Best Years FGT? what issues

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
I have been looking for 'the right' Gen 2 Ford GT for a short while and make it a trio in my garage :cool: - I just got back from the FGT reunion with my gold SF Ford GT40 MkII and spent some time looking at and getting in a few while there...which has now motivated me search a bit harder.
Questions for those of you who have one - I am told go with 2020 or newer to get the updates? what should I look for in any FGT that I am seriously considering? Ideally, I would find something between 1000-3500 miles, since I plan on driving it and not just parking.

Reactions: Special K

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't think you can notice fhe 13 HP difference. Pretty much the cars are all the same except for heritage edition packages.

Reactions: JWZ

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I thought the Gen 2's have revised cooling / radiators or some such ... ?

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I thought the Gen 2's have revised cooling / radiators or some such ... ?
The intercoolers are larger on the newer cars. They basically fill the opening, whereas previously they were shorter and there was a panel at the bottom.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Since you said you plan on diving yours, you should consider one that’s been driven a bit and sorted out. As mentioned already, 13 HP is unnoticeable when driving. Unless tracked hard, the larger inter-coolers aren’t really needed either. I just drove about 250 miles and hit 3500 on the clock this past weekend. Mine is an 18 that didn’t flinch in the West Texas upper 90s ambient temps! Oh, and definitely add Hefner’s titanium cat back! Enjoy your hunt!

Reactions: THamonGT

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
^^^^

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I have been looking for 'the right' Gen 2 Ford GT for a short while and make it a trio in my garage :cool: - I just got back from the FGT reunion with my gold SF Ford GT40 MkII and spent some time looking at and getting in a few while there...which has now motivated me search a bit harder.
Questions for those of you who have one - I am told go with 2020 or newer to get the updates? what should I look for in any FGT that I am seriously considering? Ideally, I would find something between 1000-3500 miles, since I plan on driving it and not just parking.
Was that your gold GT40 last month at the Promontory Cars and Cocktails?

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
My 2019 had the soft start module replaced...see recent thread.

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Was that your gold GT40 last month at the Promontory Cars and Cocktails?
Yes it was.. are you a Warehouse Motorclub member? 15EE615D-B7B8-4D3D-A042-CCE7273AF8B5_1_105_c.jpegIMG_1960.jpeg

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I have a 2022 that is up for sale if someone is looking for a liquid red. PM me for details.GT1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: QD32 and RaceDeck

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I don't know the years but sounds like there are better remote charger plug ins, better hydraulic lines/cooler, a different battery setup, and anti-scuff tape for the wing. A guy at Pitt blew a line to something.

#6-GULFgt

Aug 22, 2006
I don't know the years but sounds like there are better remote charger plug ins, better hydraulic lines/cooler, a different battery setup, and anti-scuff tape for the wing. A guy at Pitt blew a line to something.
So that wasn't a line. It was the oil filter they have had a bad batch and a few cars have experienced the issue. It ruptured the side of the filter and split it open.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaceDeck

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Yes it was.. are you a Warehouse Motorclub member? View attachment 70121View attachment 70122
They’ve been courting me… I’d like to join, but can’t justify the cost right now with me spending so little time up in Park City. The GT40 looked great!

Reactions: RaceDeck

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
I don't keep any cars there ( have a garage in SLC) but I did join. They have some really great events throughout the year both driving and social

Reactions: Special K

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
So that wasn't a line. It was the oil filter they have had a bad batch and a few cars have experienced the issue. It ruptured the side of the filter and split it open.
CRAP! Thanks for clarifying and nice to meet you. Motor oil looks clean.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I still have my 2017 Ford GT #H045 for sale with 4,800 miles on it and sorted out! I am not going to sell it to a broker!! Someone who will drive it and enjoy it like I have!

Attachments

• IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5048.jpeg
    IMG_5048.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5044.jpeg
    IMG_5044.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
It's my opinion that the year is not as important as the miliage and service history. I prefer a car with miles and that all the bugs have been worked out. They tend to be the most enjoyable cars to own and drive.

Joe

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Agreed… thought I found the right one and the deal was done, but fell through. So now I'm back on the lookout