What to look for on 05-06 GT

Z71456

Sep 23, 2024
So Cal
Hello, I am new to the forum and have been reading lots of great posts full of lots of helpful information and forgive me if this has been posted a bunch of times and missed them. After dreaming about this car since it came out, I am finally looking to pull the trigger on my very own 05-06 Ford GT. I have watched several videos and read several posts about things to look out for when looking for one to buy. Some things I have noted are the following:

*Oxidation on center cap of steering wheel
*Oxidation of interior center trans tunnel
*All gauges functioning
*Windshield and exterior door seals
*cracked or leaking hoses/seals

I have read that many parts are difficult or impossible to find so I’m not sure of what else I should look out for besides obvious things I see in person. I’m hoping to find a car that was driven fairly frequently. 10-20k miles doesn’t scare me and is actually preferred because it’s been driven and hasn’t just sat in a garage. I like to drive my cars and would drive this often.

Anyways, any input or direction to a thread that answers this would be so greatly appreciated. My apologies again if this has been addressed. I was having trouble with the searches and went down a few rabbit holes.

Thank you kindly!
-Chris

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
If 41,000 miles doesn't scare you give me a call 914-490-8365 Pat.
On one of the other threads

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
One of the guys here posted an inspection list to follow when looking at a car. I would do a search for it and go through it yourself. The best is to have one of the known good members here do an inspection for you. I see you are in SoCal. Kendal Pond of CoolTech is your go to guy there. You can find him on the Forum as he is a vendor.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Reactions: Z71456

Z71456

Sep 23, 2024
So Cal
Thank you all so much! This is fantastic!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, of the things you listed, I'm not sure any of them are deal-killers given the right price;

Delaminated steering wheel emblem - VERY common and easily fixable
Paint bubbles on console - Something to check for; relatively rare; not easy to repair perfectly. Probably live with it.
Small gauges - relatively inexpensive to replace. Tach and Speedo can be rebuilt by a service from GTGuys
Windshield and door seals - Something to check. Rare to find issues in my experience
Cracked or leaking hoses - Once again, part of PPI. Rare issues. If and when present, remedies are available

Bigger issues is to be able to detect undisclosed accident repairs, frame damage, re-paints, etc.

Good luck in your search!!

Z71456

Sep 23, 2024
So Cal
Yeah, of the things you listed, I'm not sure any of them are deal-killers given the right price;

Delaminated steering wheel emblem - VERY common and easily fixable
Paint bubbles on console - Something to check for; relatively rare; not easy to repair perfectly. Probably live with it.
Small gauges - relatively inexpensive to replace. Tach and Speedo can be rebuilt by a service from GTGuys
Windshield and door seals - Something to check. Rare to find issues in my experience
Cracked or leaking hoses - Once again, part of PPI. Rare issues. If and when present, remedies are available

Bigger issues is to be able to detect undisclosed accident repairs, frame damage, re-paints, etc.

Good luck in your search!!
This is excellent. I really appreciate it.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Pretty amazing that a car almost 20 years old has such a piffling list of issues to look out for, think if it was a McLaren or Ferrari etc. I heard that the GT is the only supercar designed and built to meet full SAE compliance and that's why it's basically bulletproof. 52k plus on mine with only routine servicing

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
86Kmi on mine with only regular service. Two members here are past 140Kmi.