Ford Gt barn find

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Yea seems reckless to let it run like that but amazing that it had no cell lights

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
To keep running it, when it is obvious there are issues, is just looking for more problems. Poor car, hopefully it lands in more competent hands soon.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Flood Damaged imo.

Reactions: analogdesigner

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
🤦‍♂️ why would u try to start a car (no less a valuable one) that has been sitting 15 years without checking any fluids, draining the fuel or doing any kind of preemptive due diligence is beyond me.I am amazed it started.
But how would you do that in a small garage like that? Isnt it better to fill it up witj fresh fuel mixed with Stabil and hope for the best? Them transport it to the nearest mechanic?

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
But how would you do that in a small garage like that? Isnt it better to fill it up witj fresh fuel mixed with Stabil and hope for the best? Them transport it to the nearest mechanic?
You would properly inflate the tires, and then tow it out of the garage and to a shop to flush the old fuel and other maintenance before attempting to start.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I would've showed up with a tire inflator and a tow hook, in case the OEM hook was missing, and towed it out and away. Never would've started it. And apparently the hook was missing based on where the tow guy attached 😱

Reactions: MR. 5 MPG

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I would've showed up with a tire inflator and a tow hook, in case the OEM hook was missing, and towed it out and away. Never would've started it. And apparently the hook was missing based on where the tow guy attached 😱
My car sat for a year. Just added 7 gallons of fresh fuel with Stabil. Can I start it?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yep. You didn't say how much old fuel was in it but you should use up the tank as soon as you can. But with the GT's mileage that won't be too long :)

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
My car sat for a year. Just added 7 gallons of fresh fuel with Stabil. Can I start it?
1 year? ... Yeah, I'd start it and drive ... well, after checking all fluids and filters.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
YES. Don't get wigged out about it. But as twobjshelbys said, use it up and replace with fresh. I would also add a bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate to the new tank of fuel.

What the hell are you doing letting your car sit for a year? If you were married to a supermodel (maybe you are), would you let her sit for a year?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Might want to stay out of heavy boost out of abundance of caution until you have emptied the tank.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow! Crazy story. Gross petri dish interior!

Ed

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Yep. You didn't say how much old fuel was in it but you should use up the tank as soon as you can. But with the GT's mileage that won't be too long :)
Hey, at one point, my '06 Ford GT had the highest EPA rating of the vehicles in my garage. 21 mpg Highway was a solid number!

MR. 5 MPG

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2024
SoCal
SYCO GT: You ought to get a personalized license plate "21 MPG." That'd drive the greenies mad.