Children's cancer event - spun my GT

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Yesterday, at my local track, Rocky Mountain Motorsports, up in Carstairs, Alberta, we put on an annual fundraiser event for Children's Cancer. A couple months ago I was asked to bring my 06 GT to help with the event and my response was "hell ya!"

There were 23 super cars on track. We all brought our cars out to take cancer survivors, and the families of cancer fighters, for a ride while helping them forget about their struggles and give them an unforgettable day. It was a nice morning with some sun but the weatherman was calling for rain and possible thunderstorms in the afternoon. There was a NFGT, 2 06 FGT's (including mine), 5 McLeans, Lambos, tons of Porsches, 1 Dodge Viper, a Ferrari F8, a and a ton of of other amazing cars, all out there for the cause.

I was scheduled for 5 sessions in the morning, taking out survivors of cancer and the family members of those who lost their loved ones. One of the tough ones was a young guy, 19 years old, who had lost his brother, 7 years prior, to brain cancer. Super nice kid, but damn, his brother died when he was 13 years old. We talked cars and we talked about his brother while I turned laps.

The morning session was amazing and we broke for lunch around noon. We then headed out for afternoon sessions where all the drivers were giving 4 lap rides to people who had paid a couple hundred of dollars to ride in their favorite cars while helping raise funds for a great cause.

I had another 5 sessions scheduled for the afternoon and I was enjoying meeting, and chatting with my passengers. As the afternoon continued on, it started raining pretty good but all drivers continued on with the event. It was an amazing event.

As we drove late into the event, around 3:30 pm, I had gone out with 3 rides and had 2 more to more to go. It was raining pretty hard at this point but it was so much fun, all of us just kept going out to put smiles on faces. I was getting a bit tired so I started to remind myself to take it easy. I had gotten up at 4:00 am and the wife and I had driven 1 1/2 hours to get to the track at 8:30 am. At one point I thought to myself, perhaps I may not be so good at the 24 hours of Le Mans, but today was a day to give back.

When I took out my second last ride that afternoon, I again, reminded myself to take it easy. We're all out here to put smiles on faces.....right! The first two laps were non eventful and then I started my 3rd lap. I sped down the main straight, at only 70% of usual track pace due to the rain, but unfortunately I touched the inside curb on turn 1, which is a no no. It's a huge no no,...... and especially in the rain. The track was slick, I touched that inside curb, my car got light and then it started coming around on me...... really fast.

Damn..... as I was 180 degrees backwards, looking at the concrete barriers wiz by, and I thought, "SHIT!!!! I shouldn't be out here with 12 year old tires (I'm running Bridgestone's....... not Goodyears.....I may be dumb for running 12 year old tires but at least I'm not running Goodyears.....I'm not totally stupid :ROFLMAO:) but I'm sure glad I paid up my insurance policy 3 days ago". :LOL:

Honestly, I wasn't thinking much other than, "how in the almighty F did I clip that inside curb, in wet conditions, and spin my prized possession, with a passenger.......... you dumb ass!!!" As soon as it started, it was over. I had spun a full 360 degrees and the 2 cars that were on track, right behind me, managed to slow down and miss me. I had come to a full stop, stalled out, facing forward on track and I didn't touch a freakin thing. I'm the man! I made a joke to my passenger that "you certainly had the most exciting ride of the day" and then I glanced down to check my seat to see if I had shit myself. I had not. I restarted my car and continued on with my last lap...... at a very slow pace. I had to give my passenger his full 4 lap experience........ which he most certainly got full value.

So ya. A kids cancer event is easily the best day of the year and the fact that I didn't totally destroy my GT was icing on the cake.

QSS

Attachments

• 20240914_083621.jpg
    20240914_083621.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240914_091550.jpg
    20240914_091550.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240914_114603.jpg
    20240914_114603.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240914_114658.jpg
    20240914_114658.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240914_121749.jpg
    20240914_121749.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Good job! (y) ... and woe, close one!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I am surprised because here in St. Louis they only allow parade laps with kids in the car. Looks like a good track to run on because there is a lot of open runoff. And unless Canada is somehow different, insurance does not cover track events.

Reactions: twobjshelbys

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Interesting thought. I drove my car to Pittsburgh GT 40 reunion. I participated in “ parade laps” to raise money for local charity. Fun track , speeds “ limited” to 80 mph. No passing. If there was an accident ( there wasn’t), wonder how insurance companies would treat it!

Cobraguy

GT Owner
You can purchase special track insurance for track days only as a stand alone/add on coverage from most brokers. Alternatively your standard policy will likely cover you on the track only if you have a certified instructor in the passenger seat….other wise no coverage for “participating in any competitive events or being present where a competitive event is taking place”.
This has been my experience in Alberta.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I shouldn't be out here with 12 year old tires (I'm running Bridgestone's....... not Goodyears.....I may be dumb for running 12 year old tires but at least I'm not running Goodyears.....I'm not totally stupid :ROFLMAO:
Whoa--definitely, please change those tires! That contact patch is the only thing keeping you on the road. Remember this?

That said, glad you and your passenger are ok! (and also, Centennial White w/Blue stripes is the best spec!)

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Whoa--definitely, please change those tires! That contact patch is the only thing keeping you on the road. Remember this?

That said, glad you and your passenger are ok! (and also, Centennial White w/Blue stripes is the best spec!)
Yeah! What he said…well all but the white being best :)

Reactions: KennethClay

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would never take a passenger on a hot lap. Too many things can go wrong and almost all of them end up with them having every you own and more. Fun and feels good when it turns out well until it doesn't.

Glad it ended well but remember the pucker moment. They're bad enough when you're alone.

Ps. Rain. Bad.

Reactions: GKW05GT

Tomcat

GT Owner
I spun my GT at rollercoaster (Virginia International Raceway) without incident...BUT man that surprised me!

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
The cancer kids and cancer kid family members were in the morning sessions and my passenger, that afternoon, was an adult in his late 50's who was paying for a ride. It was a paid ride and funds for the ride were a donation to the kids cancer fund. Definitely not an excuse on my part but I was definitely not on a hot lap due to the rain that was coming down. Not even close to a hot lap. On a dry track, I'm normally down the main straight at 105 to 110 mph and then braking, heading into turn 1 at around 80 mph. Yesterday, when I spun my car, I'm sure I was was right around 60 to 65 mph heading into turn 1, which is pretty slow, all things considered. I was consciously taking it easy all day long especially with passengers and most definitely with the rain fall. All the other cars out there had all the nannies to help them in wet conditions. Me and my GT have nothing but a bit of shitty ABS and my driver skills, which was obviously lacking that afternoon.

What was unfortunate is that I was probably tired and somewhat stressed about the rainfall when I made a small error and touched that curb. Again, no excuse as I'm the man in charge. I guess I was was trying to make light of the situation and how quick these things can happen and how damn lucky I got. Even If I had smacked the wall, I think the major damage would have been to my car and my ego. At the speed I was at, I feel my passenger and I would have been relatively unscathed.

As for the insurance aspect, you really never know, do you. I had corresponded with my insurance company (Hagerty) two days prior to inform them that I was participating in this event. They clearly knew that I was going to be taking folks out for rides all day long. They had green lighted my participation in the event via emails. Ultimately, if there was an incident, and I damaged the car, who knows what would have happened.

As someone once said " I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky......". That's pretty much how my life has played out and Saturdays spin was no different. I'm gonna learn from the mistakes I made that day, make adjustments and move forward. That, and I'm heading back to the track on Wednesday, with my 2013 Boss 302S car, to redeem myself ;).

QSS