ebay coconut gt... pour a cold one and join in with your comments

Dawsongrant98

Oct 29, 2007
Eustis, FL.
I suppose it would be better if I wait till it's sold. Then I will no longer be a dealer or promoting it. I will tell you that it is WAY more than that. Shelby knows what I paid. Back in the day when I was trading 30-40 exotics a month wholesale my average profit for the year per car was $800. You would be surprised at how hard guys like Shelby work to make a few bucks. Just because the cars are expensive doesn't mean dealers make huge margins. The best Benz dealers in the country avg. $4-5k per used car sold. Most used highline independent dealers struggle to make $2-3k a car retail. It's a tough deal but certainly is fun at times. It was good enough for us when we were fully engaged but man, you handle a huge amount of money for a small percentage.

You have to be a car nut to do it. The brain damage is overwhelming for most people.

Dawsongrant98

Oct 29, 2007
Eustis, FL.
Shelby, you are right about the ribbing. But at the end of the day when it is sold and gone I will have made a couple of bucks and was able to drive a fun car for a little while, (my 9 year old loves it). Not a bad deal really. Plus I have always enjoyed a challenge. If you want me to do something just tell me I can't!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
... and I thought these small flaws were typical of red/white cars hence their lower resale value.:eek

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Scott, I love car dealers, just slammed down a bottle of Screaming Eagle with my pal trying to set a new booth record for the most ever spent for lunch. Great lunch, stone crabs, fine Loring Pinot Noir... Excellent king crab, mucho goodo!

Then the bas-turd cheats me on the rolls of the dice for lunch and I wind up buying.
Damn car dealer.

Obviously Shelby is a supporting vendor so I have to be nice to him... sort of :)

H

HHGT

... and I thought these small flaws were typical of red/white cars hence their lower resale value.:eek
And the guys with Tungsten don't reply to their p.m. that someone with a red/wht sent them like .... 3 weeks ago.

Bad Kendall Very Bad - No more donuts for you....

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
One question sir, are you a dealer? Thanks

Since you are in Vegas...then, yes! I am a dealer!!!

23198142.jpg

:rofl:banana:wink:lol:cheers:slap

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Is it April 1st already? Dang! :confused:eek:willy:ack:biggrin:rofl

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Dawson 100k on the best day of its life! I am sure you have bought and sold what we on the board might consider junk over the years and no one noticed the flaws. But the Ford GT and this price range is a different deal as I think you will find out and those FLAWS are GLARING! I think anyone with a brain would pass on a car like that unless the price was so good (90 to 100k) that the deal was worth while. But hey your the expert, so lets see what happens? If anyone deserves to make money on the car its you! It takes big balls to put that kind of money out for a car like that and even bigger to market it!:cheers

Dawsongrant98

Oct 29, 2007
Eustis, FL.
More story stuff, sorry.

My calm response. My name is Scott Ales, my son is Dawson Grant Ales, I have used his name since 1998 on ebay and on all forums. YES, I have bought and sold just about everything you can imagine with an internal combustion engine. YES, there are millions of people like me that keep the world economy plugging along. Have you ever held or attended a garage sale? Did you buy or sell something that might have been trash bound? Did anyone see the total piece of junk that sold last year on Ebay for $20k? It was a rare one off Ferrari that turned out to be worth over $3,000,000! True story that was in all the collector car magazines. So what would you say to that seller? I'll be sure to inform the 3 people that offered $120,000, $125,000, and $130,000 that they need to call a doctor to schedule their brain installation. Just kidding, I’m sure you were too. I don't control the market, I just work within its parameters. Through the years the market has given me more than an education. I have been fortunate and blessed to have sold over a quarter of a billion dollars worth of assets in the last 20 years. I have certainly learned MANY hard lessons in the process, just as I am sure you have in your profession. I now apply and use those learning experiences on a daily basis. Really, give me some credit for describing the car for what it is. And please don't even think about going to the "LUCK" thing. The market has surprised me over and over through the years. Like the 350 salvage boats that 5 insurance companies hired me to sell for them. We sold one boat for $100,000, it had sunk and broken in half! We didn't think anyone would even bid on it. And don't also be lulled into the thought that I only sell junk. If you have found my website you will see tons of really cool perfect toys that we have sold in just the last few years. I guess the bottom line is the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure". The flaws are glaring to you and me but are they to everyone? No, because they can either fix it themselves, or the intended use doesn't require a pretty or perfect car. Let's don't forget the heritage of these cars now. You all have seen what a car looks like in the winners circle after a race right? Would you subject your car to that? If you knew you were going to track a car for a full season what car would you go out and buy, TODAY? Besides the one I’m selling. Go find one for less with no frame or mechanical issues still in warranty, then sell it to me and we'll both make money. AND, I'll give 1/2 of my profit to the forum. :) I think your last sentence was a compliment, thank you.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Scott!
Brilkant post!
Free Makers Mark Manhattans and Opus X's for you!
Stick around, you bring a lot to the table!
Cheers!
Daniek

Dawsongrant98

Oct 29, 2007
Eustis, FL.
I knew taming the "Abominable Snowman" would get me somewhere.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
You had an offer of $130k and did not take it??? :confused :eek
Well as you say, there is an ass for every seat. I have had people doubt me before and proved them wrong. More power to you Scott! Please post what it actually sells for once paid for. Everyone is curious to know.

Dawsongrant98

Oct 29, 2007
Eustis, FL.
I sure will. It's just a car and money, neither of which really belongs to any of us. I heard a great comment once about stuff. A guy was flying over the country considering all the records at city hall. Each parcel of land has a name associated with it in the records. Within 100 years or less not one name will be still on that record. It will be under another persons care. I can tell you that I am at least taking care of the GT while I have it! Sort of like a rescue from the pound. :)

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Sorry about the Dawson reference Scott, I thought that was your name! You are right that last sentence was a compliment and a sincere one! But I also have a little bit of knowledge about selling junk as I have been in the Pawn Business for 20 years and I have several locations and have sold everything from Candlestick Holders that sat on George Washingtons dinner table for a 1/4 million dollars, Every single one of Alvin Walton of the Washington Redskins 3 Superbowl rings, Andy Warhol paintings, cars, boats , trailers , gold, junk vcr's and anything else you could think of and that includes a lot of junk I promise you! I also have a small collection of cars 15 of them and have been buying and selling Muscle Cars for over 20 years and I know quality when I see it and I know Junk! All I was saying was the car doesn't present itself very well and probably has been wrecked even if the title is clear. In Virginia where I live they don't give salvage titles, if your car is totaled and rebuilt and put back on the street it gets a regular title, so to me clean title means nothing! I think you are taking this personally and its not! I sell junk all the time and make a good profit on it to but if I put a diamond ring on this board and asked the guys what they think of my cracked ice, yellow included, diamond engagement ring they might lamblast me! That doesn't mean I still can't make money on it, but if I have it listed for the price of a VS1 G color stone I know a hail storm awaits me! I personally think if you were offered 130k for that car and didn't take it you are either lying or are not nearly as smart as your vast history of wheeling and dealing suggests? Because no matter what reasoning you want to use, the fact of the matter is there has to be a discount for damage and mileage! And your car has a lot of both! And if it is being marketed as a race car, you surely know they sell for quite a discount as well as most have been run hard and put away wet!
And in a previous post on this board there are several recent sales listed and some cars were in new condition with virtually no mileage selling in the high 130's low 140's. Do the math and then tell me what person of reasonable intelligence would turn down 130k for your car or for that matter make an offer for that price? Helen Keller?
All I am saying now is the same thing I was saying before, nice car in the 100k range anything more than that is not a good deal to me! The other people reading this would have to tell you yourself what they consider a good deal but to me its not!
And isn't everybody looking for a good deal? I know I am, how about you?

Maybe I am the one who is not being reasonable here? I don't know?
Either way nothing personal! and good luck with the sale!

Last edited:

Dawsongrant98

Oct 29, 2007
Eustis, FL.
Bullish I guess.

It's an opportunity to apply myself a small amount to make $7-9k. If I sell it at $130,000 that's it, I'll never get anymore and I don't get to drive it. If I wait for what I think it is worth I may not be able to find someone at $130,000 again. That is true, however, since the car is no longer produced not likely (in my opinion). Exclusivity = value. I just have more patients and confidence than others. I don't have anything else right now to put the money in that will make $7-9k so why not wait and enjoy. Do you realize what these cars rent for? Even if I'm forced to take less I still have fun. Come on fellas, I'm going long on GTs!:thumbsup

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
That makes more sense to me and I can relate to that!:cheers

Dawsongrant98

Oct 29, 2007
Eustis, FL.
Sold to PerformanceAndy

I sold the car to Andy from Performance Auto Sales. He feels a good wet sand and buff will do the trick.

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
This car will require alot less work than Andy is used to doing. He could use the rest I'm sure.:biggrin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Do you realize what these cars rent for? Even if I'm forced to take less I still have fun. Come on fellas, I'm going long on GTs!:thumbsup

Sounds like you made the deal Scott. Most of us here are long on the GT's. Hurry up and get another one. Really enjoyed the postings! You drew out the emotions of many! :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
+1