GM Response to Corvette Killer

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The mid engine Corvette rumor has taken a back seat but still floats around.

Were they just waiting for the new Ford to kick it loose?

Does anyone think it will happen?

(I'll answer my own question: I do not.)

dbk

Admin
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes, it's definitely happening.

I think they had very little information on what Ford was doing and the only reason it isn't done is because they simply aren't ready with it. GM is as nimble as a Naval Destroyer doing a u-turn. They take time to do stuff. I thought there was an off-chance they could have it ready this week but it's looking pretty unlikely.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A comparable Corvette will also factor into Ford pricing. Chevy makes the Corvette as a strong performer but sacrifice quality on interior and body fit. It saves them money and the result is the top performing car for the money. A mid-engine Vette will be a killer in the segment. Ford would have to behave accordingly.

Again, I'll point to TAM and segment pricing to take market from someone else. The US doesn't has only had one car in this segment (the Ford GT). It is certainly one of the best in class in '05-06, and Ford has advanced theirs to keep current with technology. Mindful of that pricing will be key to taking market from the others who have owned that market for a long time.

It will certainly add complexity to the thought process.

Last edited:

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
SRT (Viper) team have lots of work to do...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
GM is as nimble as a Naval Destroyer doing a u-turn.

All they would have to do is display a concept mock up at the next show. That would turn a tizzy.

We probably won't speculate too much HERE about what that car might look like. :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Yeah, update resumes.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

FIAT/Chrysler were coming back from much worse shape from Mgmt to floor than F/GM