Dumb question.... sorry but..

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
Can we get in these cars with JUST a key? I mean without the key fob? Is there a key access hiding somewhere? In case the key fobs battery dies.... Thanks...

Aug 25, 2006
Can we get in these cars with JUST a key? I mean without the key fob? Is there a key access hiding somewhere? In case the key fobs battery dies.... Thanks...

No dumb questions

The key will open the door mechanically.

No worries

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Driver's door has access keyhole. Turn counter-clockwise. Some say very hard to turn, mine's not bad. Same thing for front trunk and gas.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'd advise that you exercise the mechanical key lock on a regular basis so that it does not freeze up on you over time. Mechanical things don't work well when they just sit. My two cents worth anyway.

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
Careful with the key. dont scratch it!!!!!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Yes, what everyone else said.:banana

Musclecar67

Oct 29, 2006
You could always put a small circle of clear guard around the key hole, thats what I did for my mustang. Tho I never use it

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
dealer made copy of key, doesnt work.

They said I needed the car there to make a correct full working key with the computer chip inside, but the standard key WOULD work the door, gas cap, and front hood. They lied. OR, they just made a bad copy. They also said if anyone tried to start the car with it, it would lock up the computer and we would have to have the car towed into the dealer to get it running again!! geeze, what a pain!

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Regular key should work in door and hood - fuel door. They are mechanical (cable actually). If you tried to start the car, nothing would happen. It would work ok with the chip key. Dealer may have cut the key wrong. :thumbsup

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Regular key should work in door and hood - fuel door. They are mechanical (cable actually). If you tried to start the car, nothing would happen. It would work ok with the chip key. Dealer may have cut the key wrong. :thumbsup

I have an 06 #1630. The key works for the gas lid but the truck lid only opens with the remote. When I put the key in the drivers side and pull the lever after turning the key all I hear is what sounds like a micro switch click. I thought it was electrically actuated and something is not right with it. Do I need to turn the key further once I pull the lever up?

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Trunk Lid

On mine, the front lid opens with the key...but....you have to turn the key pull the handle, hold the handle and then lift the lid. The spring that should cause the lid to pop up does not work on mine.
Hope that helps....
Don:thumbsup

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
On mine, the front lid opens with the key...but....you have to turn the key pull the handle, hold the handle and then lift the lid. The spring that should cause the lid to pop up does not work on mine.
Hope that helps....
Don:thumbsup

Don,

You are correct, works every time as you discribe.

However, I did not think there was a spring that makes the trunk lid pop up, mine does not have a spring.

tcm668

Oct 10, 2006
If the key has a Chip in it, it has to be programmed into the system. Unless Ford has done something funky with the onboard computer, you should be able to program up to 8 keys/fobs into the system.

This may not work on the GT, BUT, get in the car and close the door. Insert 1 chip key into the ign and cycle from the off to on pos, like 7 or 8 times in rapid sequence. At that point, the cars door locks should cycle from lock to unlock, then insert the next key, cycle once from off to on, insert next, etc.

Key program at the same time, you just hit the lock button once for each fob.

after all is done, turn the key to the off position and remove key. everything should be prog'd then.

This will also remove any keys from the system that may be "floating out there" from previous owners, or dealers, bank repo people, etc.

The owners manual should cover these details somewhere.

If you only have 1 chip key, then the dealer will have to program 1 additional key into your car using their STAR Prog tool. It should be less than an hour, and you should be able to get blanks off Ebay for cheap(welp cheaper than the dealer). Have a local locksmith cut the key, and ask the ford dealer to just prog the key into the system.

For my Cobra R, it cost me over $ 150 for my 2nd key.

Also, if you just want a key to open doors, trunks etc, you can get a blank from anywhere and have it cut. It won't start the car, but if you lock your keys in, you'll still have a way in. Also I've seen the plastic keys on a card that fit in your wallet, those should work as well, providing your locks operate in a smooth manner.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tungsten and Spirit are correct, no spring on the front hood when you open with the key manually. As far as logging on new fobs or keys, the entire procedure is detailed in the Technical Service manual. Remember, if you don't shut the hood correctly, which you might not notice, it will give and error message on your dash when you drive that sometning is open. As well, you have to reset by opening with the fob. There are some old posts concerning this in detail.