coolant issue?

rick458

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2011
I have a 2020 with 6500 miles. Since day 1 I've noticed a strong coolant odor when the motor is hot. The car uses approx. 1 pint of coolant every 1000 miles or so. There is no coolant under the car. Had it to the dealer and tested the system and said no problem was evident. I dropped the pan and notice a rusty staining around the turbo coolant lines. Could the loss be at the coolant/ turbo connections? Has anybody else had coolant loss issues?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I don't have a NFGT, but based on my experience chasing coolant leaks for 50+ years on many cars, I am nearly certain that you will find a streak of dried coolant from the leak somewhere, a dried whitish stain on the belly pan, or the cap on the coolant reservoir is not sealing and some of it is evaporating away.

If you see evidence of leakage at the turbo connections, try tightening the hose clamps or fittings. If it has hose clamps, it only takes 1/2 screwdriver turn or so.

Reactions: dreimer

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I have the same odor on mine (2019 Carbon Series) and was told it was a characteristic of the cars due to location of intercoolers near driver’s door. Primarily noticed odor upon exiting vehicle after car has reached operating temp.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ
Off topic a little, but does anyone have an idea of what the shelf life of sealed original factory coolant would be?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I have a 2020 with 6500 miles. Since day 1 I've noticed a strong coolant odor when the motor is hot. The car uses approx. 1 pint of coolant every 1000 miles or so. There is no coolant under the car. Had it to the dealer and tested the system and said no problem was evident. I dropped the pan and notice a rusty staining around the turbo coolant lines. Could the loss be at the coolant/ turbo connections? Has anybody else had coolant loss issues?
I've had the same issue from day one.Mild oder. Slight fluid loss...19000 miles on my 2017. We tried pressure test , vacuum tests... I changed the coolant tank cap.. I just top off the tank every few months..

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I have the same odor on mine (2019 Carbon Series) and was told it was a characteristic of the cars due to location of intercoolers near driver’s door. Primarily noticed odor upon exiting vehicle after car has reached operating temp.
Whoever told you that is just silly . They are air-to-air...there's nothing that leaks out of the intercoolers.....