Sep 13, 2018
America

Reactions: Apollo and AJB

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I'm in the never forget camp. Changed everything, is such an understatement.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Was in Manhattan, stopped in a little breakfast place before a meeting. The first tower had already fallen, and we were all watching the TV when the 2nd tower was hit. My (now) wife was working at Deutsche Bank, across the street from the south tower. Saw the bodies coming down. A terrible time, to be sure, though for a brief period afterwards all New Yorkers (and most of America) all seemed to pull together. So there was that.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I was still in the Naval Reserves at that time. I was reactivated a month later, spent most if it in the DC area, then to Iraq in 2004. I have to wonder if a similar attack today would pull us back together as a country, or split us apart.

Reactions: 2112

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was watching the Today show before taking a shower and the Today show broke for the news of the first crash. Then while the host - can't remember her name - was talking and not paying attention the camera that was on the fire on the first tower recorded the second plane hit the other tower. She just kept on talking but had no idea what was going on behind her on the screen.

More memorable, sorry, was the night of 9/11/13 when the great Colorado Front Range flash flood came through Lyons and destroyed 120 some homes, and most of the town infrastructure. Immediately after the flood the National Guard started ferrying people in from the outer areas that were landlocked and literally landed Black Hawk helicopters on Main Street. Things were actually pretty well under control, and then FEMA showed up and the situation changed from all the help we need to all the help we could stand. We had no damage to our house but were locked out for almost 3 months with no utilities. The exit to town became one way - if you left you couldn't come back. I stayed in town and then with a friend and my wife brought me stuff at the checkpoint where she walked up and handed me stuff. I helped people rebuild and recover.

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
So basically what you are saying is when the government says they are here to help, that may not always be the result.
I was watching the Today show before taking a shower and the Today show broke for the news of the first crash. Then while the host - can't remember her name - was talking and not paying attention the camera that was on the fire on the first tower recorded the second plane hit the other tower. She just kept on talking but had no idea what was going on behind her on the screen.

More memorable, sorry, was the night of 9/11/13 when the great Colorado Front Range flash flood came through Lyons and destroyed 120 some homes, and most of the town infrastructure. Immediately after the flood the National Guard started ferrying people in from the outer areas that were landlocked and literally landed Black Hawk helicopters on Main Street. Things were actually pretty well under control, and then FEMA showed up and the situation changed from all the help we need to all the help we could stand. We had no damage to our house but were locked out for almost 3 months with no utilities. The exit to town became one way - if you left you couldn't come back. I stayed in town and then with a friend and my wife brought me stuff at the checkpoint where she walked up and handed me stuff. I helped people rebuild and recover.
Remember, most of the government has never had a job where getting something done is a concern.

Reactions: 289 4spd

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Our Twin sons became Eagle Scouts that day. I had flown company employees to Houston for meetings. We landed minutes after the first plane hit the tower. I told everyone that the airports are going to get shut down and to immediately call Rental Car agencies to get a car to drive back to Louisiana. I made it back in time to my boys Board of Revue. They will never forget what happened that day and will never forget the day they became Eagle Scouts. Proud parent moment.