EV cars, is the future there ? Porsche rocks the Ring with the Taycan

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I got a Mach E GT last summer. Has almost 30,000 miles already. I liked it so much I got another for my wife. Super fast, blue cruise is awesome on the interstate, electricity is super cheap at my building. Average between home and commercial electricity I pay for is about a dime per kWh. .07 cents at the office.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The mildly updated 2024 Mach E GT in that new green color is mighty tempting....

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Honestly if they called it anything but Mustang it would have been a major success. It’s still the second best selling EV in the U.S. Obviously I got smoked buying mine when I did but I needed a new car. The one I got Francesca was a GT somewhere in the 60s with zero down and it’s just over $500 a month to lease. For a car that does 0-60 in the 3s and hauls 3 kids and a bunch of stuff. Crazy, and they’ve dropped the price even more since then.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
I bought a Taycan 4s 2.5 years ago. Loved driving it but didn’t enjoy the heavy reliance on touch screen buttons. What they did with aiming the vents via screen drove me mad. Traded it in on an RS E-Tron GT (same base car) that has real buttons and vents you can move with a finger. Overall I’m happy with it as a daily driver but got completely destroyed on residual when I went to sell it earlier this year. 55% depreciation in 16 months with 12k miles. Ultimately I decided not to sell it as I was just trying to pair down my collection that now needs a warehouse 🙄. Electric is fun and is really a great decision for less than 150 miles in a day with Garage or work charging. I’m a believer that this is here to stay and will get better with time.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Electric drive has some compelling advantages. However, whether the power to drive those electric motors will come from batteries, fuel cells, ICE, or a hybrid combination is still evolving in the market. I still think the PHEV has the best near-term future.

Reactions: Submoose

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I think electric generated by ICE in an individual car is not happening in the future, we are on the path to CO2 free energy generation.

Hydrogen also does not look good, there are practical problems in refueling (high pressure required at the fuel stop) and it has been calculated for Germany that we need all the Hydrogen already for industrial purposes (steel generation, fertilizer everything that needs high temperatures). If anything left it will not be sufficient for cars and we still haven‘t thought about planes which currently do not have an alternative.

eFuels is being hyped from several populistic politicians, but it is very unefficient to produce. It just makes sense with leftover electric. To be fair improving interconnectivity and adding batteries to the grid will be a more viable solution. I think there will be eFuels for already registered car, but not cheap.

But the good thing about the future is that we are already on the way and it does not look bad.

Last edited:

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
none of this would have happened if it were not for the concern for the environment ICE have been perfected, and since we will always depend on petroleum, if the engineers could just go one more step and eliminate the carbon dioxide from the exhaust we would be all set

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Your chance to get rich :)

even if it would be so, how could you fairly compare them, the ICE in cars has a very long development spawn, where as electric motor/batteries/charging Technology a quite short one.

But there still is one thing that gets me smiling every time, if you put the pedal to the metal, there is gobbs of torque. No need to think about which rpm, which gear, downshifting or what. Just pure power, a flat power curve and no delay.

MR. 5 MPG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 14, 2024
SoCal
I understand the attraction to the incredible torque of EVs. (That's what I also love about my GT and Kirkham Cobra 427.) But, without the revving thunder behind the thrust, there's much less emotional attraction, IMO.

A car buddy of mine bought the hottest Tesla, and now has the hottest Lucid (I forget their model names.) But, he's also a big-power ICE guy. I've driven both of his expensive EVs, and we both agree: The EV is stomach-mashing quick, and certainly makes accelerating into holes in the traffic ahead near instantaneous. Yet, something about the driving experience is missing.

The top-performing EVs represent great feats of engineering. Burning joules instead of gallons. I appreciate all that.

But, NO SOUL.

I'm out.

Reactions: sr71 and RPM217

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I think electric generated by ICE in an individual car is not happening in the future, we are on the path to CO2 free energy generation.
How does that happen with the German attitude on nuclear power?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The top-performing EVs represent great feats of engineering. Burning joules instead of gallons. I appreciate all that.

But, NO SOUL.
The new Hyundai Ioniq 5N is a gamechanger in this regard... and very well may change the way that others build EV's. What you say is exactly true - and has been said by many. Yes, the EV's ARE fast... but the driving experience needs more than just fast. Enter the Ioniq 5 N.

Another high HP, AWD, single gear EV with a 0-60 in the 3.2 range. (Yawn) But then, you put the car into 8-speed sequential gearbox "mode", and the experience is forever changed. Without exception almost every review thought this idea was completely silly/stupid..... until they experienced it. Allegedly the illusion of a 8-speed, paddle-shifted trans is done to absolute perfection. Forget to shift? No problem, the car will hit max (make believe) RPM and sit there and bang off the rev limiter. Upshift 2-3 gears too soon? The car will bog and not deliver any power. Everything is in the execution and apparently Hyundai has really done it right and delivered a car that is by far the most enjoyable EV to drive aggressively. It will be interesting to see how many other manufacturers do something similar.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
What I would really like to see, and for which I would even trade-in my 2021 F150 3.0 Diesel (which I love), is a F150 diesel PHEV.