vin number decoder

dan

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Hs anyone figured out what number or letter stands for what in the vin number? I am looking for another gt and find so many of them not listing the color or the options on the car. Any help is appreciated.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

Last edited:

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
See the recent thread titled "Kindergarten Question" in which I asked the same thing you just did. Nielda kindly supplied a pdf of a Ford GT-specific technical write-up which decodes the VIN.

dan

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
thank you
I see what you mean about the color not being inthe vin

I will have to make all the calls to get what I am looking for

thank you

dan

Gerry

Oct 13, 2006
Dearborn, Michigan
VIN Decoding

Dan,

The VIN decoder is also in the front of the shop manual. I have a shop manual & an Electrical Manual for the GT if you are interested. They are $219 new. I am selling it for $150.

Anyway, here's some of the VIN info:

The first digit is the country of manufacture: 1 = USA (2=Canada, 3 Mexico)
The first 3 digits = world manufactuere ID: 1FA = Ford passenger car
4th digit: restraint system F= active safety belts, all positions; driver & passenger air bags. (active safety nelts means you have a pretensioner (pyrotechnic) that tightens the seat belt in an accident.)
5th through 7th digit: vehicle line, series, body type. P90= GT, 2 door coupe.
8th digit: Engine. S= 5.4L DOHC, EFI,S/C aluminum V-8.
(5.4 Litre, Dual Overhead Camshaft, Electronic fuel injection, Super Charged)
9th digit = computer generated check digit.
10th digit: Model Year. 6= 2006
11th digit: Assembly plant Y = Wixom, Michigan.
12th through 17th digits: Vehicle build sequence. (these are the numbers that really ID your vehicle.)

Your Your vehicle certification label is on the driver's door and it has your paint codes, interior trim code, radio code, tire pressure, spring codes, transmission codes, axle codes, etc.
That info is oin the shop manual as well. Hope this helps.