Rear Diffuser Repair with Steel reinforcement

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
1. Cut off damaged area.
2. Drill small holes with a very small drill bit and Dremel tool to accept steel wire.
3. Roughen the wire with sandpaper and epoxy the wire into the holes.
4. Make a mold with some thin boards and cover the sides with a releasing agent (kid's crayon) and clamp around the damaged area.
5. Fill the void with epoxy. I used black epoxy for a better base color.
6. When dry remove mold and file and sand to match previous contour.
7. Paint satin black to finish the process.

I was thinking of buying the Stillen's diffuser, but I thought drilling out all of the rivets, aligning and drilling the new diffuser and then finally riveting the new one in place was more work than doing this small repair.

Attachments

• rep1.jpg
    rep1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 403
  • rep2.jpg
    rep2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 401
  • rep3.jpg
    rep3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 400
  • rep4.jpg
    rep4.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 399
  • rep5.jpg
    rep5.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Now that was a lot of work with results that support it; looks great

Thank you for sharing the project and your process

Takes care

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great post. I did the Stillen defuser install and it was a lot of work.

Now I have real concerns about the effectiveness of the defuser at wot. Ford engineers spent many hours in the wind tunnel making sure our car was properly balanced. By changing the spliter, defuser and wicker one can alter this balance. I received a heads up for a top Ford engineer who worked on the team.

I will reinstall the stock defuser if I should ever have the urge to run WOT.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Nice job... I love a little home-made engineering from time to time.

mardyn

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Now I have real concerns about the effectiveness of the defuser at wot. Ford engineers spent many hours in the wind tunnel making sure our car was properly balanced. By changing the spliter, defuser and wicker one can alter this balance. I received a heads up for a top Ford engineer who worked on the team.

Stillen now makes a diffuser in the stock dimensions as well. I don't have any concerns about the shape of either of diffuser from Stillen. My opinion is both shapes should provide equal, or more downforce to the rear of the car.

My concern, is that the material being more pliable. may distort at high speeds changing the diffuser's shape, air flow and thus may decrease downforce. Does anyone have a video of what the diffuser looks like at 200 MPH?

In any case, if I needed a new diffuser I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Stillen's. Since I always obey the laws of man and nature, for me, a diffuser is merely an aesthetic non-functional item at the speeds I travel at.

If I was entering unlimited class in the Silver State Classic, I would have second thoughts about using any non-stock parts without testing and verification!

In any case, GT owners have another alternative to buying stock or Stillen's diffuser. The diffusers can be repaired to look and perform like new. Note for a larger repair area I would use some fine steel mesh in addition to the wires to add more strength and support.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
very nice :thumbsup

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Well done@ :thumbsup
Thanks for sharing....so far I have not bunged up my rear diffuser, but I figure the day is coming.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Daniel,
Are you saying you are not certain if the Stillen rear diffuser is built and designed for 200 mph?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

Now I have real concerns about the effectiveness of the defuser at wot. Ford engineers spent many hours in the wind tunnel making sure our car was properly balanced. By changing the splitter, defuser and wicker one can alter this balance. I received a heads up for a top Ford engineer who worked on the team.

Did they relay something to the effect, that a larger defuser would create more down force and thereby negatively effect the balance? or was more that the Stillen defuser is untested and therefor questionable?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Did they relay something to the effect, that a larger defuser would create more down force and thereby negatively effect the balance? or was more that the Stillen defuser is untested and therefor questionable?

Yes Mark,
The balance of the FGT was designed in wind tunnel tests plus on the track. The question about the Stillen defuser is distortion at high speed, and also balance of the car, everything on the car is designed to work together, the spliter, the wicker and defuser, change one and you need to consider changing all.
If you are just running on the roads, I would suspect you will have NO issues or concerns. However, if you plan to explore the capabilities of the FGT be very careful about modifications that have not been carefully tested.
My source is from the original design and engineering team. There was a good reason why things where done in a certain way.
Cheers,
daniel

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Now we have two who always obeys the laws of man and nature! :skep :wink

Incidentally, very nice work BlackICE.