Air Bag Emblem/Std Wheel Caps --what now ??????

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
My air bag (deteriorated cloudy emblem) and std. wheel centers (rusted) were both replaced under warrenty with similarly defective items. Now that I am out of warrenty, both items are as bad as the replaced items. Any ideas ? I can rechome the caps with quality chrome but I do not have any ideas about transfering the "Ford" plastic centers which are in acceptable condition.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
RE: deteriorated cloudy "FORD GT" air bag emblem

This is happening to almost every GT out there. There are two solutions.

1. Replace the air bag. Cost = approx $3K+. and the same problem will happen again, eventually.

2. Follow the link below. This is the most practical solution.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-Wheel-Airbag-LOGO-Fisnihed-ready-to-purchase!

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Awesome mine fortunately is perfect but i know alot cars i looked at had bad ones ,seemed so random also

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Is this supposed to be a stocked item? The link said no longer available

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is this supposed to be a stocked item? The link said no longer available
Maybe snatched up by a parts vendor?

My guess is they will be available again, probably for more money tho.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
LH bag
6G7Z 63043B13 AC dealer cost 526.18 SRP 876.97

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
There will be more available in 3-4 weeks. If you would like me to send you a link to a private sale to lock one in, you can inbox the ebay account TREBOR605. Same price.
Why not offer them here and save the eBay fees?

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
By the way… I still have a 2005/2006 brand new steering wheel with airbag (recall preformed) never used or installed on a car for sale If any of you have a worn our wheel. By the way the center cap has had the refinishing completed as well.

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
I grabbed one as spare ,but still curious was there a running theory on why some went bad & some didn't, i've seen low milage examples & high er milage with them ,maybe climate related ?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Doubt it's climate related. My 2005 (May production) lived on the east coast, DC area, for most of its life, so a humid environment. I have 85,000 miles on it, and it's not showing signs of delaminating or corrosion. Guess I got lucky. So far...

Reactions: Twturbo

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
By the way… I still have a 2005/2006 brand new steering wheel with airbag (recall preformed) never used or installed on a car for sale If any of you have a worn our wheel. By the way the center cap has had the refinishing completed as well.
I would be interested, brent@restorationrods.com

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I was so naive when I bought my car that replacmenet parts would be readily available for years just like Porsche! Boy was I mistaken. Afraid to drive it now for fear of something breaking or someone hitting my car and not being able to find the parts to repair!!! Pretty sad. Ford should remake all of the parts and have stock for these cars. Cannot even get a headlight????

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
I'm interested in wear parts, as I fully intend to drive it. I guess if damaged then that is what insurance is for. They can be found just not cheap.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I'm interested in wear parts, as I fully intend to drive it. I guess if damaged then that is what insurance is for. They can be found just not cheap.
If a steering wheel and airbag are "wear" parts, your driving skills need work but you're having FUN!

Reactions: Kpgarage

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
I have had many Fords, the steering wheels always end up looking worn. Have replaced my Lightning wheel, Raptor, Mustang Cobra, and even my GT350 is showing signs of wear.

Reactions: GT@50

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Re steering wheel wear: My steering wheel, with 85Kmi on it, looks almost new. Even the GT emblem. If you wear a Super Bowl ring regularly, YMMV.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have had many Fords, the steering wheels always end up looking worn. Have replaced my Lightning wheel, Raptor, Mustang Cobra, and even my GT350 is showing signs of wear.
I have put Wheelskins on every car/steering wheel I have owned and it becomes a sacrificial/replaceable part...