Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
GPS
A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that someone she knew had
their car broken into while they were at a football game. Their car was
parked in the lot which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially
allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included a garage door
remote control, some money and a GPS unit which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard.

When the victims got home, they found that their house had been
ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen.

The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house.. They then
used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean up the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

MOBILE PHONE
This lady has now changed how she lists her names on
her mobile phone after her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet...etc... was stolen.

20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling
him what had happened, hubby says 'I received your text asking about our pin number and I replied a little while ago.'

When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the
money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell
phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin number.
Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.

Moral:
Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your
contact list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Shithead, Dad, Mom, etc.... And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back. Also, when you're being texted by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great stuff, I am deleting shithead 1 through 20,171.
The GPS thing is scary...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It's the same ol' story. Never leave ANYTHING sitting in plain sight in a parked car no matter what it is. Some pukes will break in just to steal a pack of gum if they fancy it.

Believe it or not, the law up here actually use to require (don't know if they still DO...I would certainly HOPE not) that your REGISTRATION be posted on your sun visor so that your name and address were clearly DISPLAYED (for the PD)!!! Oh, ya! Right! You can bet I have always religiously followed THAT requirement! :rofl:rofl:rofl

(Shoot! I even have electrician's tape over my car's VIN numbers!:rofl)

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
The GPS thing is scary...

you censored me on something similar to the word above. This is a family type website remember?

:box::slap

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
(Shoot! I even have electrician's tape over my car's VIN numbers!:rofl)[/quote said:
Just keep the garage door closed and nobody will ever see your vin number....

Yes, I could not resist making this sarcastic crack, I am working on my taxes, and needed a change of pace.:lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
you censored me on something similar to the word above. This is a family type website remember?

:box::slap

Yes, I did, when you move up to Lifetime membership you get to once in a while use a word that is not fit for the dinner table, but risk running afoul of the moderator never knowing what time of the month his clock is ticking on.... Or how many other posts annoyed him before you become the lamb taken to slaughter:lol

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Yes, I did, when you move up to Lifetime membership you get to once in a while use a word that is not fit for the dinner table, but risk running afoul of the moderator never knowing what time of the month his clock is ticking on.... Or how many other posts annoyed him before you become the lamb taken to slaughter:lol

:rolleyes

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, I always took my GPS with me, but only 'cause i didn't want it stolen, not because of this, I didn't even think of that :eek! As for my blackberry, it has a password, so I don't *think* that someone could access that info. Of course those dang theivin' types, they do think of some pretty creative stuff to get into our lives! :thumbsdow Too bad they don't use their wits for good instead of evil......

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I'm plugging Bony's home address into my GPS and marking it HOME and I'm changing my address label to POLICE STATION

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry, but sounds like an urban legend.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
It does sound like an urban legend so I checked Snopes.com. They say it is "partly true". Sorry, I should have checked it out before I posted it.

Also, I apologize for the s___head insertion. I forgot about little GTers.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
In San Antonio, my son was hit 3 weeks ago. First was GPS and lap top stolen from his pickup at lunch. 6 days later, his house is broken into at 3AM. 5 days after that, his truck is hit again. Cops have zero leads except for pawn shop records which will prove a dead end.

Now the house has an alram, a loaded 45 and the truck stays empty. And, Texas law supports use of the 45.

Nothing new but a young kid got educated the hard way.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just keep the garage door closed and nobody will ever see your vin number....

Aaaaaaaah, but, unfortunately, Bonymeister, the "DRIVERS" do need to sally forth into 'the great beyond' from time to time...so...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It does sound like an urban legend so I checked Snopes.com. They say it is "partly true". Sorry, I should have checked it out before I posted it.

'Matters not. One would be wise to pay attention to the points made in that tale anyway (whether it SPECIFICALLY happened or not).

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
:lol

:lol :lol :lol

I'll do the same :biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I just have my home address in the "Favorites" area, and "Home" is the local Police Station, since the GPS is hard wired to my truck's power system

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"Now the house has an alram, a loaded 45 "...
Ever notice how many forum members pack a .45? Great minds DO think alike!:biggrin:lol:rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ever notice how many forum members pack a .45? Great minds DO think alike!:biggrin:lol:rofl

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

+5 (of assorted makes and models).

The last 9mm I owned I gave to my mother...

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
+5 (of assorted makes and models).

The last 9mm I owned I gave to my mother...

+1

and

+1

best ammo for .45 IMHO (personal defense)
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=f2052c19978003cb6085adead52ee5b6

200gr for me please. :biggrin