Wayne Dalton i-drive garage door opener?

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I'm expanding my garage, and want to minimize the clutter on my pretty new 13 ft bead board ceiling.

There is not enough room for a jackshaft opener to the side of the doors, but I have seen this unit, which would fit perfectly:

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp

But it seems to have some mixed reviews on the internet.

Anyone have first hand experience?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm expanding my garage, and want to minimize the clutter on my pretty new 13 ft bead board ceiling.

There is not enough room for a jackshaft opener to the side of the doors, but I have seen this unit, which would fit perfectly:

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp

But it seems to have some mixed reviews on the internet.

Anyone have first hand experience?

I was going to have this system installed myself, BUT, I was informed you have to have THEIR "non-pinch" doors and tracks, etc, installed too. They all work together somehow, someway (something about their "safety system", or whatever).

So, if you already HAVE your own doors installed and just wanna install their LIFTING mechanism, I think you're screwed.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Doc.

I just had a couple of chamberlain liftmasters installed. They work quite nicely.
Check 'em out. www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/products/pflResidentialJackshaft.htm

Manny

Never mind-- just fully read your situation. I will leave the link up as it could help someone else.

Last edited:

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
I have had the wayne-dalton on 2 doors for 4 years now with no issues.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
So, if you already HAVE your own doors installed and just wanna install their LIFTING mechanism, I think you're screwed.

Actually, if you check their website link above, they have the 'torsion' universal model as well as the integrated one for WD doors.

Thanks for the input...anyone else?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Helping my neighbor put one on in two weeks.... He also was told the same stuff, saftey etc. blah, blah, blah. But he responded with he built the garage himself, already hooked up three dors and has the WD to do for the lift bay and prefers to install the WD himself - so? "do you want the money?" guess what - he has the opener. If you can wait I'll let you know:cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Helping my neighbor put one on in two weeks.... He also was told the same stuff, saftey etc. blah, blah, blah. But he responded with he built the garage himself, already hooked up three dors and has the WD to do for the lift bay and prefers to install the WD himself - so? "do you want the money?" guess what - he has the opener. If you can wait I'll let you know:cheers

I can't speak for "Doc", but I'd like sure like to hear how they work out. I still don't have openers on 2 of my doors. THESE would be perfect ...if they'll work.

TIA, MAD. :thumbsup

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
opener

Doc
I had initially considered these units for my house a few years ago when they were first on the market. I declined to install them after talking to my vendor. My rep told me that the internal gears were a low grade plastic and with a given force they could be broken. He further explained that there had been some garage thefts by vandals forceably lifting the door upward. That in turn would strip the gears and allow the door to be raised freely. I checked back with the vendor a year later and he said that there had not been any modifications to the existing gear construction. He may be feeding me a bunch of BS but he is also a Wayne Walton dealer. For as long as I've worked with him, he seems to be a stand up guy looking out for his customers. WD may have recently redesigned their internal gearing but I am unaware of any changes. There are other options that could possibly be applicable. Check out side drives, where the motor, chain and sprockets are on one side of the garage door. You can usually go with a stronger motor when using this aplication. I don't have specifics on these units yet but will be in the near future for the next garage (house). If you don't have any luck finding an installer let me know where your located and I'll see what I can do to help.
John

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I can't speak for "Doc", but I'd like sure like to hear how they work out. I still don't have openers on 2 of my doors.:thumbsup

I guess you don't need openers if the car never leaves the garage!
:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I guess you don't need openers if the car never leaves the garage!
:lol

:mad :slap

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Thanks for all the feedback. My contractor's garage door guy also doesn't recommend them. Unfortunately, I don't have room for side drive jackshaft openers due to there being pillars on either side of the doors.

So it looks like either I gamble on the WD's or clutter up the ceiling. Gotta decide soon, probably today or tomorrow.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Do your pillars run all the way to the ceiling? If not, you can move the garage door tracks up to the ceiling and put in high lift drums, springs, etc.
"Then" you might have room for a jackshaft opener like the liftmaster 3800 mentioned above. I have this opener installed and it is much quieter than the chain drive stuff I had, and it gives me the ceiling clearance I needed to fit my lift.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
DanQ,

That's a great thought, but I have the garage doors being moved out to the edge of an existing porte cochere to maximize the interior garage space, and the pillars run all the way up, so short of installing some kind of a universal joint at a 45 degree angle, I don't think it'll work.

Hmmmm...maybe I'm on to something here! :biggrin

Actually, I have 13ft ceilings, and the garage will now be two cars deep (that's why I'm enclosing the porte cochere), so lift clearance isn't an issue....it's just purely for the aesthetics, since I have a nice ceiling being put it.

I'll post pics when it's done.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Doc
I had a chance to call my today rep while I was stuck in a downpour. Who says it doesn't rain in Phx :lol He said there hasn't been any significant changes to the iDrive system to correct the gear issue. Jerry also told me most garage door companies won't install the side mount openers because of liability issues. One solution he had, if it applies, is to offset the opener. Meaning that the opener can be installed next to the track as long as the opener can be mounted to the buckboard. In that install, the opener would be run closely to one of the two tracks. It may be the cleanest look available IMO. If the buckboard doesn't extend to mount the opener, it could be modified with minimal drywall repair. I hope this can help with your decision. Let me know how this works out.
John

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
One last idea. Could you have traditional swing out carriage doors instead of the usual overhead door?

There might be other opener options for swing out doors. A quick google seach came up with this opener, but there isn't a good picture. It looks to me like it might mount on the header above the door.

http://www.realcarriagedoors.com/hardware-item.php?prod-id=ao-wm

One comment about the side mount openers and liability issues... I think that is old info. The liftmaster 3800 has all the electric eye and auto reverse stuff a regular opener has.

Last edited:

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Thanks for the ideas. The offset overhead opener is an interesting thought.

The garage doors were installed yesterday.....will decide on the openers shortly. Pics soon.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
One last idea. Could you have traditional swing out carriage doors instead of the usual overhead door?

There might be other opener options for swing out doors. A quick google seach came up with this opener, but there isn't a good picture. It looks to me like it might mount on the header above the door.

http://www.realcarriagedoors.com/hardware-item.php?prod-id=ao-wm

One comment about the side mount openers and liability issues... I think that is old info. The liftmaster 3800 has all the electric eye and auto reverse stuff a regular opener has.

Dan
With all respect it doesn't have to do with the built safety features that have required for mant years. According to the rep it has to do with the prolonged stress that is applied to the spindle on the end where the motor is mounted. There tends to be failure at the mounts of either the motor or track. Just my 2 cents :wink

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
JBG, Thanks for the additional info. I appreciate the clarification.