Check those Rear Axle Nuts

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We've had a pretty constant flow of GT's through the shop in the last few months. We are starting to routinely check the torque of the rear axle nuts and we are finding that at least 1 in 5 cars has either one or both rear nuts starting to loosen. That's a lot and warrants the creation of this post to recommend that you check these when you are doing any kind or routine maintenance of your 05-06 GT. You'll need to remove the rear wheel to see the nut. You will be able to see the small paint line on the nut and axle showing that the nut has been torqued. If these marks are NOT line up, then the nut is likely backing itself off. If you confirmed they are not aligned, the torque spec is 258 ft-lbs.

I snapped this picture today from a GT we picked up over the weekend for routine service. Passenger side axle nut was fine, but this driver's side one has backed off about 90-degrees.

IMG_0482.jpg

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I suppose there's a reason a safety pin wasn't utilized ... ?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I suppose there's a reason a safety pin wasn't utilized ... ?
yes, $.05

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
We've had a pretty constant flow of GT's through the shop in the last few months. We are starting to routinely check the torque of the rear axle nuts and we are finding that at least 1 in 5 cars has either one or both rear nuts starting to loosen. That's a lot and warrants the creation of this post to recommend that you check these when you are doing any kind or routine maintenance of your 05-06 GT. You'll need to remove the rear wheel to see the nut. You will be able to see the small paint line on the nut and axle showing that the nut has been torqued. If these marks are NOT line up, then the nut is likely backing itself off. If you confirmed they are not aligned, the torque spec is 258 ft-lbs.

I snapped this picture today from a GT we picked up over the weekend for routine service. Passenger side axle nut was fine, but this driver's side one has backed off about 90-degrees.

View attachment 70234
Ha, crazy you posted this today. I was going to post it today too. 3 of the last 4 I've worked on had at least one loose nut. But, I'll take your 258# and raise you to 295# and magically, the lines realign. Then put some Loctite 290 on. It's designed to wick in.

Attachments

• GT rotor.jpg
    GT rotor.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Petunia

Dec 25, 2023
Los Angeles
Hi - new to the car and the community. Just finishing a build on my own car. Checked the rear half shafts to hubs and the RR was a couple of degrees back from 258 Ft Lb / 350 Nm. The LR was OMG practically loose. Is there an updated higher torque? Only just aligned the car after resurrection. Smog next in CA. Can't wait after reading the posts - Dan

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Hi - new to the car and the community. Just finishing a build on my own car. Checked the rear half shafts to hubs and the RR was a couple of degrees back from 258 Ft Lb / 350 Nm. The LR was OMG practically loose. Is there an updated higher torque? Only just aligned the car after resurrection. Smog next in CA. Can't wait after reading the posts - Dan
295# on alldata and in 06 book. That took the one I did a week ago back to the marks, L and R sides.

Petunia

Dec 25, 2023
Los Angeles
Built a lot of collisions as a tech over the years and prefer OE bulletins. Alldata's pretty good though. Couldn't believe how loose the LR nut was. Going to get new in any event and re-check. Thx.