experienced members here can share their wisdom.

I like basically a supercar from 90s to 00s with Manual Gearbox and Mid engine configuration and raw/fun driving experience.

I am thinking either Carrera GT or Jag XJR-15

Are there any other suggestions for vehicles that fit this criteria?

Tomcat

GT Owner
My 1991 NSX (supercharged) is a blast to drive.

Attachments

• Sharpe NSX C&C rain.jpg
    Sharpe NSX C&C rain.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Not mid engine but a Cobra will teach you more about performance driving than any other vehicle

Reactions: Stef

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
You can see I own a Diablo Roadster....I would sell the FGT before I part with it. Has everything you could want, convertible with a roaring V-12 inches from your head, gated manual transmission, solid rarity (less than 500 total units), insane road presence the FGT doesn't match. Has cachet as the first Lamborghini V-12 open top car, and the only non-Audi Roadster. And the closest Ferrari competitor? A $3.5M F50....

Having said that, if you can easily afford a CGT, do that....really the best thing out there meeting your criteria.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
A key detail is missing, what is the budget? With no budget, McLaren F1. If too spendy, F40. As for the CGT, there are at least 2 members here that I know of that has had one, perhaps they will chime in.

Reactions: drilling

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
2017 - 2020 Shelby GT350/R

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
A key detail is missing, what is the budget? With no budget, McLaren F1. If too spendy, F40. As for the CGT, there are at least 2 members here that I know of that has had one, perhaps they will chime in.
Lets say 1-2M

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I volunteer as a docent at the Brumos Collection in Jax (I am actually more like a security guard, pretty much make sure people don't touch the cars since they aren't roped off or anything.

One day when I had my 2006 Ford GT there, Don Leatherwood (long-time Brumos wrench/expert) saw it in the lot and came out to chat about it, and said he loved it and it was the closest thing out there to the Carrera GT due to time-frame and analog nature. Similar HP, engine configuration, etc. He told me I have too much air in my tires (I have the Bridgestones) and advised me to take 2 psi out. :) I listened. The have a beautiful silver CGT at the collection.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I volunteer as a docent at the Brumos Collection in Jax (I am actually more like a security guard, pretty much make sure people don't touch the cars since they aren't roped off or anything.

One day when I had my 2006 Ford GT there, Don Leatherwood (long-time Brumos wrench/expert) saw it in the lot and came out to chat about it, and said he loved it and it was the closest thing out there to the Carrera GT due to time-frame and analog nature. Similar HP, engine configuration, etc. He told me I have too much air in my tires (I have the Bridgestones) and advised me to take 2 psi out. :) I listened. The have a beautiful silver CGT at the collection.
What pressure did you take it down to? I generally put in 35 psi because it starts looking like a flat tire below that (or a Jeep Wrangler rock crawling).

Weird someone would say they (FGT, GT) they have a similar engine configuration….they couldn’t be much more dissimilar.

Well the CGT is well within the OP’s budget….probably not for much longer.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
CGT is about the only thing I can think of that has 3 pedals, and in the price range. Need more for an Enzo or F40. Under $1m Saleen S7 (even though I have not heard great things about how they drive)?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Anyone heard about Jaguar XJR-15?

Based on LM winning xjr-9 and has a v12 manual and race car interior. Under 1M.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I'd like a Maserati MC12, although it's not a manual. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_MC12
MC12._%285234528513%29.jpg

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I'd like a Maserati MC12, although it's not a manual. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_MC12
MC12._%285234528513%29.jpg
I love this car

Out of my price range. Someday 😂

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
What pressure did you take it down to? I generally put in 35 psi because it starts looking like a flat tire below that (or a Jeep Wrangler rock crawling).

Weird someone would say they (FGT, GT) they have a similar engine configuration….they couldn’t be much more dissimilar.

Well the CGT is well within the OP’s budget….probably not for much longer.
He suggested to lower the tire pressure to 30 or even 28 psi (I had it at 32 psi). I have the Bridgestones, BTW. When I said similar engine configuration, I meant mid engine vs front/rear. I guess that wasn't the correct terminology. BTW - the CGT does sound fabulous, but very different than the Ford GT of course.

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Back to OP, the Lambo Miura is awesome looking, but not sure of current pricing. There was a green one at Amelia a few years back. Wow!

Reactions: extrap

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Back to OP, the Lambo Miura is awesome looking, but not sure of current pricing. There was a green one at Amelia a few years back. Wow!
One sold over the weekend for like $1.6M plus fees…..which I thought was about $1M less than I remember. I would much rather have that than a F40 at half the price.

Still, the thought of buying a CGT would be such a holy grail car. If I sell both cars and clean out my 401k account I can just about get there. Sure the wife wouldn’t object…..right?

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
The Gen 1 Ford GT really is a unique driving experience. If you want a few cars to mix it up, here are some that I have in the mix.

1. GT2 RS - Amazing 'supercar' power and handling
  2. SuperFormance GT40 MK2 with 427ci - Pure raw driving experience. The sounds and feel of this car are incredible, every time I get out of the car, I shaking :ROFLMAO:
  3. get a classic - 67' Shelby GT500 Mustang by Hi-Tech Legends - supercharged coyote ( 780hp), independent suspension, etc. Nothing like cruising in a cool classic that handles like a modern day performance car.
407673C3-AFA9-478C-9768-0A6DDC66614D_1_105_c.jpeg15EE615D-B7B8-4D3D-A042-CCE7273AF8B5_1_105_c.jpeg39573659-B8DD-4473-B3EE-F106621ADA0A_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Pat Milliken Ford

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I have a 991.2 GT2RS. It is amazing on track and off....but it doesn't have the universal appeal of a FGT and it's not a cruiser like the FGT. If anyone wants a ride I'll be at COTA in late Sept and Nov🤟
1724168879409.png

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
A real GT40 without HVAC … no thanks.

Hydra GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
How about A Bugatti EB110 or a Spyker C8 :)