New owner has questions and has needs

06GTAM

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2024
New member to the club
Just acquired my first GT. An 06 and have some questions.
1- where is the best place to buy a replacement splitter
2- does anyone have an issue that the light stays on showing a door is open when in fact it’s not
3- where is the best place to get a replacement spare key and fob
4- what after market exhaust is recommended to get a little more noise out of the car
5- what tires are recommended?
6- anyone have or know of a full set of books/manuals for sale
Thank you

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
New member to the club
Just acquired my first GT. An 06 and have some questions.
1- where is the best place to buy a replacement splitter
2- does anyone have an issue that the light stays on showing a door is open when in fact it’s not
3- where is the best place to get a replacement spare key and fob
4- what after market exhaust is recommended to get a little more noise out of the car
5- what tires are recommended?
6- anyone have or know of a full set of books/manuals for sale
Thank you
1. Someone posted here that they are on eBay but the person is no longer welcome here and besides, it's cheaper from the dealer and are in stock. It's best to buy it from your local dealer instead of one of the internet parts places (Tasca is the best) because the package trips "size rates" from UPS and Fedex and probably exceeds what the price differential is from the local dealer. Check both.

But why? Unless it is broken and not just scuffed, you're going to scuff up a new one too. Same applies to the rear diffusers. And chances are you'll never compete in a concourse show.

3. Dealer If you only have one key it has to be programmed by the dealer. My dealer had to order them (and that was 12 years ago) so call in advance. Give them your VIN because when you say "Ford GT" they hear "Mustang GT" and it's not interchangeable.

4. The Borla exhaust (formerly the Ford Racing exhaust) is still made by Borla. Other combinations of X and H pipes are discussed at great length here. Search can be your friend.

5. Bridgestones. You really should read old topics. Tires and batteries are the most common topics and there are many. Search can be your friend. Also, you should probably just get a new battery, Optima Group 25 red top from Auto Zone, etc. The Ford battery is just an optima with a Ford label. Literally. Someone sells labels although if you care you can carefully transfer the old one. It doesn't matter since it's buried under the Frunk liner anyway.

6. Monitor eBay. The reality is that the people here are hoarders :) but represent maybe 10% of the total Ford GT owners so you're unlikely to find one here. But stuff like that shows up on eBay. Similarly, if you are in any way a do it yourself-er you should try to acquire the (no longer in print) CD service manual from Helm, Inc. (Print copies are even rarer).
Edit: I was looking at Helm for another reason (just thought of something) and they have the "Owners manual" for $50. I don't know if it's just the book or if it is in the original case. If you need it for reference and not originality try here:

PS. You should contact "dbk" by PM to get your status updated to owner. Then post pics of your car!

Enjoy the car! It's a great driver plus will rip up a track like no other. Be careful though, lots of power and if you still have the ancient Goodyear hockey pucks sudden acceleration in a straight line or almost any acceleration when NOT going straight can cause the rear end to break loose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 06GTAM

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
1. Someone posted here that they are on eBay but the person is no longer welcome here and besides, it's cheaper from the dealer and are in stock. It's best to buy it from your local dealer instead of one of the internet parts places because the package trips "size rates" from UPS and Fedex and probably exceeds what the price differential is from the local dealer. Check both.

3. Dealer If you only have one key it has to be programmed by the dealer. My dealer had to order them (and that was 12 years ago) so call in advance. Give them your VIN because when you say "Ford GT" they hear "Mustang GT" and it's not interchangeable.

4. The Borla exhaust (formerly the Ford Racing exhaust) is still made by Borla. Other combinations of X and H pipes are discussed at great length here. Search can be your friend.

5. Bridgestones. You really should read old topics. Tires and batteries are the most common topics and there are many. Search can be your friend.

6. Monitor eBay. The reality is that the people here are hoarders :) but represent maybe 10% of the total Ford GT owners, and stuff like that shows up on eBay. Similarly, if you are in any way a do it yourself-er you should try to acquire the (no longer in print) CD service manual (print copies are even rarer).

PS. You should contact "dbk" by PM to get your status updated to owner. Then post pics of your car!

Enjoy the car! It's a great driver plus will rip up a track like no other. Be careful though, lots of power and if you still have the ancient Goodyear hockey pucks sudden acceleration in a straight line or almost any acceleration when NOT going straight can cause the rear end to break loose.
Everything Tony said, but #2 is yes and it is likely the rear clamshell that is not fully latched. Pull up on the air intake on each side, you’ll likely find one of the latches not firmly closed. Most of the time I drop/push that clamshell harder than you might think is necessary to seat it properly.
i went through many of the items you mentioned when I acquired my car in October last year. The forum members are dyamite helpful. PM with any questions and Congrats and Welcome!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Everything Tony said, but #2 is yes and it is likely the rear clamshell that is not fully latched. Pull up on the air intake on each side, you’ll likely find one of the latches not firmly closed. Most of the time I drop/push that clamshell harder than you might think is necessary to seat it properly.
i went through many of the items you mentioned when I acquired my car in October last year. The forum members are dyamite helpful. PM with any questions and Congrats and Welcome!

Thanks! Yes, this refreshed my memory. The "door open" light can come on from EITHER the rear clamshell or Frunk lid. So many people treat these thinks like it's a Ferrari or made from gold and set the thing down and then "push" to latch. Bolderdash. Bring the clamshell down to 4-6 inches and release it. It'll drop and seat. Same with the Frunk lid except not as much height. But exactly how much height will depend on the age remaining holding force of the gas struts. More "up", more drop...

Also a consumable, only intermittently available from Ford but a member here has a replacement. (Edit: Here I was referring to the clamshell/frunk struts as being a wear item that need occasional replacement, for the struts, depending on how many car shows you go to :) )

Last edited:

06GTAM

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2024
1. Someone posted here that they are on eBay but the person is no longer welcome here and besides, it's cheaper from the dealer and are in stock. It's best to buy it from your local dealer instead of one of the internet parts places (Tasca is the best) because the package trips "size rates" from UPS and Fedex and probably exceeds what the price differential is from the local dealer. Check both.

But why? Unless it is broken and not just scuffed, you're going to scuff up a new one too. Same applies to the rear diffusers. And chances are you'll never compete in a concourse show.

5. Bridgestones. You really should read old topics. Tires and batteries are the most common topics and there are many. Search can be your friend. Also, you should probably just get a new battery, Optima Group 25 red top from Auto Zone, etc. The Ford battery is just an optima with a Ford label. Literally. Someone sells labels although if you care you can carefully transfer the old one. It doesn't matter since it's buried under the Frunk liner anyway.

6. Monitor eBay. The reality is that the people here are hoarders :) but represent maybe 10% of the total Ford GT owners so you're unlikely to find one here. But stuff like that shows up on eBay. Similarly, if you are in any way a do it yourself-er you should try to acquire the (no longer in print) CD service manual from Helm, Inc. (Print copies are even rarer).
Edit: I was looking at Helm for another reason (just thought of something) and they have the "Owners manual" for $50. I don't know if it's just the book or if it is in the original case. If you need it for reference and not originality try here:

Thank you so much for your time and detailed response! I truly appreciate it

06GTAM

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2024
Great suggestion and based on the response to my first post, I would agree and feel grateful to now be a part of this community

06GTAM

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2024
Thanks! Yes, this refreshed my memory. The "door open" light can come on from EITHER the rear clamshell or Frunk lid. So many people treat these thinks like it's a Ferrari or made from gold and set the thing down and then "push" to latch. Bolderdash. Bring the clamshell down to 4-6 inches and release it. It'll drop and seat. Same with the Frunk lid except not as much height. But exactly how much height will depend on the age remaining holding force of the gas struts. More "up", more drop...

Also a consumable, only intermittently available from Ford but a member here has a replacement.
Thank you! I’m definitely not a Ferrari guy! Glad to give it a proper “push” lol

Sorry, didn’t understand the “consumable” comment; was this in reference to the battery/tires?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thank you! I’m definitely not a Ferrari guy! Glad to give it a proper “push” lol

Sorry, didn’t understand the “consumable” comment; was this in reference to the battery/tires?

I call them consumables. I think perhaps a better description would be "wear items", tires, batteries, struts, oil, etc.

Ahhh! Another thing. Depending on service records, you should probably replace EVERY liquid thing in the car. Oil, coolant (both engine and intercooler), transmission, brake fluid, etc. If it "runs" put new stuff in. Also the oil pump belt.

You don't say where you are. If you're close to the Detroit area you might consider having your car drop shipped to The GT Guy for a refresh. For west coast, "nota4re". Dealers depending on whether they have a 05-06 trained GT tech, but the thing about the guys mentioned earlier is they live this car and any Ford techs may not have seen one for years.

06GTAM

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2024
I call them consumables. I think perhaps a better description would be "wear items", tires, batteries, struts, oil, etc.

Ahhh! Another thing. Depending on service records, you should probably replace EVERY liquid thing in the car. Oil, coolant (both engine and intercooler), transmission, brake fluid, etc. If it "runs" put new stuff in. Also the oil pump belt.

You don't say where you are. If you're close to the Detroit area you might consider having your car drop shipped to The GT Guy for a refresh. For west coast, "nota4re". Dealers depending on whether they have a 05-06 trained GT tech, but the thing about the guys mentioned earlier is they live this car and any Ford techs may not have seen one for years.
Got it. Thank you so so much. All great advice

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Another thing you should check on. The transaxle bolts fail and if haven't been replaced, need to be. Have your Ford dealer (or someone with connections if you know someone) check the Ford system for warranty and other work that has been done. The Ford kit may not be available but someone here does make one. It was NOT a recall but a service bulletin so only those affected by having a wheel stop spinning were told about it (figure that out why not a recall, seems safety related to me). Search for "axle bolt"

06GTAM

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2024
Another thing you should check on. The transaxle bolts fail and if haven't been replaced, need to be. Have your Ford dealer (or someone with connections if you know someone) check the Ford system for warranty and other work that has been done. The Ford kit may not be available but someone here does make one. It was NOT a recall but a service bulletin so only those affected by having a wheel stop spinning were told about it (figure that out why not a recall, seems safety related to me). Search for "axle bolt"
Wow. Shocked it’s not a recall item. Once again thank for all this valuable information

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Welcome to the club!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow. Shocked it’s not a recall item. Once again thank for all this valuable information
And while you're checking the Ford system also check to see that the air bag recalls were done. You can check online with your VIN.

06GTAM

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2024
And while you're checking the Ford system also check to see that the air bag recalls were done. You can check online with your VIN.
Thank you. My understanding is that the air bag recall was done but I’ll double check.

Tomcat

GT Owner
My GT has a classic (I think no longer available) Heffner H-pipe...and I LOVE it! My understanding GTGuys X-pipe is the modern equivalent of sound.

Last edited:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
In this Jay Leno vid with Chief Designer Camilo Pardo "Inside Look At Designing The 2005 Ford GT - Jay Leno’s Garage", Camilo shows how to close the clam shell, difference on mine being that I have to slam it much harder than that, or one or both latches don't latch and the light comes on

06GTAM

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2024
My GT has a classic (I think no longer available) Heffner H-pipe...and I LOVE it! My understanding GTGuys X-pipe is the modern equivalent of sound.
Thank you

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Congrats & welcome i'm less than a year old as a new owner here myself ,tons of great info on the forum & very responsive members.Enjoy & what color is it & what state are you in.