Buying a Nav for GT

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Hi:
I know several of you study products before buying, so let me ask you what the best Nav unit is that will fit good on a GT ?
Thanks,
Rock

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tom Tom!!!

I own serval nav units (Magellan, Garmin, Alpine, and Tom Tom) without question the best unit overall, and certainly the best for the GT is the Tom Tom. It is the smallest, easiest to use, best database, and fits perfectly under your mirror or next to the rear view mirror without obstructing your view. I used it in my newest GT this week and was VERY happy. It is also one of the most inexpensive units. It also has an internal battery, so you don't need to plug it into the socket all the time, has no external antenna (but has a provision for one), and no need to load maps ,etc. Go to Best Buys during one of their sales, I got mine for a mere $255 after discounts, and it is better than my $1500 unit.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I own serval nav units (Magellan, Garmin, Alpine, and Tom Tom) without question the best unit overall, and certainly the best for the GT is the Tom Tom. It is the smallest, easiest to use, best database, and fits perfectly under your mirror or next to the rear view mirror without obstructing your view. I used it in my newest GT this week and was VERY happy. It is also one of the most inexpensive units. It also has an internal battery, so you don't need to plug it into the socket all the time, has no external antenna (but has a provision for one), and no need to load maps ,etc. Go to Best Buys during one of their sales, I got mine for a mere $255 after discounts, and it is better than my $1500 unit.

I agree, Tom Tom 910

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I agree, Tom Tom 910

Bony what are you doing up so early? You watching those girls gone wild comercials again. :biggrin check out Panasonic Nav units. I will predict soon their will be some big advancements and price drops comming.

Tom

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Moderators work is never done Tom Tom :)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have a Nuvi that I swap around between vehicles, and even travel with (kicks the crap out of an "always lost"). It is super small, also has a battery. Had it over a year, use it almost every day. Would buy again in a heart beat.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
GPS for the GT

I just got a Magellan Maestro 4050. It has Voice Recognition, Traffic Alert and AAA POI's. I used it on the June 16 Malibu Cruse to get home from Bruce's home in Point Dume, Malibu, Ca.

AMB

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I am running the Garmin Nuvi 660. I swap it also between two vehicles. Love it. Super bright display. Relatively thin. Sold the Tom Tom, since the unit I had was thick in the back. Like a wedge. The Nuvi is flat.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I agree ... the Garvin nuvi 660 is a very nice NAV. It is currently on sale at Wal*Mart. usmcfred

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
Jvc Kd-nx5000

I had the JVC KD-NX5000 installed in the car (see thread by Enzo Btr). It is a radio replacement with Nav built in with NO flip up screen. I had an installer do it and it is very clean. The nav antenna and everything else are mounted under the dash so there are no wires or anything seen. It is WAY more expensive than some of the other solutions that folks have mentioned but it works for me. I didn't need to move the nav from car to car (the Prius has factory nav). I also got Bluetooth for my cell phone and an Ipod hook up. I know, I know some folks think it is sacrilege to listen to the radio in this car but I have done some long trips and it is very nice to have. The look is VERY clean since you don't have any wires, antenna, suction cups, cigarette adapter plugs, etc. The unit has about 1000 more features than I need, but I have figured out how to use the 5 I need.

Oh and it plays DVDs which for me is useless bells and whistles, but I took the DVD from the GT Year Book and leave it in the unit. Then when I am showing people the car, and they want to know how I came to like the car, or how I could buy it without a test drive, I play them the Ford GT “The One” commercial well they sit in the car. It clears it up for them.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I had the JVC KD-NX5000 installed in the car (see thread by Enzo Btr). It is a radio replacement with Nav built in with NO flip up screen. I had an installer do it and it is very clean. The nav antenna and everything else are mounted under the dash so there are no wires or anything seen. It is WAY more expensive than some of the other solutions that folks have mentioned but it works for me. I didn't need to move the nav from car to car (the Prius has factory nav). I also got Bluetooth for my cell phone and an Ipod hook up. I know, I know some folks think it is sacrilege to listen to the radio in this car but I have done some long trips and it is very nice to have. The look is VERY clean since you don't have any wires, antenna, suction cups, cigarette adapter plugs, etc. The unit has about 1000 more features than I need, but I have figured out how to use the 5 I need.

Oh and it plays DVDs which for me is useless bells and whistles, but I took the DVD from the GT Year Book and leave it in the unit. Then when I am showing people the car, and they want to know how I came to like the car, or how I could buy it without a test drive, I play them the Ford GT “The One” commercial well they sit in the car. It clears it up for them.

I've seen this in 05redrich's car and it's awesome. It's the best "small screen" sat nav I've ever seen (by a long shot).

Rob

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Then when I am showing people the car, and they want to know how I came to like the car, or how I could buy it without a test drive, I play them the Ford GT “The One” commercial well they sit in the car. It clears it up for them.

That must be just about the coolest demo ever. Sitting in the driver seat of your GT and watching "The One." They probably step out of the vehicle with a sense of awe.

:thumbsup

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
jvc

just got mine installed this past weekend.Very impressive.Figuring out how to use it will be the impressive part.