Pulled the Mac...easy peasy

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
This post may be redundant, but at least it is another success story. :biggrin

After studying all the threads on pulling the McIntosh head unit, I got the tools from Torrie (thanks man!), blue taped and toweled around the radio, and, with some trepidation, approached the silver trim pieces. There was absolutely no way the tool would get a grip. Zero clearance. Then I tried my tiniest screwdriver and they popped right out. The pull tools slid in and the Mac slid out. No drama.

Previously, I tried the blind man's feely method, but that was a no go. Now that I see the plugs, I'm thinking the blind man method may be possible with luck and perseverence.

Here's a link to a few pics. http://photo.garyjean.com/p31149722 You can see the red and white RCA plugs and the tiny screwdriver. The plugs were taped to the harness, which goes into the bottom left of the head unit as you're looking from the front.

My number one music source is the exhaust and blower, but occasionally I like the iPod.

Time invested: 5 min taping. 5 min attempting to use the bezel tool. 2 min pulling the head unit.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
No problem ! I told you it was a snap.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am going to replace my McIntosh with a different unit. I put a Kenwood 852 in my daily driver and really like it. In order of importance

1. iPod control from the head, with a USB plug on the front face (not my choice, my wife's)
1. (Tie) HD Radio. I love it. I had it in my Mustang via an add on to the Ford radio, but on this one it's built in.
3. Bluetooth with full cell phone sync and control. Going to Vegas and no talking on a hand phone any more. Clarity on the bluetooth is simply awesome. Better than the phone.

All I need to find is the socket to wire to the radio's naked harness. The Best Buy guy (who has been doing radios for double digit years) has a "splice it" circuit. That would allow the Kenwood to connect while preserving the original Ford/McIntosh connection intact, but I think the McIntosh, while cool and sounds great, is behind the times.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...but I think the McIntosh, while cool and sounds great, is behind the times.

I think the McIntosh was behind the times in 2005. It does sound good though. Like a good $1k system.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Unfortunately, the purpose of the Mac was retro look, not function.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Im confused, so are you able to hook up an ipod to rear of the mac head unit??

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Yes...many threads on this. You need a cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMR203-Stereo-Inch-Dual/dp/B000068O3A

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You can hook an iPod to the two RCA jacks. It does not give any control over the iPod - it's just "speakers", nor does it charge it. The Kenwood (and a gazillion others) you plug the iPod in via USB (and it charges) and control of the iPod is transferred to the radio head unit.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Yes...many threads on this. You need a cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMR203-Stereo-Inch-Dual/dp/B000068O3A

You can also use this cable to tie in a portable XM/Sirius satellite receiver or other device with a 1/8" stereo output jack.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I must be the only one who thinks the sound quality out of an ipod (or any MP3 type device) is abysmal.

Yeah convenient to store 5,000 songs but gawd the terrible digital compression and pre-ringing. :frown

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I must be the only one who thinks the sound quality out of an ipod (or any MP3 type device) is abysmal.

Yeah convenient to store 5,000 songs but gawd the terrible digital compression and pre-ringing. :frown

Well, my mp3s are recorded at better than CD quality, so...for me at least...running my iPod through a good amp and speakers is quite nice. I have to admit, I have no idea what pre-ringing is.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Same here.
I plug my iPhone into the cable connected to the pigtails in my Mac and the GT cockpit is on fire!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Pre-ringing is the harsh high end screech that sounds like a piece of recorded music that is preceeding it's proper place in the arrangement (my layperson description). I am just trying to describe my perception.

What DAC are you using to make your MP3s sound better than a CD? Maybe that is what I am missing.

I am not arguing about the Mac, I love mine, I dislike the low's and the highs being cut off prematurely and the dreaded pre-ringing I hear in most of the MP3 recordings I have heard.

As written by someone more knowledeable;

The audio quality of an MP3 file is almost always inferior to its sonic equivalent on CD. The size of an MP3 file is much smaller and therefore loses more data contained in the master recording than a CD

Read more: CD Sound Vs. MP3 Sound
| eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5755878_cd-sound-vs_-mp3-sound.html#ixzz21EUCKiv8

I did find arguments saying they were equal but for me they aren't. Just my opinion, thought more heard the same thing.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Maybe I answered my question...I am the only one.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
dup post

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My old ears aren't what they used to be. 10 years ago I made some test on MP3 encodings and depending on the bitrate used some MP3 were definitely worst. At 64kbps it was bad, at 128kbps I would say it was noticeably worst, and at 256kbps it was almost as good as the CDs they were made from to my ears. Now 10 year later I bet if I ran the same test 128kbps would sound good since my hearing is much worst now. I don't have any need for high end tweeters I probably can't hear anything above 12K!

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
What DAC are you using to make your MP3s sound better than a CD?

LAME at VBR. I wouldn't say the mp3s sound better than CDs, but I cannot tell the difference. Like BlackICE, I doubt I can hear anything above 10k-12k.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Could be the recordings I am listening too.

Even on DVDs, there are excellent recordings and piss poor recordings (or mastering etc).

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
With high quality encoding and sufficient bitrate, I can hear no degradation in quality of audio using mp3 files in an automotive environment. At home, in a well damped room and very high quality reproduction equipment, I appreciate the smoothness of vinyl LPs vs ANY digital format, especially on solo vocals and instruments, IE pure tones. I could never hear or appreciate the difference in the car. Just want some good driving tunes. There is a time and a place for both I suppose.

I have grown attached to the retro look of the Mac head unit and find I like the system much better now that the sub is relocated.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
With your hearing, the ability to spell or type must be going as well.