Michelins for 05-06 GTs?

I've seen two GTs recently on BaT with Michelin rears installed. I hadn't heard that appropriate tires other than Bridgestones are available. Are they? Or are will they fit but not quite right?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Michelin does not make a correct sized tire for the GT. You can get them, but they are narrow and have a different sidewall size. We tried this years ago and begged Michelin to help us out but it fell on deaf ears. Niche market.

Reactions: analogdesigner

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
David: the sidewalls are significantly shorter than the original Goodyears or the Bridgestone Potenzas, thus the tire looks smaller in the wheel well and the speedometer reads higher. Even the Bridgestones are a little shorter than the Goodyears (about 1/4"), but they are the only game in town unless you change to custom wheels like HRE's or some such and go to 20" rear tires. If you do that, it opens up the number of rear tires of the correct diameter & circumference considerably, such as Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
345-30-20 is the correct height for a 20'' wheel but they have nothing in 19's. you need to have a 28'' tire to be oem..

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I put Forgeline 19’s and 20’s on with Michelin super-sports
Reality is if you go to 19th and 20s there’s lots of options
But I do believe the Bridgestone are an excellent tire on the stock rim set up

Reactions: HNS

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Thanks for the tire input. Could my 19 year old tires blow any time now...? What tire brand / size should I purchase?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Thanks for the tire input. Could my 19 year old tires blow any time now...? What tire brand / size should I purchase?
I recently sold our 2006 Cobalt bow rider boat we barely ever used, with tandem axle and original tires, always stored inside, never outside or in the sun, and the tires looked perfect from the outside, but the 2nd time the buyer trailered the boat for a weekend vacation, only 20 miles from home one of the treads flew off, then a 2nd one, then 3rd and then the last one, all on the same trip and within a short time of each other. He said they still held air but the treads were gone - Yikes. I wouldn't gamble with tires that old on something I cared about or that could put people at risk. 6-8 years is prob the max for me. Maybe 10, in a limited use, no performance situation.

You should get the Bridgestones. Scroll down to Tires: https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/fgt-knowledge-base.38620/

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Seeing an article like this almost gives hope (new Michelin tire for the Porsche CGT)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I can see Ford doing this for us. Not.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I can see Ford doing this for us. Not.

I would be thrilled if Ford worked with Michelin to create Cup 2 tires for us (in 265 & 345 widths) and they were not free.

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
For those that actually drive their cars, just upgrade the wheels.

20221229_103606 (1).jpg20241019_101820.jpg50-DSC04617.jpg

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
How long do those PS Cup2's last? In what kind of driving?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I just can’t get over the short sidewall in those.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016

View attachment 70449View attachment 70450View attachment 70451
Hot, Blue and Righteous

Reactions: Ravage

ScottK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime

View attachment 70449View attachment 70450View attachment 70451

Wow. Beauty!!!!

Reactions: Ravage

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
How long do those PS Cup2's last? In what kind of driving?
Not too aggressive and but not babied in any way. They've lasted but would like to try the PSS5 next time. Cups really fling the stones. Both far superior to the Goodyears.