Fatal OC Ferrari Wreck

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Curiously, there is no mention of Lewis's condition prior to his demise....:frown

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Curiously, there is no mention of Lewis's condition prior to his demise....:frown

There isn't much point in defaming the deceased, is there?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Such an awful tragedy...that guy must have been really gassed as that street is a good four lanes wide. Only way to make contact with a car at that time in the morning is to be totally off your rocker. :willy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ralphie,
From what I have learned Lewis did not smoke or drink...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
very sad:frown RIP

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Ralphie,
From what I have learned Lewis did not smoke or drink...

Long thread on Ferrarichat. Exactly as Bony says. One of "Mask's" buddies posted on the the F-car forum that Lewis was a tea-totaler.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Long thread on Ferrarichat. Exactly as Bony says. One of "Mask's" buddies posted on the the F-car forum that Lewis was a tea-totaler.

So often when a drunk is involved in a crash (as in darn near everytime), HE 's the one who always seems to walk away and someone like Lewis often pays the ultimate price. 'Sure makes one wonder sometimes...:frown

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
A drunk woman plowed into a Cavalier full of teenagers stopped at a stoplight a few miles from my house last night. She killed all 4 kids in the car and, of course, had non-life threatening injuries herself.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
All terrible news.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I wonder if the occupants of both cars (Ferrari and Porsche) knew each other. It's tempting to get the "red mist" even if you're sober, when someone rolls up on you and wants to race.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I wonder if the occupants of both cars (Ferrari and Porsche) knew each other. It's tempting to get the "red mist" even if you're sober, when someone rolls up on you and wants to race.

I had a "proposal" made in that vein at a red light. 'Some kid in an older Mustang (WHY does that always seem to be the case?) thought he had a world beater.

I pointed out to him that the inject. nozzles on my GT were larger than his tail pipes...so why did he think the outcome of his proposed contest would be in even the slightest bit of doubt?

He jetted away from the light...and I just left the light like the old man I am...and the LEO I'd already spotted 2 blocks up the street before all this started pulled the kid over!

(I am a truely rotten person...:devil)

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I'm not trying to steal this thread, but I saw something yesterday that provides some input as to how out of whack things are in the legal system.
In late January, my 16 yr old son hit a truck at an intersection when he couldn't stop due to weather conditions. Although all the other driver's at the intersection could see my son couldn't stop, and no one entered the intersection on the green light, the fellow my son hit DROVE AROUND THE CAR IN FRONT OF HIM IN HIS LANE, entered the intersection (on the green though) and my son (barely) hit him, with practically no damage done to the truck (substantial cosmetic to son's '08 Mariner, but no air bag deployment, hence not much of an impact). My son was ticketed for failure to stop, BUT the other driver was arrested for no license, no registration, and no insurance.
Here's where it gets interesting. When we went to court, the other driver pled guilty to the charges of no lic, reg, ins, was assessed a fine of roughly $600, requested 4 MONTHS to pay, was found guilty and released. PROBLEM WAS SINCE HE PLED GUILTY, WE COULDN'T ASK ANY Q's ABOUT HOW HE GOT THERE. The DUMB$H!T drove himself to and from the court w/o a license after bering arrested for such.
Furthermore, in watching the other cases (over 2 1/2 hrs worth) 90% of the cases involved DUI or driving w/o lic,reg,ins. Most of this crowd, like the fellow in my son's case spoke no English, needed an interpreter, and were released even if they couldn't pay the fine presently as long as they didn't have any outstanding issues with the court. Some were not released, especially the repeat DUI types, but a number of those didn't show for their cases because they were repeat violators.
My son got supervision, and related court costs, but no points, etc. so we're none the worse for wear other than some $$. Still, the whole experience is enlightening. Most of the cases involve people who can't read the signs on the road(s), but they're driving everything from economy cars to large dump trucks, and some of them are half in the bag while doing it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
djs, welcome to America!

If I were to go 150 mph on the highway and get caught, I would have my car impounded, I would be brought to the county jail, finger printed and given one phone call. If a person whom didn't speak English, didn't have a driver's license, nor registration, nor insurance did the same thing, he would be allowed to just drive off maybe with a ticket that would never get paid.

I call the fair and just, don't you? I would say more but Bony would ban me!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
djs, welcome to America!

If I were to go 150 mph on the highway and get caught, I would have my car impounded, I would be brought to the county jail, finger printed and given one phone call. If a person whom didn't speak English, didn't have a driver's license, nor registration, nor insurance did the same thing, he would be allowed to just drive off maybe with a ticket that would never get paid.

I call the fair and just, don't you? I would say more but Bony would ban me!

the reason why you would get arrested, finger printed, and given one phone call is because they know you can pay!!!!!!!! the other probably not
I'll shut up now

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
the reason why you would get arrested, finger printed, and given one phone call is because they know you can pay!!!!!!!! the other probably not
I'll shut up now

Law enforcement and taxes seem to have one thing in common, the ability to pay!

H

HHGT

Back in 2005 I bought my wife a new Jaquar XJ8L. It was her pride and joy and with barely 800 miles on her, a drunken south of the border senorita plowed into my wife's car, impacting my oldest son's rear door who was 9 at the time and in the process taking out 5 other cars. She also sent the occupants of two other cars to the hospital, one of which was a pregnant woman in her last trimester. She wobbled out of the car, pants unzipped, speaking in Mexican apologizing profusely.

I checked on my son Matt who was mostly shook up and quickly pulled the family to the sidewalk out of harms way - Nick was 6 years old. I then noticed she was gunning for her car to take off and I ran past her, reached in to the steering column and pulled the keys out and stuck them in my pocket and dashed back to the family. Lovely Magdalena run up to me and asked for her keys back and I told to wait until the Sheriff showed up. Completely unprovoked, all I saw was a fist flying towards me and landed a sucker punch on my jaw. In a moment of anger my fist was flying back inches from her face, my wife screams don't - I pulled back reluctantly.

Our local Sheriff came to the scene, a latino man himself. He came over and asked me for my statement, I gave it to him and then asked if our Senorita was licensed and if the car was registered and insured and he explained that she was an undocumented worker and had non of the above. From the back seat of the cruiser she yells at the cop that I had her keys, I explained the situation. Now mind you, both my sons are crying, ambulances and medics all over and this asshole lectures me on taking her keys was wrong and illegal. My simple reply was; I think you should thank me for not allowing her to leave the seen and possibly kill someone else. Lets just say the man was furious with me. I asked the other office what he will be doing with our State Dependent and he told me that she will spend the night in jail and will be released the next morning with a notice to appear. I scratched my head and said; she has no ID, how do you know who to write the notice to? He said we don't.

A quick phone call to an attorney friend and he advised me to go back to the officer and request that she be arrested for assault. Lets say by now the officer was not happy because now he had to book her until she appeared in front of a judge - this was on Friday night and Monday was a holiday - a small satisfaction.

Eventually she was let go to drink and possibly injure others. What did I learn? I still hate Drunks and in my next life I want to come back as a Border Patrol agent.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
A quick phone call to an attorney friend and he advised me to go back to the officer and request that she be arrested for assault.

If you had called me, I would have said to arrest and prosecute her for battery, since it sounds like there was physical contact.

But I'd also wonder about false imprisonment or conversion, since you took her keys...

Glad it turned out okay, what a nightmare.

I've chased down a hit and run driver before in my car (turned out to be a pregnant woman that was claiming that as a defense for her running from the scene as I eventually caught up to her and called the cops. It was the saddest thing, she nails this old man in his car, he gets out kind of dazed, and then she takes off in her shiny new Volvo station wagon with chrome wheels) and also blocked a potential hit and run truck with my motorcycle after it nailed my best friend - I thought he might have died at the impact, but he is fine (after knee surgery), in my younger days.

Always got to be careful what you do in the interest of justice though, and hope that the law seems things the same way...

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"But I'd also wonder about false imprisonment or conversion, since you took her keys..."

Nope. 'Citizen's arrest. 'Prevented her from fleeing the scene of an accident - which she OBVIOUSLY was going to do.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
"But I'd also wonder about false imprisonment or conversion, since you took her keys..."

Nope. 'Citizen's arrest. 'Prevented her from fleeing the scene of an accident - which she OBVIOUSLY was going to do.

That is your view of things. What do you think a jury in SF CA would think? I rest my case.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That is your view of things. What do you think a jury in SF CA would think? I rest my case.

Ya! I was just thinking about that and came back to my 'peuter to "edit" in a disclaimer!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl 'Something like: "This opinion is valid anywhere but, Cali, Wash. St., Mass, or Vermont"!!!

Thanks fer savin' me the trouble!:lol :thumbsup