Creaking noise when going over bumps

DanM

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 31, 2006
Stillwater, MN
I am looking for some feedback if anyone has had a problem with a creaking noise from the passenger side when driving over bumpy roads. It started last year and has gotten worse. I have a 2019 model. It is currently at Ford service in Minnesota and they are trying to figure it out. Here is a video over a really bumpy road.

Thanks.

Dan

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha, they need to change one of the nuts on the torsion bar and retorque it to a different number. This is a well known problem. Chips was very loud but unless he had his hearing aid up all the way, he didn't notice. Tell your techs to call Multimatic or Italian Joe at Milliken. It is a simple fix. Hope to see you in Scottsdale.

Reactions: Ed Sims

DanM

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 31, 2006
Stillwater, MN
Thanks for the quick response. I will pass it on

I had registered for Scottsdale but work gets in the way so I backed out. Next time I hope.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Honestly that sounds more like a plastic wiring connector came loose and is rattling against the substrate of the IP.
I am pretty sure we corrected the creaking noise with torsion bar shims and new nuts
in production beginning with the 2018 MY vehicles .
My 2017 had both issues and both are now corrected.
Certainly contact Joe at Milliken would be step number one.
Andy (AJB)

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
AJB is right....my 2019 had similar issues...

1727238123359.png

Reactions: Stef and Ed Sims

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The techs at Sanderson Ford in Phoenix discovered the cause and possible fix for this problem on Chip's car. The very day I was at Multimatic they had just figured it out. My car was already down the line so it did not get the fix. The knocking started in the spring on the driver's side. I let the local GT service dealer know what it was and took it in for the fix. Like AJB said, the torsion bar on the drivers side had to be loosened , a spacer put in and then re-torqued to a different number. The tech was very cautious and ended up doing the adjustment 3 times talking to Multimatic every time. They had the car about 10 days but it worked perfectly and I have had no repeat in 5 years and 10,000 miles. Chip posted it here on the Forum someplace because I remember him commenting on how Peggy complained about a knocking he couldn't hear. It is a pretty easy fix. I was at Multimatic the beginning of August, 2018 and my VIN is J169. Car was delivered at the beginning of September, 2018 to give you a time frame. I hope this helps. Too bad you can't come. I will make up a bunch of ugly stories about you to keep people amused.

Reactions: Ed Sims

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am looking for some feedback if anyone has had a problem with a creaking noise from the passenger side when driving over bumpy roads. It started last year and has gotten worse. I have a 2019 model. It is currently at Ford service in Minnesota and they are trying to figure it out. Here is a video over a really bumpy road.

Thanks.

Dan
Definitely the rocker arm nuts... had the exact same noise.. Sounded like a popcorn popper LOL.. the new nut design was finalized at the end of 2019.. My 2017 was the first car to get the new nut design

Attachments

• 20191030_113028.jpg
    20191030_113028.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20191030_113149.jpg
    20191030_113149.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: DanM

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Fixed by Joe under warranty along with a few other issues. First 2 as delivered and last 2 fixed. No issues since around 6200 miles.

Attachments

• rockernut original.JPG
    rockernut original.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 8
  • rockernutoff.jpg
    rockernutoff.jpg
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 6
  • nut and shim.JPG
    nut and shim.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 7
  • rocernut fix.JPG
    rocernut fix.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: extrap

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Had the same issue fixed just prior to the warranty expiring with the redesigned 'rocker nuts' right after Rally 13. The drive from Socal to Scottsdale and back home exposed a few other minor items and were taken care of as well.
I never noticed any creaking noises but the tech said it was just starting to and would get worse eventually.
Good thing I took it in before the warranty expiring.
Car runs and drives great!

The old parts make nice paper weights :).

rick458

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2011
How do you get at the rocker arm nuts?: Talked to my tech and said have to be accessed from inside the car. I have a 2020 that has a creaking noise coming from the passenger side dash area.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
How do you get at the rocker arm nuts?: Talked to my tech and said have to be accessed from inside the car. I have a 2020 that has a creaking noise coming from the passenger side dash area.

Yes access is from inside.
They have to take the dash out.
Basically your car will temporarily look like a jigsaw puzzle.

It looks really scary but the NFGT was designed for this type of
disassembly/assembly as needed
procedure for repairs etc.