A couple of techy questions...

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
These should be in different threads I guess but I never was one for conformity.

1) Lens covers on the headlights... can they be replaced? If so, difficulty level?

2) Fog lights... same question.

3) Clamshell springs: I want to convert from an '05 to an '06. I tried to change the standard rubber bushing on my 05' to the spring loaded bushings found on the '06. I can't do as it stands because the thread fitting seems to be different. What is the most common solution here, just add a nut?

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The fog light can be opened and re-shut no problem. The headlight is sealed so you have to replace the whole thing. Can't get it apart without destroying it.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
3) Clamshell springs: I want to convert from an '05 to an '06. I tried to change the standard rubber bushing on my 05' to the spring loaded bushings found on the '06. I can't do as it stands because the thread fitting seems to be different. What is the most common solution here, just add a nut?

Correct 6mm nut is the fix

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
2) Fog lights... same question.

The outer fog lamp lenses are sold independent of the fog lamp assembly.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
That was fast.... thanks

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
NP

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Is the mod to the 06 clamshell springs to soften the closing of the lid?

John

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Is the mod to the 06 clamshell springs to soften the closing of the lid?

John

Actually, it helps pop it up more when you pop the hatch. Does not change the closing....

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
Shelby is exactly right. I converted my car to the clamshell springs, and it does help the opening process. By the way, for those who do not know, the springs are from a late model Thunderbird trunk.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Whats the problem with your lenses, if they are just scratched they can be polished.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Whats the problem with your lenses, if they are just scratched they can be polished.

You can get polycarbonate polished? WINNER!!!

How do I look that up?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
You can get polycarbonate polished? WINNER!!!

How do I look that up?

Griot's has a product:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product...word=plastic+polish&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Fog Light Lens

The fog light can be opened and re-shut no problem. The headlight is sealed so you have to replace the whole thing. Can't get it apart without destroying it.

Dave, I have some accumulated "stuff" on the inside fog light lens which I would like to clean out. While Rich and Dennis were working on my GT in Scottsdale I asked if there was an easy way to get to the back side of the plastic lens and they told me it was actually quite envolved and you have to remove the whole fog light from the wheel well. Decided not to pursue.

If you know of an easier way (or any other member) to get to the inner lens surface, could you share? I take it this same procedure would be used to replace a burned out fog light bulb...?

Thanks!

tcm668

Oct 10, 2006
Those with connections in the aviation industry lknow about MicroMesh. We used it to buff out cracks and crazing in plexiglass.

It comes with the emery cloth and polishing compounds.

Its a pain to use, but works like a champ. Do a Google Search for MicroMesh.

There are various kits depending on the nature of the polishing work to be done.

Good Luck....

Aug 25, 2006
Dave, I have some accumulated "stuff" on the inside fog light lens which I would like to clean out. While Rich and Dennis were working on my GT in Scottsdale I asked if there was an easy way to get to the back side of the plastic lens and they told me it was actually quite envolved and you have to remove the whole fog light from the wheel well. Decided not to pursue.

If you know of an easier way (or any other member) to get to the inner lens surface, could you share? I take it this same procedure would be used to replace a burned out fog light bulb...?

Thanks!

FYI

Once the inner fender liner has been removed you can replace the bulb and the lens without removing the lamp assembly; other than the inner fender liner the process is not difficult.

A problem is the lens has a foam seal that is compressed during the installation as such IMO will not offer much in the way of sealing if used a second time. As such either the lens which comes with a new seal in place or a self made seal will need too be used.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
The Shadow Knows..

Thanks Bill!
I vaguely remember Rich saying something about the inner fender liner which I now recall thinking was not a quick procedure.
Thanks again for the post...

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Bill!
I vaguely remember Rich saying something about the inner fender liner which I now recall thinking was not a quick procedure.
Thanks again for the post...

You are welcome; yes IMO the inner fender liner is the only challenge particularly if one has not removed one.

Takes care

Shadowman