Battery Connection Anti-Corrosion Gel and Other Connections Too

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Not for me.
So how am I supposed to do it?

Unscrew the whole thing (screw + holding wedge) with a string attached to it then change battery then screw it back on?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes tie a string on the bolt. Once you loosen it it can drop down still attached to the wedge. Just loosen it enough so the wedge is moveable. When installed, the wedge catches the back, bottom lip of the battery. When the wedge is loose you can move it far enough to the back so it frees up the battery and you Just lift the battery out. When you drop the new battery back in, you wiggle the bolt so the wedge catches the back bottom edge of the battery. Don't tighten completely until you are sure the trunk liner goes into place completely. If it does not, loosen bolt and wedge and shove battery forward (this is only a matter of a couple millimeters)(the front of the car). Move bolt and wedge again so wedge catches back bottom edge of battery. Tighten a little again and test trunk liner. When battery is in correct position the liner slips into place easily. Then you can tighten the bolt/wedge. I would not use a pillow. I use three thick folded towels. You do not need to tighten the bolt very much to hold the battery in.

Reactions: drilling
Yes tie a string on the bolt. Once you loosen it it can drop down still attached to the wedge. Just loosen it enough so the wedge is moveable. When installed, the wedge catches the back, bottom lip of the battery. When the wedge is loose you can move it far enough to the back so it frees up the battery and you Just lift the battery out. When you drop the new battery back in, you wiggle the bolt so the wedge catches the back bottom edge of the battery. Don't tighten completely until you are sure the trunk liner goes into place completely. If it does not, loosen bolt and wedge and shove battery forward (this is only a matter of a couple millimeters)(the front of the car). Move bolt and wedge again so wedge catches back bottom edge of battery. Tighten a little again and test trunk liner. When battery is in correct position the liner slips into place easily. Then you can tighten the bolt/wedge. I would not use a pillow. I use three thick folded towels. You do not need to tighten the bolt very much to hold the battery in.
Actually, I have found it much easier to replace the battery through one of the radiator vents. It does fit. After loosening the hold down bolt and clamp, you can move pick up and move the battery sideways so its more or less below one of the vents with the frunk lid open. That way you can lift the battery straight up rather than having to lean over the fender with all the risks involved in denting the body (not to mention destroying your back ...).

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018

Wouldnt pillow be better than folded towels in distributing a sharp force to a wide one so it doesnt dent the fender?

Not to be too technical 😅

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I will no longer trust a pillow, blankets or any covering on the fender. Employ a friend and don't use the fender for any leverage. Despite protection I dented mine (now fixed) and will not risk it again.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My feeling is pillows are too soft and will not distribute force as well as several folded bath towels. And if you ever saw how bony Howard is, you would understand.

Reactions: analogdesigner

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
When I changed mine a few months back, I was able to just loosen the retainer bolt and the battery came out. I used my wife’s yoga mats over the fender just in case so my clothing didn’t scratch (zippers, etc) but didn’t use as a leverage point. It wasn’t a hard task. Just take your time.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Open your truck's tailgate, lay in the bed face down with your head hanging over the back of the tailgate, have your wife back it up so the tailgate is over the GT's fender, and now you can just reach down and lift the battery up ... and tell your wife OK go ahead and punch it, I can't hold this thing all day. Hopefully she remembers to put it in drive.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Open your truck's tailgate, lay in the bed face down with your head hanging over the back of the tailgate, have your wife back it up so the tailgate is over the GT's fender, and now you can just reach down and lift the battery up ... and tell your wife OK go ahead and punch it, I can't hold this thing all day. Hopefully she remembers to put it in drive.
Guaranteed disaster/damage/marriage ending move.

Reactions: drilling

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Guaranteed disaster/damage/marriage ending move.
😂😂😂

If wife messes up, she ending in battered woman shelter for sure