Airbag Light

Umfau

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2024
North Carolina
Hi All,

I am new GT owner and love the car. I have couple of questions that i hope this community can help me with.

1) The car keep having its Airbag light come on … What could be cause of this? I have appointment with dealer to look into this.
2) The car is stock, but i am surprised how low the exhaust sounds … It that normal for this car as friend of mine has a 2006 stock and his cold start and idle exhaust sound is much louder then mine.
3) On rear diffuser, where can i buy OEM as mine has some scuff marks on it.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Good morning and welcome to the forum . Your first post too!. on the airbag lamp there are many sensors within the system that could cause the lamp from seatbelt switches to the clock spring under the steering wheel. Every time the ignition key is cycled the system does a check of circuits within the system and proofs out or see's a fault and illuminates the warning lamp. It will then store a fault code in the RCM which can be retrieved with a scan tool and a pinpoint test can be performed to determine the cause.
On the exhaust cars will get slightly loader with miles but the factory exhaust is rather quiet and is why most remove the 70 lb muffler and install a ram style with no muffler as the Cats are a restrictor and act somewhat as a muffler.
Not sure where to locate a rear diffuser and some0ne will chime in but scuffs and minor damages can be repairs and painted by your body shop. Hope this helps and enjoy your car.

Reactions: extrap and KJD

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Welcome! 🍻 Good answers from David above (y)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The rear diffuser is a complete assembly of the 4 diffusers and the belly pan panel to which they are attached. Ford is your only source and inventory and availability can be very spotty. I would try Tasca Ford parts online to see but be aware that in my searches for online it was nearly the same price to get it from the local dealer. The reason is the box is very large and triggers the dimension ship charges instead of weight and the shipping erodes any savings from Tasca's discount. The local dealer gets it on the Ford parts delivery truck. Try to haggle and you can get them down to shop price but...

The diffusers are very fragile and I changed them to the more pliable version from Stillen.

Regarding air bags... The first suspect is the seat sensor and wiring. Try plugging in and removing the seat belt on each side. If you don't see the seat belt light on with a passenger/driver sitting then the harness might be unplugged. A dealer can find which sensor is triggering the alert.

Did the car have the air bag recall performed??? If you don't know (dealer service paperwork) then check the ford recall site to see if it is still outstanding.

Umfau

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2024
North Carolina
Thank you all for quick replies and suggestions … car is going to dealer to look over and see what is going on.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Rear diffusers have been NLA for years. Not saying you cannot find one, but it will be hard and expensive. They really are easy to repair.

Reactions: MAD IN NC

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Make sure the dealership has worked on GTs before. Don't let them substitute oils and fluids. It is not a given that Ford dealerships know What they are doing.

Reactions: 2112

Umfau

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2024
North Carolina
W
Make sure the dealership has worked on GTs before. Don't let them substitute oils and fluids. It is not a given that Ford dealerships know What they are doing.
hat is best way to determine if dealer has experience with such car? I contacted local dealer and they said they have had GT come in past but also asked what kind of work I was looking to do which led me to believe they don’t touch these cars much.

In other brand cars, for their halo car they typically have single certified tech they only works on them … does Ford have such techs?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The best way is to ask here on the Forum. I see you are in north Carolina. Near what big city? I will contact the only owner I know in NC. We can see who he recommends. I will tell him to post here. You are right about having a trained service tech.

Reactions: italianjoe and 2112

Umfau

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2024
North Carolina
I am in Raleigh area in NC …
The best way is to ask here on the Forum. I see you are in north Carolina. Near what big city? I will contact the only owner I know in NC. We can see who he recommends. I will tell him to post here. You are right about having a trained service tech

Umfau

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2024
North Carolina
The best way is to ask here on the Forum. I see you are in north Carolina. Near what big city? I will contact the only owner I know in NC. We can see who he recommends. I will tell him to post here. You are right about having a trained service tech.

I am in the Raleigh area.

Reactions: MAD IN NC

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
morning and welcome Umfau. I'm in Raleigh. whats your locale? For Airbag CrossRoad ford in Fuquay-Varina service mine for the recall. I use to know the service manager but he has moved on. They did have FGT trained techs. Suggest calling their Service manager and see if he can take on the challenge. PM me your phone number

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In other brand cars, for their halo car they typically have single certified tech they only works on them … does Ford have such techs?

The answer was "Yes." Ford dealers could send tech to special Ford GT training, but this started in 2004 before deliveries and continued, but by now turnover says those techs have scattered hither and yon. Since dealers sent their senior techs, age says many have retired... You should inquire if they have a tech trained on the 05-06 Ford GT.

Second choice would be a dealer that signed up to service the 2017+ NFGT. They had special training but also special handling requirements at the dealership for the cars. Someone willing to make that investment could be trusted to service the 05-06 even if they weren't specifically trained. It's not a difficult car to work on - I did all my stuff myself - it's just a matter of being patient and reading the service manual when in doubt.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank you MADinNC. Appreciate your insightful help and response.

Umfau

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2024
North Carolina
Thanks for the insight … I reached out to crossroad ford in apex and they informed me they do GTs. Will call the one in FA one as well … I love this forum and members … very helpful.

Reactions: extrap

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks for the insight … I reached out to crossroad ford in apex and they informed me they do GTs. Will call the one in FA one as well … I love this forum and members … very helpful.
I worked on over 90% of my FGT issues/ maintenance myself. But as I get older and wiser I did send car to Detroit to have it gone over by Rich as close to 20 yr's old.

There is an independent shop in Creedmore that I would trust to work on my FGT and you can purchase the fluids from Rock Auto with a BMW Man oil filter. I'll also be glad to help if ya want to change the exhaust to a Heffner X-Pipe.

As 2112 stated the diffuser can be fixed easily. Many cases while still on the car.

PM me you phone # and let's sync up.

Reactions: Nafod and Umfau